The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wow! Congrats Palmu! :) 

Well deserved IMO as he clearly had the most impressive season among the Liiga rookies. 

I think most of us would have been thrilled with one award for one of the prospects.  What's happened this season feels too good to be true

• Upvote 3

Full breakdown is on Liiga.fi:

http://liiga.fi/uutiset/2018/05/02/liiga-palkitsi-kauden-201718-parhaat-tassa-palkittujen-lista

Looks like Palmu beat Kotkaniemi 308-127, with 52 first place votes to Kotkaniemi’s 10. Olli Juolevi (86) actually finished 4th in the voting (points based on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd votes), and with 8 first place votes (3rd most).

Juolevi also finished 16th (3 voting points) in the best defender caregory (won by Heiskanen with 197).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Full breakdown is on Liiga.fi:

http://liiga.fi/uutiset/2018/05/02/liiga-palkitsi-kauden-201718-parhaat-tassa-palkittujen-lista

Looks like Palmu beat Kotkaniemi 308-127, with 52 first place votes to Kotkaniemi’s 10. Olli Juolevi (86) actually finished 4th in the voting, and with 8 first place votes (3rd most).

Juolevi also finished 16th (3 votes) in the best defender caregory (won by Heiskanen with 197).

Didn't Phillip Larsen win one of those Euro league's top defender award too?  I think OJ's game will transfer to the NHL, where Hiskanen's won't.

Palmu is going to become a top nine guy for us.  He's got bite to him too.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Philip Larsen? I think he won Danish defenseman of the year in 13/14. ;) 

He was also the top scoring D in KHL this past year.

As for Heiskanen, I think he’s gonna be really good in the NHL. But you could be right, and his skills might fail to translate. I don’t really see it happening but I don’t have a crystal ball.

In any case, I don’t really care too much about Juolevi vs Heiskanen. I know some people want OJ to be the better of those two. Maybe he will be, but I’m not betting on it at this point. And that’s fine by me.

I just want OJ to be good for us. I’m not too interested in what other teams’ prospects accomplish (other than more stars making a better NHL product). Heiskanen can be a perennial Norris winner and that still won’t affect my feelings on Juolevi. I think he’s gonna be really for Vancouver.

At the end of the day, that's really what matters. It's irrelevant to compare prospects, because each team is in a different situation.

Edited by Qwags
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't Phillip Larsen win one of those Euro league's top defender award too?  I think OJ's game will transfer to the NHL, where Hiskanen's won't.

Palmu is going to become a top nine guy for us.  He's got bite to him too.

I don't know why you would say that Alf.  The kid has played exceptionally well this year and has deservedly won the best defence man in his league.  At 18yrs old!  I believe he was JB's top choice in the '17 draft.  Fortunately for us, JB regrouped and picked Pettersson!:)

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know why you would say that Alf.  The kid has played exceptionally well this year and has deservedly won the best defence man in his league.  At 18yrs old!  I believe he was JB's top choice in the '17 draft.  Fortunately for us, JB regrouped and picked Pettersson!:)

Yeah, Heiskanen just won the Liiga version of the Norris. He's the youngest player to ever do so. 

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Yeah, Heiskanen just won the Liiga version of the Norris. He's the youngest player to ever do so. 

Number of Finnish players to win the actual Norris = 0

Not saying he won't be a great player but that's hardly an impressive list of winners. Best player to win best Liiga defenseman was Rafalski, and he was 25 when he did it. Then there's Vatanen but beyond that there's no one.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not saying he won't be a great player but that's hardly an impressive list of winners. Best player to win best Liiga defenseman was Rafalski, and he was 25 when he did it. Then there's Vatanen but beyond that there's no one.

Exactly.  Kid is too light to have D game transfer.  So glad we don’t have him, so we have to watch him bustaroo.  Stars suck (is that his team?) and this kid is a Euro player just like Nuke.  How many here loved Nuke?  Where is he now?  That’s two top picks wasted by Dallas.

Is there a Dallas board?  

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How many won it at 18?

Look at the noise Pettersson has generated because he won a similar award at the same age. The only difference between the two is one is a Canucks prospect and one isn't. 

I'm not trying to guarantee that Heiskanen will be a Norris candidate/winner, but the only thing that makes that look less impressive is blinding homer glasses. 

On 30/04/2018 at 10:47 PM, komodo0921 said:

I really hope we get him over here.

This kids got all the talent in the world and could be something really special here. 

It would be really good for his development to get him back onto the smaller ice surface against pros in the "A".

Could see him panning out as a left winger on Horvat's line.

Shinkaruk says hi!

Let's not build yet another small player up before he even gets 20 NHL games under his belt.

• Upvote 1

1. Palmu on his teammate Olli Juolevi, "In playoffs he did a very good job. He started playing better after Christmas." #Canucks

0 replies0 retweets5 likes

Retweet

Palmu : "I am ready for the next step of playing pro hockey in North America. I will have a good summer, take the steps to play in the NHL." #Canucks

0 replies0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Palmu on winning rookie of the year, "It was a good feeling winning that award. After Christmas it started rolling better and better, I feel good about my season." #Canucks

0 replies0 retweets9 likes

Retweet

Just talked with Petrus Palmu who was named the top rookie in Finland, Palmu tells me that he has been released by TPS to sign with the #Canucks.

1 reply1 retweet10 likes

Retweet

Definitely excited to hear about his release and him coming over to north america next fall and competing hard and helping Utica out! More propsects over here practicing and playing with other fellow future Canucks the better!!

Congrats, now just to make it officical with his ELC signing!

I don't get why some people bring up Heiskanen as if he's a reminder of Juolevi's list of faults and a terrible choice by Benning.  He's a different player, picked in a different year, with a higher pick that the Canucks never had the opportunity to select.  He had a better year than Juolevi, good for him.  So did Rasmus Dahlin, I bet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Shinkaruk says hi!

Let's not build yet another small player up before he even gets 20 NHL games under his belt.

Palmu and Shinkaruk are NOTHING alike.  Palmu is only "smallish" in height; he is a tank compared to the likes of Point, Gourde, Marner, Bratt, etc.  They do not even play the same style of game.  If this kid even becomes an AHL regular that is a huge win for a 6th round pick, especially so soon after the draft.

I figured he'd be there a couple years before coming over to see if he can translate his game to the pro level against men, but clearly he's NA pro-ready already.  His GM was right.  Amazing to think a 6th round guy could be knocking at the door after only a year post-draft.  Jesper Bratt is a fairly direct comparable -- 5'10 175, played in Europe his D+1 (not in the SEL but Allsvenskan), and also a 6th rounder.  Petrus had a higher PPG than Bratt as well, and consider that Bratt put up more PPG this year with the Devils than with AIK.  Will be great to have him reunited with his roomie Gadjovich only a year later, too.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2