The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cremation vs. Burial – where to check in when you’ve checked out?

Slegr

Surprised I haven't seen anyone say they want to be buried with Edler, the Sedins, Benning, and Linden, etc. as pallbearers so the Canucks can let them down one last time B)

In all seriousness I'd like to be stripped of as many viable organs as possible and/or donated for scientific endeavors. Maybe if I am in good shape I can be used in an anatomy lab like at my alma mater, otherwise cremation is fine. No opinions on where to be spread after. 

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd suspect it's a more traditional thing for Christians than a religious thing. As a devout Christian myself, I see no reason to be buried, as stated in my post earlier. That said, both my grandfathers have been buried, so I guess it's just more of a traditional thing.

some of the older members of my church don't believe in cremation, but the younger ones like me prefer the cheaper alternative. 

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

I'm anti ing up.

load me up in a trebuchet preferably on a tall ship and then fling my corpse into the sea.

Almost like a viking send off - corpse on a boat that's loaded with tinder, set ablaze and sailed with the ebb tide.

Except I propose your corpse be doused, set ablaze and launched on a burning surfboard from a trebuchet aboard a burning log boom.

OP- Ive always wanted to be burned and my ashes be planted with a sapling. 

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

Surprised I haven't seen anyone say they want to be buried with Edler, the Sedins, Benning, and Linden, etc. as pallbearers so the Canucks can let them down one last time B)

In all seriousness I'd like to be stripped of as many viable organs as possible and/or donated for scientific endeavors. Maybe if I am in good shape I can be used in an anatomy lab like at my alma mater, otherwise cremation is fine. No opinions on where to be spread after. 

49 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I don't believe in an afterlife nor do I care what happens to my body.

Burn it, I suppose.

Both of these.  Use my organs all you want.  I'm dead anyway.  Otherwise, just do whatever's cheapest.

18 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Cremation......why would I want or need  to buy real estate when I'm not around to enjoy it ??

BTW.....I've already prepaid for my final arrangements.

me too. don't want my family to have to do it all at the time. i've given my son as my power of attorney on all things. 

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm 100% for cremation. I don't care about my body when I'm dead. I'm dead and my spirit is elsewhere. No need to ruin the environment or cause unnecessary expenses for my family in burying me. Just do it as cheaply as possible.

This for me. I don't care if they mince my body to put me in big macs, I just don't want to be a burden when I'm gone (I've been enough of one while alive :P )

Funerals are serious money grabs, and it really is unfortunate that people get taken advantage of when they are vulnerable.

It's a very personal thing to be buried v cremated.  It may be family tradition or religious.  Put it in your will what you want done.  If you don't tell people how you feel, they'll make up your mind for you.

FWIW, in recent years, burial plots have become available in Vancouver's Mountain View Cemetary.  It had been full for years.  Why?  After a certain amount of time, relatives don't visit graves any more so after 100 years or there abouts, it is legal to re-sell the plot.  I heard this on the radio so my facts may be fuzzy.  If you're interested, here's a link to the laws in BC http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_04035_01   Also, private sales are possible.  It seems the laws are different from Province to Province and State to State.

Salvadore Dali was exhumed for a paternity suit in Spain and he had no known children when he died in 1989.  His estate is worth 400M Euro and a child would be able to claim 1/4 if they could prove they were indeed his child.

How this relates to this thread?  He was embalmed and buried.  It turns out, his famous mustache remains in perfect condition.

Image result for photo of salvador dali

Neil Degrasse Tyson spoke about this in an interview and it was awesome.  

He wants to get buried so his body can give all the nutrients and what no back to the earth.   It was a great interview. 

I also 'dig' the idea of being buried, but the casket does seem to 'ruin' the idea of giving back.  

My vote goes to naked dead body, hole I. The forest, with a tree planted over me.    

Have those roots do their thing.   

22 minutes ago, brilac said:

I'm really into cremation.  It's cheap and better for the environment. 

Typical machine uses around 2000 cubic feet of gas and 4KW hours of electricity to cremate 1 body.

How is that better for the environment?

Archived