The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL.com article about Boeser

Rubik

Baertschi - Horvat - _______

Sedin - Sedin - ___

Ericksson - Sutter - 

Just looking at the first 3 lines. Only reason I have Baertschi  is the chemistry him and Horvat already have. Sedins are a shoo in as are Sutter and Ericksson.

Notables we are missing IMO are Boeser, Gagner, Granlund, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Virtanen,  & Rodin

Now most likely the 4th line will have Dorsett (overpayed) &potentially Gaunce. 

Going forward based off last year, my lines are :

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Ericksson- Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Granlund- Dorsett

Missing are Burmistrov, Virtanen, and Rodin..

Now I am not familiar with Burmistrov, but Virtanen and Rodin need to get top 6 minutes to see where they are at. Its now or never for these 2

54 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

If we are able to let some of the prospects build some chemistry in the AHL why not do that?  I mean unless Brock kicks down the door he might start in the A with some of the other prospects and get some repetition and practice in the pro game; in the meanwhile, he would be building up his pro game and establishing some chemistry with players that could end up as teammates in the future. There are others including Dahlen, Goldobin, Virtanen who might also have to play in the AHL due to a shortage of spots. It couldn't be a bad thing, they are the call-up options for this year and then next year they will likely start in the NHL.  

This year we need to stockpile as many prospects and picks as we can in return for some aging veterans and recent FA's we have signed. We have enough potential and intriguing pieces though that we won't be as bad as last year so even if we place in the 5-10 range we'll have a good shot of getting Dahlin and picking high in every consequent round.  

Then imagine a graduation of Dahlin, Dahlen, Boeser, Goldobin, Boeser, Virtanen, Juolevi, Brisbois, & potentially Gaudette as players who are ready to make an impact. 

About as well thought out post as we can hope for, thanks for contributing.  What you said I believe is exactly what the brass intend to do which has lot to do with the free agent signings.  Getzlaf and Perry could have come in a year before they did, instead they kept them down and they became a crucial part in ANA cup win a year later.  Because they developed chemistry, got the ice time they needed to develop a little more and came in confident after terrorizing AHL goalies.  

Not saying we are going to win the cup by doing this...but what it will do is develop them more, create good opportunities when injuries happen, and let Benning strategize for the next draft by trading guys out to make room for them next year and probably orchestrating a mini tank to get us another piece in 2018....Boeser might make the team, but in all likelihood nobody else will.  

There will definitely be competition for the 2nd line, but I have a feeling the most competition will be for the 3rd.  I'm fairly certain the top 6 will include the Sedins with Loui, and Horvat with Baer and ? (I hope Boeser makes the decision easy).  That's only really one spot in the top 6.  The real competition will be for line 3, Sutter, Boeser, Granlund, Gagner, Burmistrov, Rodin.  The real competition for the top 6 starts next season after the Sedins retire or take a step back.  There will a lot of competition just to get in the lineup really, even the fourth line is getting crowded.  No shortage of centers too, perhaps a 3rd line of all center?  Sutter with Gagner and Granlund?

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser came in the day after playing for UND and scored for the Canucks. He then scored some more over the next few games. This off season he is fully aware of his competition and I'm sure he'll be ready, and even better than he was. If he doesn't make the Canucks and goes to Utica, I will be shocked, and disappointed. Maybe it is putting pressure on him, but he doesn't appear to be affected by any pressure.

My guess is he makes the team, Rodin doesn't, Burmistrov doesn't, and Gagner plays the wing with Eriksson and Sutter as line mates. Dorsett is pretty much done IMO.

RWers: Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen and Gagner.

I would suggest;

Danny Hank Granlund

Baertschi Bo Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Gagner

Gaunce Burmistrov Dorsett

Boucher - Rodin

With, possibly, Bo's line being the real top line 5 on 5. Plus some twists on the PP. That gives Boucher and Rodin, who require waivers, a trial. And Goldobin, Jake & Dahlen a start where they can put some oomph into Utica.  If someone above falters, including Boeser, they'll get a crack...

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Got to say I am a little befuddled with why they signed Burmistrov. I just don't see him playing with the Canucks, unless later in the season when injuries happen. Maybe he'd be a better callup than Megna and Chaput? And does having Rodin and Gagner signed make things more difficult for Boeser, Goldobin and Virtanen to make the team this year? I was hoping with Green coming in as coach, the young guys would all get the chance to play. The way it is now, Goldobin and Virtanen may play in Utica if there's no room. Then what happens in a couple of years when Lind and Lockwood make a case to be on the team? Does Goldobin and Virtanen get pushed farther down the depth chart or will Lind and Lockwood toil away in Utica? I foresee some trades happening.

Burmistrov , a former 8th overall pick, just my opinion, is actually a very talented player.  Just needs some space, purpose. If Gaunce and Dorsett crash & check, he can concentrate on winning draws & setting up plays. Holding the middle defensively. It is a role I think sets him up to win. Whether or not Dorsett & Gaunce finish?

And he's capable of playing up the lineup.

Chaput & Megna embraced skating and checking.  A lesson all ''skill'' players, who don't quite win a top 6 & PP time role, need to learn. Including Burmistrov. Chaput and Megna were probably only in the NHL last year because certain skill players did not embrace, were injured (Rodin) or were not ready for that side of hockey. Hence we have new guys, hopefully who can score, again including Burmistrov, auditioning against them this year.  

Burmistrov to me, is a Mike Santorelli. Who got an extra few years in the NHL by getting in way better shape, competing & taking on roles he did not when he was 20. And Santorelli, ergo Burmi, did have waaaay more capability to score, and compete in the offensive end than Megna. But Megna will have a job if Burmistrov does not play two way hockey.

Oh man, we just could not abdicate & leave those depth roles to Megna & Chaput again if our rookies did not win a spot. I am very happy we signed these guys.

If boeser comes into camp and proves he's NHL ready, the team should have no problem waiving some bubble NHLers. All the guys we have that would be waived were either picked up on waivers themselves (eg. Boucher) or they were FA signings to short term, low money deals. If we lose one or two to waivers, they are easily replaceable. Pointless to keep our young guys (boeser in perticular) off the roster just to hang on to low value assets we will probably let walk next offseason anyways. If the kids show up to camp and are the BPAs, then they should be on the team. But if they show up and can't cut it, then these FA's fill in the gaps until they can. That simple

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. Lots of players come into the league and light it up for their first few games. Then fall off. Boeser looks like a fantastic prospect. But placing expectations on him based on a 9 game stretch is short sighted.  Let him come in to camp and earn his spot. Then take it from there. 

Is that you Jason King?  

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Got to say I am a little befuddled with why they signed Burmistrov. I just don't see him playing with the Canucks, unless later in the season when injuries happen. Maybe he'd be a better callup than Megna and Chaput? And does having Rodin and Gagner signed make things more difficult for Boeser, Goldobin and Virtanen to make the team this year? I was hoping with Green coming in as coach, the young guys would all get the chance to play. The way it is now, Goldobin and Virtanen may play in Utica if there's no room. Then what happens in a couple of years when Lind and Lockwood make a case to be on the team? Does Goldobin and Virtanen get pushed farther down the depth chart or will Lind and Lockwood toil away in Utica? I foresee some trades happening.

I actually like this signing.  It's saying to the players "no free rides".  It's saying, "if you want an NHL job you have to take it away from an NHL player."  It also says to the fans, "hey, we're still trying to win, even though we are trying to improve".  I don't think it means that the young guys will never play, it just means they have to earn it.  And I like that.  I explain below why I'm happy that we have the competition.  It shows a commitment to trying to win now.  And if we end up with too many bodies after we sort out our starting line up and we end up having to waive someone, then so be it.  It cultivates a winning culture.  GCG!

7 hours ago, nux_win said:

Yep.  I'm loving it that there is so much competition at every position.  That's a great start towards developing a winning culture.  The next step is to go out and win some games.  Enough with this talk of tanking, let's start winning now, or at least start thinking that way.  Believing that we can win always precedes actually winning.  And having competition between talented individuals for jobs is a good way to start believing in oneself and the team.  GCG!

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is it's simply to give us as many options as possible. Newell Brown saw him down in Arizona and said he seemed to have the right mentality moving forward, or something along those lines, according to an interview with Benning.

He's on a 1 year contract anyway so worst that can happen is he doesn't make it. lol

5 hours ago, combover said:

Boeser on a two way contract and doesn't require waivers.not including him van will have 25 players (when gaunce and Horvat sign) on one way NHL contracts  so 26 if just boeser stays up or  Goldobin. 

So that would require waiving three or four guys pay them a NHL salary to be in the farm if they clear waivers. At best there might be competion for one forward spot and biega megna Chaput get waived.

Unless there are some trades the competion is for Utica not Vancouver when benning signed  gags  wierdcoat brumistrov delzotto he filled up the roster.

This false sale of competion is just a sales tactic to provide a little hype for a roster that looked  to be set at the First week of July.

There should't be anything set about this roster :P

Consistency will be the big thing for Boeser if he sticks, just like the rest of the young wingers. We know he'll score lots, he'll probably come out of the gates scoring plenty, but young players often struggle a bit further down the stretch. If he plays sound defensively, contributes on the PP and can generate some sort of offence on a consistent basis then he should stay. 

If anyone has a chance to breakout it'll be Boeser but I'd rather give guys like Rodin, Burmistrov, Gagne etc. adequate opportunities as well than get tunnel vision. We don't want Boeser going up against top team's top defensive pairings on a nightly basis already.

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Consistency will be the big thing for Boeser if he sticks, just like the rest of the young wingers. We know he'll score lots, he'll probably come out of the gates scoring plenty, but young players often struggle a bit further down the stretch. If he plays sound defensively, contributes on the PP and can generate some sort of offence on a consistent basis then he should stay. 

If anyone has a chance to breakout it'll be Boeser but I'd rather give guys like Rodin, Burmistrov, Gagne etc. adequate opportunities as well than get tunnel vision. We don't want Boeser going up against top team's top defensive pairings on a nightly basis already.

The way I see it, Horvat's had some cold streaks and he stuck no problem. Boeser has to show he belongs in this league, just like Horvat did. Have him find a niche and make the coach want to keep him. Consistency can be focused on after that point. That's how I perceive it anyway.

As far as giving other players opportunities. If they've earned those opportunities then sure, but I don't want to see Rodin handed a spot on a silver platter if he doesn't show he can play.

4 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Baertschi - Horvat - _______

Sedin - Sedin - ___

Ericksson - Sutter - 

Just looking at the first 3 lines. Only reason I have Baertschi  is the chemistry him and Horvat already have. Sedins are a shoo in as are Sutter and Ericksson.

Notables we are missing IMO are Boeser, Gagner, Granlund, Goldobin, Burmistrov, Virtanen,  & Rodin

Now most likely the 4th line will have Dorsett (overpayed) &potentially Gaunce. 

Going forward based off last year, my lines are :

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Ericksson- Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Granlund- Dorsett

Missing are Burmistrov, Virtanen, and Rodin..

Now I am not familiar with Burmistrov, but Virtanen and Rodin need to get top 6 minutes to see where they are at. Its now or never for these 2

Baer and granlund are top 6 locks

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The way I see it, Horvat's had some cold streaks and he stuck no problem. Boeser has to show he belongs in this league, just like Horvat did. Have him find a niche and make the coach want to keep him. Consistency can be focused on after that point. That's how I perceive it anyway.

As far as giving other players opportunities. If they've earned those opportunities then sure, but I don't want to see Rodin handed a spot on a silver platter if he doesn't show he can play.

Consistency comes first, the reward comes after.  I think people need to prepare themselves that Boeser has as much chance starting in Utica as Vancouver

6 minutes ago, ice orca said:

I don't know why you got ignorant at that post or the poster..it's a very true statement.

Uh, was neither ignorant at that post or the poster - in fact was trying to make his/her point even stronger by pointing out an exact situation from Canuck's past.    Which helps it be even a true statement with an actual example.    Not sure why you took exception to that - whatever.

Archived