The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most anticipated thing for 2017-18?

danjr

On 2017-09-09 at 6:02 PM, Chris12345 said:

A cold snowy day combined with multipe driveway shovels (I hate winter) and a day of skiiing while going to the store to get fresh meat.

Coming home and making a stew at 2pm and slow cooking it to be ready at 530. Killing a bunch of buds and eatting dinner while watching the laughs lose to the Habs.

Que the music.....the Canucks are playing the Oilers and I've just opened a bottle of Laphroaig......

In other words I like my Saturday nights.

I recall those days, before children and the commandeering of the TV for Saturday night sleep over kids TV stuff and dance video games. 

Remember that scene in Billy Madison where he has come back to class and tells that kid to never leave/change? That's what I'd likely do to you on a snowy night this winter. Enjoy it. And then enjoy having kids, even when they ruin the double header.  

If the Sedins do announce their retirement. Then the final game of the season vs Edmonton would be a sight to see. 

The three western Canadian teams have always hated each other's guts. But we've always sent off each others' captains with respect.

Iginla took the flames out of their locker room to shake hands with linden.

Henrik and Daniel did the same for ryan Smyth.

The oilers will repay the favour with McDavid leading the handshake line as the sedins leave the ice for the last time. One era passing the torch to the next

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

You were excited for last year but not this year? That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm stoked for the season to start. There's so much to look forward to IMO. 

Personally, I don't really care about Daniel reaching 1000 points. Sure, it's an amazing milestone but barring a horrific injury, we all know it's going to happen. I'm looking forward to the unknowns, something we have no shortage of. Can Bo, Baer, Granlund take the next step? Will Boeser or Goldobin establish themselves as legit NHL scoring threats? Will Stetcher and Hutton become legit top 4 defensemen? Will Gudbranson bounce back and have  a big year? Will Brendan Gaunce score a goal?! Haha I say that tongue in cheek - of course he will! What will become of the wildcard that is Rodin? How will our UFA signings fair? Will Marky take the reigns and become a true # 1 goalie? How will the players react to Travis Green and is 'real good' in his vocabulary? What about Griffen Molino? It's only been a couple prospect games but damn does he ever look good. How will the prospects fair in Utica? Will the Green Men make a return? Ok I don't really care about that one. But there's so much going on this year. More than in recent memory. I'm pumped!!!

You might be right - I may have said the same thing last year ;)

On 9/8/2017 at 4:44 PM, danjr said:

Well for me it comes down to 14 points.

With 14 points Daniel Sedin with be the 87th player to score 1000 points.

he will also be the 80th player to score 1000 points and have played 1000 games in the NHL.

What becomes much better is he will be the 25th player who has attained 1000 points and 1000 games with one franchise (from the start of career.  Many moved on to another team for the last year or two of their career).

There have only been 16 players who have played 1000 or more games with only one franchise.   So hopefully He and Henrik will be 17 and 18.

If they attain this they will probably be in even more selective company of those who played 1000 games or more and scored 1000 points or more with only one franchise.

Now here is where things get interesting.

Of the 25 players who scored 1000 points + 1000 games for 1 franchise 19 are members of the Hockey Hall of Fame.  5 are playing or recently retired.  Dave Taylor is the only member of this list not assured HHOF status.

So looking at this list I am sure the Twins will make it into the HHOF, especially with each winning a scoring championship, which many of the 25 hadn't.

So that is what I am looking forward to this season, what are you looking forward to?  Young guns making the team, rebound seasons for the veterans, goalie controversy?

I don't think it's even a question of whether they make the HHOF or not.

It's whether they are first ballot hall of famers or not. In my books they certainly should be first ballot hall of famers. 

What I am anticipating the most is watching the development of the younger players (OJ,Virtanen,Dahlen,Boeser)..and also guys like Baertschi,Gudbranson and Granlund taking another step forward.

Also,watching hockey should be a lot more exciting this season...finally,a coach with an attacking mentality....How many games last season did we concede the first goal?..almost every game.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:07 PM, GrandpaCanuck said:

This year I want to see two things.

I'm very excited to see Rodin to make the NHL. Its rare a touted draft pick leaves to Europe and gets to come back to the NHL, and appears to have all the tools to make a difference.

I intend to watch a great deal of Utica games this year. I remember seeing a lot of the Moose games years ago and it made so much more enjoyable when those players (bieksa, burrows, kesler, etc) made it to the NHL. I fully expect the exact same trend to happen for us over the next few years, and its rare to be able to see it all happen right from the beginning. Should be fun to watch.

One of my most anticipated thing is watching Virtanen prove the critics wrong this season and step it up into the big league. But yup there should be still some fine young talent left on the Comets.  I'd love to watch them more this year for the reasons you stated. As in a rebuild, that relationship between Vancouver and Utica, and its players, will be even more integral now.

Which gives me an excuse to rant a bit. Why on gawds green earth, or gawds cold ice, would I have to hear CALGARY'S minor league's games on the radio instead of ours?  Thank the same gawd they left Abbotsford in 2014.  I get that they were supposed to be Abbotsford's adopted team, but why would I be interested in listening to games that follow Calgary's young stars instead of games following young Canucks?  I wished they'd had played Wolves/Comets games on the radio instead. And I'd like to at least hear it now again that we have two sports stations.

12 hours ago, teepain said:

Hopefully this contract year for sedins means 60-70 pt season , playing with vanek?

Benning was quoted saying Travis Green wanted to try Gagner with the Sedins. Who knows what comes of that? Gagner is more of a set up man, which would essentially give that line 3 of them. I would probably prefer either Granlund or Vanek myself. Or even better - Goldobin. Having Goldobin emerge as a legit top 6 forward would be huge. 

13 hours ago, Derp... said:

The powerplay looking like a powerplay again. I cant wait for that. Also our Defence to score more than 15 goals combined or what ever it was last year. 

Our powerplay guy wants the Sedins with Sutter and edler as our number one because he thinks it's 2010 and Sutter = Kesler

So unless that has changed since the hiring or Green overules that, I would expect our Powerplay being the same as last season for a while. 

23 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Our powerplay guy wants the Sedins with Sutter and edler as our number one because he thinks it's 2010 and Sutter = Kesler

So unless that has changed since the hiring or Green overules that, I would expect our Powerplay being the same as last season for a while. 

That quote was before they added Vanek, Gagner and Del Zotto who have all been told they will be on the PP.  Who loses their spots - younger players or vets like Eriksson, Sutter, Edler.  

6 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Benning was quoted saying Travis Green wanted to try Gagner with the Sedins. Who knows what comes of that? Gagner is more of a set up man, which would essentially give that line 3 of them. I would probably prefer either Granlund or Vanek myself. Or even better - Goldobin. Having Goldobin emerge as a legit top 6 forward would be huge. 

Ya goldobin needs to take the bull by the horns this year , to finally show what he can do. At the end of the day there are so many spots available for young guns. Who knows , maybe the PTO players are here to push and not take a spot from them . 

Most anticipated?

-Draft lottery

-Seeing how good Boeser is over a full season

Most hopeful for?

-Benning either adding some (1st, 2nd round) picks or getting fired

-OJ showing signs he's the next Boeser, not the next Virtanen

Not anticipating at all, but dreaming of?

-Virtanen shocking the world and turning into a quality NHLer

-Drafting Dahlin

Archived