The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

I really like this trade. It has Benning's trademark all over it. Take a once highly touted prospect in his early 20s, when his stock is down, for a pretty low return and try to ressurect his career, which proved to be very successful with Baertschi and Granlund. I thought we should've claimed Pokka, this trade just clarified that for me.

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Biega hasn't and doesn't appear to be on waivers.

We still technically have 26 on the roster and have to get that down to 23. OJ to Finland should get one of those. Waiving Wier another, then it's Archie vs Boeser vs Virtanen for the 3rd guy.

I have a feeling we are going to see Boeser sent down,,,

4 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

My info: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

This indicates that Biega is already gone, but if he isn't I suspect that he soon will be.

regards,  G.

CapFriendly does not adjust the off-season roster. It's not accurate in the off-season.

At the end of the regular season - every player with a NHL contract gets added back to the NHL roster.  They need to be assigned to be removed from the roster.  Biega has to go through waivers to be assigned to the AHL.  Canucks have not put him on waivers.

So many questions...

• Can he be sent to Utica without being put on waivers?
  • If he stays, who goes?
  • Has his game deteriorated that much or is this a cap move by the Pens?

I remember rumors a couple years ago that the Canucks were hot to trot for this kid and wanted him in the Bonino deal I think? Now we get him for Pedan and a fourth. Wow.

Just now, BowtieCanuck said:

With a season already burned through on his entry level contract, I don't know if I see that happening. Archibald seems the most likely one to be cut.

It seems they only have one spot left when all is said and done, and that spot will likely go to Virtanen.

So much for "making room".

I'll give Pouliot a chance. But I'm not convinced this was such a smart move.  Yet another first round reclamation project. How many of former first rounders, that did not live up to potential and couldn't handle the NHL and took a downwards projectory over a period of years, ever came roaring back to the same status?  Some I'm sure do, but I'd bet the odds are terrible based on history.  Pouliot was on his way downward, he wasn't even an option in the season when Letang went out, or as depth in the last playoffs. While Pedan's play is improving. Plus he has size, which the Canucks back end is sorely lacking in, especially with Tryamkin's departure. Not to mention yet another draft pick traded away on a long shot. I thought we were going the other direction.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If the team is keeping up Biega then I am perfectly good with this. I figured he would be the guy to go based on history.  :)

regards,  G.

26 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

I remember he was a potential trading chip in a Kesler deal. 

IIRC I remember posters wanting Sutter, Pouliot, and a 1st in exchange for Kesler.

Pouliot is still a young defensemen and he has loads of skill. I could see him being rotated into the lineup similar to how Green would rotate the Utica Dmen to give them rest.

so where are the CDC member that repeatedly used Pitts as the model of not having big tough players.apperantly they feel they need some players that are big and play big. Good for pedan he was never going to get a fair chance in Vancouver regardless of what he did.

the only winner in this trade is Pedan. 

so the d man coming back would have clear waivers? 

Archived