The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck Records Database

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Just now, Green Building said:

@-AJ- This should be pinned in Canucks Talk, at least for awhile. Is there a mod here? ;) 

Also, Andre Boudrias = @Boudrias ?

Haha, we'll see. If enough people would like it, I'd be fine with pinning it. Don't wanna toot my own horn too much though ;)

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Haha, we'll see. If enough people would like it, I'd be fine with pinning it. Don't wanna toot my own horn too much though ;)

definitely pin it, its a good resource.

plus, Cloutier got 7 shutouts in one seaosn? no way would I have got that one right on a trivia question.

• Upvote 2

• -AJ- pinned this topic

Good work.

Some records could be either adjusted or take into account the new point and win/loss system for win percentage, goalie stats. Maybe an asterisk.

Prior to the new system league wide wins equaled losses with ties so .500 meant half way, now .500 means 4 or 5 from the bottom of the league.

Since the new point system how many additional wins and points have come through winning an OT/SO game?

An example, last year, 2016/2017 the Nucks had an additional 11 wins/points in OT/SO adding to the win percentage and point total, the year before 2015/2016, an additional 9 wins/points, take those away and comparing teams and records changes the landscape vastly.

Edited by TheGuardian_

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Good work.

Some records could be either adjusted or take into account the new point and win/loss system for win percentage, goalie stats. Maybe an asterisk.

Prior to the new system league wide wins equaled losses with ties so .500 meant half way, now .500 means 4 or 5 from the bottom of the league.

Since the new point system how many additional wins and points have come through winning an OT/SO game?

An example, last year, 2016/2017 the Nucks had an additional 11 wins/points in OT/SO adding to the win percentage and point total, the year before 2015/2016, an additional 9 wins/points, take those away and comparing teams and records changes the landscape vastly.

That's something that could definitely be looked into. It would just require figuring out the average point percentage and then scaling down the team's point percentage in that year by a factor that brings the average back down to .500. Still, records won't be tracked like that, just like Gretzky's 92 goals or 215 points won't be changed for purposes of record keeping. Over the years, I've found it so difficult to accurately compare different eras that I just take the numbers from each era with a grain of salt and make sure that I understand the context of the game at the time. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That's something that could definitely be looked into. It would just require figuring out the average point percentage and then scaling down the team's point percentage in that year by a factor that brings the average back down to .500. Still, records won't be tracked like that, just like Gretzky's 92 goals or 215 points won't be changed for purposes of record keeping. Over the years, I've found it so difficult to accurately compare different eras that I just take the numbers from each era with a grain of salt and make sure that I understand the context of the game at the time. 

Actually making the adjustment for team comparison stats is not difficult, just time consuming.

Just look to all the OT/SO wins, if the result was a win then subtract the win and the point and count it as a tie. Essentially just subtract the win and point for those and then just do the win percentage, the ties don't count as wins or losses.

ie; 2016/2017 Canucks - The Canucks were credited with 11 wins in OT/SO of their 30 wins. Subtract the additional 11 wins and points and then just divide the wins by 164 (2 points per win, 82 games). While the modern day stats show a wining percentage of .421, slightly worse than .500, the old method used for 80+ years would show a win percentage of .256, the worst in club history. This does not make for good marketing or inspire fan confidence.

The opposite is also true, a good team looks even better and that is why just about ALL coaches now have a winning coaching record and goalies show so many more wins.

Another way to see your algorithm may be to use the total number of points awarded to the teams, 3200 pts in 1300 games, then to multiply all the games played, let's say 1300, by 2 points = 2600 pts. It would/may give a starting point for further ratios of enhancement.

ie;

New system,

Points awarded during the season in 1300 total games played = 3200 (just a number thrown out there).

Traditional, used for 80+ years method,

1300 two point games = 2600 points.

3200 - 2600 = 600 and 3200/2600 = 1.231. 23.1% or a ratio of 1.231 per game.

The NHL has then awarded 600 more points and 23.1% more wins in the new system.

That could mean that the numbers used indicate 23.1% more teams will be .500 or roughly 76.9% of the 31 teams are over .500 = 24 of the 31 teams.

You could take it a step further and calculate numbers of losses into the formula, which could likely make the difference even larger.

Edited by TheGuardian_
  • Cheers 1

Interesting stuff there gaurdian. I wonder about all these extra points being handed out. But automatically making it a tie when a game is decided in OT/shootout doesn't completely make sense to me. In the era of ties teams still had a chance to win in OT. OT lengths also changed over the years. There just wasn't a point handed out to the loser of the game. Which leads me to this point system has been all wrong since the NHL brought in this extra point. How can different games have different points handed out during any regular season games? 

Love the quick record check!

Nice work AJ!

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2017 at 5:27 PM, petmar74 said:

Interesting stuff there gaurdian. I wonder about all these extra points being handed out. But automatically making it a tie when a game is decided in OT/shootout doesn't completely make sense to me. In the era of ties teams still had a chance to win in OT. OT lengths also changed over the years. There just wasn't a point handed out to the loser of the game. Which leads me to this point system has been all wrong since the NHL brought in this extra point. How can different games have different points handed out during any regular season games? 

Love the quick record check!

Nice work AJ!

Overtime hasn't always been around, when i started watching there was no overtime. Sometime in the 80's it started.