The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) Habs Covet Pierre-Luc Dubois

fivethej

Summary, the Habs can lust all they want, but he's not coming home unless they somehow manage to undo the PK Subban trade and give up PK Subban for PLD:

• They already have their franchise Frenchman in Drouin.
  • Just about 1 year ago, a lot of people (in this forum and others) were talking about how Pierre Luc Dubois was a bust for getting cut by the CBJ and for not producing the same numbers for his old team so much so that he got traded and not producing enough in the World Juniors. Never mind the fact that after he got traded, his numbers had immediately spiked. Good lesson in having a bit more patience in prospects. 
  • Here's a good article on his progress: https://www.nhl.com/news/pierre-luc-dubois-confident-at-world-junior-summer-showcase/c-290543004
  • Here's how foundational Columbus thought about him during the draft, and I don't think that has changed.

12 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Summary, the Habs can lust all they want, but he's not coming home unless they somehow manage to undo the PK Subban trade and give up PK Subban for PLD:

• They already have their franchise Frenchman in Drouin.
  • Just about 1 year ago, a lot of people (in this forum and others) were talking about how Pierre Luc Dubois was a bust for getting cut by the CBJ and for not producing the same numbers for his old team so much so that he got traded and not producing enough in the World Juniors. Never mind the fact that after he got traded, his numbers had immediately spiked. Good lesson in having a bit more patience in prospects. 
  • Here's a good article on his progress: https://www.nhl.com/news/pierre-luc-dubois-confident-at-world-junior-summer-showcase/c-290543004
  • Here's how foundational Columbus thought about him during the draft, and I don't think that has changed.

Yip. It probably would of taken Subban to pry him out of Columbus. Just isn't going to happen. And I don't blame them. Kid reminds me of Getzlaf. 

The Habs don't have the assets.  

And after the Drouin deal, the losses of Markov and Radulov (in part because of the Drouin deal) - the ill-advised dealing of Sergachev - not sure they should be looking for another round of Bergevin deals - even if the target is a better one.   The CBJ would be bent to deal Dubois for what the Habs could offer.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

And after the Drouin deal, the losses of Markov and Radulov (in part because of the Drouin deal) - the ill-advised dealing of Sergachev - not sure they should be looking for another round of Bergevin deals - even if the target is a better one.   The CBJ would be bent to deal Dubois for what the Habs could offer.

I see not much the Habs could offer that the Jackets need. Jackets don't need another first either. They would just use it to hopefully find another PLD. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

What happened between Drouin - Radulov?

13 minutes ago, mll said:

They had 8M in cap space to start the season - media was criticising Bergevin for not making use of it.  Plekanec will also be off the books at the end of the season - that's an additional 6M.

nvmd - looks like I was wrong about that.

they appear to have 8 million presently as well - but they have Weber and his 7.86 out - I suppose the cap relief is not showing though

1 hour ago, mll said:

What happened between Drouin - Radulov?

Radulov turning 30 and hitting the market where he was looking for max term and dollars he could get. I guess Montreal didn’t want to lock Radulov up on his asking price. He did settle for 5 years at 6.25 mill a year. In all fairness to the Canadiens he was chasing 7 years and 7+ million but eventually settled with Dallas for probably a price Montreal would have paid.

Archived