The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumor] Canucks on the twins future and Gudbranson

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

I just checked. We own his rights until July 1, 2022.

His contract in the KHL is up in 2021. 

In order to buyout, the remaining 2/3rds of the contract need to be paid - however long that is. So the closer to the end of the contract, the less $ that will be. 
I know he said that in the summer but things can change in a hurry... just ask Colorado....

What are the out clauses?
Что из этого следует?

Dont know if there are out clauses. If no out clause, a player can buyout his contract when pays 2/3 of the rest of contract to his team.

Pretty much what I just said.  Lol. There’s always a possibility. But it would cost him personally to buy out his contract. And as of this Summer he said that wasn’t an avenue he’d be willing to pursue.  I’d think if it were to happen it would be after next season when the buyout is for only 1 contract year. 

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Anything over 4 would be a brutal mistake 

Prepared to be disappointed then.  If he isn't a Canuck, he'll be making over 4 anywhere.  And if the Canucks move him, then their shallow d-depth just got a whole lot shallower.  I'm thinking the starting point is at least Karl Alzner money.

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Pretty much what I just said.  Lol. There’s always a possibility. But it would cost him personally to buy out his contract. And as of this Summer he said that wasn’t an avenue he’d be willing to pursue.  I’d think if it were to happen it would be after next season when the buyout is for only 1 contract year. 

There is also some hinky stuff with the KHL that could come into play.

They intend on contracting several teams and dramatically lowering the salary cap.  Larionov said that Tryamkin was given a bigger contract there than he was offered here... so that would be something that would likely be terminated if they had to shave salary.

13 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah..you know JB is a good drafter.  Decent trader.  He can't sign worth $&!# though.

its improving. Baer, Granny, Vanek, del Z, Wiercoich, Nilsson are all solid deals. Even Gagner is bearable. Bo's is a great deal for us. 

Hmm, we're waiting until just now to drop the news we're trying to re-sign Gudbranson, and we're still waiting on the Sedins...  Great, just f'ing great.  This seems like something that should be done in house, and awhile ago, but I guess that's hard when you haven't even signed your GM beyond this season and can't figure out what to do there either.  At least it seems like the $&!# show goes from top down....

Sign the sedins now to a 1 year extension, 3.5 for each with a million dollar bonus in there for hitting over 50 pts.

Sign Gudbranson to a 2 year contract worth 3.5 and 3.75 with bonus attached for getting above 20 pts.

That way Guddy can bring all of his intangibles, and if he hits 2nd pairing point totals, he can make his 4.5 to 4.75

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Prepared to be disappointed then.  If he isn't a Canuck, he'll be making over 4 anywhere.  And if the Canucks move him, then their shallow d-depth just got a whole lot shallower.  I'm thinking the starting point is at least Karl Alzner money.

He should be moved then he isn’t worth what he’ll command 

7 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

If they resign Guddy and Vanek and end up doing nothing at the Trade Deadline good luck getting an extension Jim.

Fans are really looking forward to the deadline and expect moves to advance the Rebuild.

They only have 6 picks heading into the 2018 draft.

This exactly! So we’re going into a bottom 3 finish and we’re talking about extending our two biggest trade pieces.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Pretty scared to think what JB might be willing to pay EG

Guddy is a big heavy hitter, and fighter, who can play.  These guys a rare.  We should resign him.  I say it’s a five year term for 22.5 million.  We are a powderpuff team.  We need what Guddy can bring.  It’s his best skill.  

Publicly it would be wise to state that you are trying to resign him because if not other teams know that you will be willing to move him for a minimal return just to get something back. So in terms of his trade value, I think stating that is just a good PR move.

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for the right price. Pretty much everyone in our top 6 with the exception of Stetcher and Pouliot are candidates to be moved, either now or at the draft. Holm should get a look at the NHL level so it's more a matter of who moves at the deadline. I'm in favor of moving whoever nets us another 1st (without taking back long term salary) so that would probably be Tanev. 

6 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Publicly it would be wise to state that you are trying to resign him because if not other teams know that you will be willing to move him for a minimal return just to get something back. So in terms of his trade value, I think stating that is just a good PR move.

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for the right price. Pretty much everyone in our top 6 with the exception of Stetcher and Pouliot are candidates to be moved, either now or at the draft. Holm should get a look at the NHL level so it's more a matter of who moves at the deadline. I'm in favor of moving whoever nets us another 1st (without taking back long term salary) so that would probably be Tanev. 

Nice post.  Well thought out.

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

TO be honest he has be so injured I dont think Guddy has much leverage to ask for some sort of absurd contract. The 1 dimensional shutdown physical D are still relevant in the NHL but they arent going to cash in like Bogosian did imo. Guddy @ 4yr 16m is more than fair. He can be on the 2nd pair until a different RHD drops him out of that role. And with our depth I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Just need Big E to stay healthy for us!

Exactly. He just hasn't played enough hockey the last 2 years to have the kind of leverage he would like going into free agency. 4 x 4 would probably be something to seriously consider.

To be honest, 4 x 4 would be a little unheard of for someone in Gudbranson's position. He MIGHT be able to get a bit more in free agency but Benning and company would also be taking on a fair bit of risk signing him to a 4 year deal.

I'm ok either way. I would like his toughness in our lineup if the contract made sense. I would also like to trade him if he brought back a big time future asset. Benning needs to make one of these things happen. 

Archived