The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Oh I’m prepared to fall the max amount of spots again and see us getting one of those dmen which would be a fantastic pick at 4th or 5th. Benning is old school and I can see him draft for position over BPA as I kinda feel like he did with Juolevi. Leading up to that draft all we heard was how much Benning said our d prospect pool is weak and we’d really like to add in that area. I wouldn’t be surprised if Boqvist is #2 on Bennings board. I can see Svechnikov being a winger version of Evgeni Malkin. He’s the 2nd best prospect in this draft and as much as I like Boqvist and Bouchard and that I realize our d pool is weak I don’t hesitate for a second picking Scechnikov over them.

if he's drafting for position rather than BPA than last year he would have taken another Dmen over Pettersen god knows how weak our D prospect is. always take the BPA unless the difference between the BPA and the positional player is minimal

9 minutes ago, gameburn said:

That sounds about right, actually.  If Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette and maybe even Lind make the team... and we add in the players who are injured right now, but will be in the lineup next Fall (Boeser, most notably, but also one of Gaunce or Baertschi) and you have a half dozen faces we didn't see tonight.   Jokinen won't be here, obviously.  One of Gagner or Eriksson might be moved, the Sedins may not return... Archibald may or may not make the team.  Dowd looks redundant. Yes, big changes next year, even if the Sedins are re-signed for one last year.

My guess/hope would be that Gagner might be gone, Jokinen is just a space-filler/contract to enable the Motte return, the Sedins are looking less and less likely to command two spots, Boucher isn't looking like an NHLer,  and Dowd has been ok, but he'll be in tough to take a spot from a guy like Archibald.  Also wouldn't be surprised if Baertschi were dealt, but for now I'd hope/like to see something like:

Leipsic Horvat Boeser

Pettersson Granlund Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Motte

Baertschi Gaudette Eriksson

Archibald

If Gaudette isn't ready, perhaps Gagner holds a place for another year - or Gaunce can move to center and Archie into this spot...

59 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I like Zadina, but I have a funny feeilng he could be a be Piere-Luc Dubois 2.0.

Not sure if you mean this as a negative thing, but Dubois does have 37 points so far this year with Columbus as a 19 year old and is third in team scoring.

57 minutes ago, 1-d said:

I miss when our team wasn't a butt of jokes which seems like another lifetime ago.

We joked at the expense of other bottom feeder teams when we were doing well. Don't dish them if you can't take them back.

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if he's drafting for position rather than BPA than last year he would have taken another Dmen over Pettersen god knows how weak our D prospect is. always take the BPA unless the difference between the BPA and the positional player is minimal

Last year he said predraft we needed both a number one centre and a number one pp qb dman. In the YouTube draft video he doesn’t want to entertain the idea of moving down until the draft played out like they thought and both dmen were gone. He then got spooked with NYR trading up and took Pettersson at 5th. That draft lottery and draft worked out perfectly for Vancouver because Benning practically said Pettersson was his number 5!

In watching the past 10 games it seems to me that Danny still has some game and is able to pot a few when properly set up, but the game seems to have passed by Hank.  His trademark used to be the precise passing including the saucer pass but those seem to be few and far between, and giveaways are more the norm.  He also seems lost on the ice and unsure of where he needs to be, resulting in turnovers and frantic skating back to try (unsuccessfully) to catch the forward skating toward the Canucks net.  The reduced ice time seems to support my observation, that he is now a liability on the ice.

It's too bad because he & Danny carried this team for many productive years and their legacy is likely a HOF nomination.  However, just like the rest of us, there comes a time when we have to quietly fade into retirement and watch the youngsters make their mark.

11 minutes ago, singing chef said:

In watching the past 10 games it seems to me that Danny still has some game and is able to pot a few when properly set up, but the game seems to have passed by Hank.  His trademark used to be the precise passing including the saucer pass but those seem to be few and far between, and giveaways are more the norm.  He also seems lost on the ice and unsure of where he needs to be, resulting in turnovers and frantic skating back to try (unsuccessfully) to catch the forward skating toward the Canucks net.  The reduced ice time seems to support my observation, that he is now a liability on the ice.

It's too bad because he & Danny carried this team for many productive years and their legacy is likely a HOF nomination.  However, just like the rest of us, there comes a time when we have to quietly fade into retirement and watch the youngsters make their mark.

In the end, time gets to us all. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

My guess/hope would be that Gagner might be gone, Jokinen is just a space-filler/contract to enable the Motte return, the Sedins are looking less and less likely to command two spots, Boucher isn't looking like an NHLer,  and Dowd has been ok, but he'll be in tough to take a spot from a guy like Archibald.  Also wouldn't be surprised if Baertschi were dealt, but for now I'd hope/like to see something like:

Leipsic Horvat Boeser

Pettersson Granlund Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Motte

Baertschi Gaudette Eriksson

Archibald

If Gaudette isn't ready, perhaps Gagner holds a place for another year - or Gaunce can move to center and Archie into this spot...

TG stated that he sees Granlund as a bottom six guy in one of the interviews. I don't think that's about to change. 

I agree that Baer can be dealt. If possible i think the return should be a second line center that is similarly aged as Baer. Alternatively we get Gagnrt for one more season as a second line center. 

I also have this feeling that Dahlen is NHL ready. He might make the team and take either 1LW beside Horvat or 2LW.

1 hour ago, singing chef said:

I also have noticed the same thing. After all, Danny is still a 20 goal scorer.

I didn't think it was possible before but i think Daniel and Henrik may retire at different times. Daniel may play longer.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Best Player Available! By the time Bouchard or Boqvist make it our defence could be completely different and not a need. That high in the first round you have to take who you think is the best player.

No problem?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank5

4 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I like Zadina, but I have a funny feeilng he could be a be Piere-Luc Dubois 2.0.

You do realize Dubois is tied with Horvat in points, right? Not to mention the guy has almost 100 hits. Plays in every situation of the game. That is going to be a very important player for Columbus going forward. 

I think they should send Goldy , Boucher and Leipsic back to Utica. Bring back a Megna or who ever.  You have to wonder how far we could drop. We might hit the bottom. That would guaranty us 4th. 

NOW IS THE TIME TO TANK. 

There is nothing else to play for.

Archived