The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake's Contract..Looks Like What???

Nuxfanabroad

Like many others, I see a 2 year deal in his future. 1.5-2mil mil might be a tad high for some, but considering what he brings I'd say it's pretty fair. Personally, I think next year he should start to get more chances to prove what he can do offensively. IE give him regular PP time, OT shifts. Stuff like that. We have a 6 foot, 200 pound freight train that skates arguably better than anyone else on the roster. He has a good shot. Something tells me he'd get used as a net front presence though, which I think is a waste of his shot. At the very least he can't be a worse option than some of the players we have on that second unit.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Please esplain?  :o

No sources..I've read a few posters speculate as much, but who knows whether that holds any water?

When lightning strikes with a great pick, prob scads of people would like credit. Similarly the exact opposite(dud selection) must often apply, where no one wants 100% attribution.

3 years, 5M total. He will be 24 at the end of that.

There was an earlier post with two worst case scenarios (either Neely or Sandlak). The one I fear the most is Neely. I don't think Virt will ever be a 30 goal threat. But I do feel that he can become a steady 20-25 goal threat, with good-very good two way play and add a very physical aspect to the team. His speed is almost up there with McDavid, and that is with carrying close to 210 lbs. A physical mature Virt will probably end up around 215, and training will keep the speed there through his twenties. Anyone care to guess how many Dmen will cringe to see Virt coming in at full speed, at that weight?

The problem with Neely comparison, Cam never scored less than 9 goals in any season in his entire career. Jake hasn't scored more than 9 in his 3 years. Jake will not be Cam. Pay Jake the minimum for the shortest period of time and make him earn it. Trade him once you realize he isn't going to work for the spot you want to play him. 

His skills are awesome, but if that doesn't translate to top 6 spot you need to only pay him for bottom 6 spot, other wise he has to move one. 

31 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

The problem with Neely comparison, Cam never scored less than 9 goals in any season in his entire career. Jake hasn't scored more than 9 in his 3 years. Jake will not be Cam. Pay Jake the minimum for the shortest period of time and make him earn it. Trade him once you realize he isn't going to work for the spot you want to play him. 

His skills are awesome, but if that doesn't translate to top 6 spot you need to only pay him for bottom 6 spot, other wise he has to move one. 

Neely's hands were a bit banged up (he wouldn't be afraid to 'drop them' and had a ton of fights) so I suspect his goal totals were adversely affected early in his career (Canuck days).  Legit light heavyweight fighter - combine that with legit hockey skills gives you one incredible combination  (think a lighter Lucic in his prime).

2 years 2.5 M in total (1.25 M per year).

This is the case where team and the player need each other. The team can certainly use a player that brings speed and size. The player still needs to learn the NHL and team has a roster spot open for him.

Worst case, Virtanen will be a third line player. Best case, he will be a complimentary first line player scoring 30 goals like Burrows did with Sedins. I don't see Cam Neely from him quite yet. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

Jake will sign a new contract for 2 yrs at 1.2 million per season..He is making 900,000 now so he will make more then his entry level deal = 1.2 million x 2 yrs..

He will become a very good forward for us with his speed, size and driving to next causing big rebounds..

I really think Jake can be a 18 - 23  goal guy and up to 50 points in a few years..

GO Jake Go

3 hours ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

The comparisons are analogies, not direct. Cam did NOT show very much, if any, of that talent when he was with the Canucks. I don't think even the most ardent "homer" in CDC would expect Virt to EVER score 50, or even 40. Cam scored in the teens here, then exploded in Boston. The fear is that Virt will go somewhere else, become a steady 25 goal scorer and a feared two-way player.

Also, bottom six spots, for somewhat established vets, are going for 1.25 to 1.75M per...which seems to be about what the great majority of us are estimating Virt's next contract to be per annum.

Archived