The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Re-Signing RFAs and UFAs

JamesB

RFA Cap Hits and Re-signing UFAs   

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

ffs.......it's Stecher. He's been here two years now. It's not that hard to spell !

Haha cheers for the good laugh! I think in this post this was like my 2nd or 3rd time ever writing his name in the years he has been here and I'll admit I always just thought there was a T in there obviously not the case lol but good to know for future thanks!

Btw Gagne is a good one too sometimes :towel:

2 non Canuck players that would be reasonable to consider, if they do not attract big bucks & I don't think they will;

Michael Rafl?  :wub:   Everything you want in a hockey player! Except the magic that true top line guys have in their skill set.  Works his bag off, plays everywhere from PK & the 4th line, to digging  the puck out for your stars!

Valteri Filpula?  Great multi purpose centre, can play D match ups, or score.  He can still skate!

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

I'll spell Stecher's name how ever I like, you mong.

Might I suggest, out of respect for those with trisomy 21, that we instead use the term "Botch" in cases like this?  It might be a bit harsh, since nobody really deserves the comparison to that kind of pond scum, but it's much more unfair to use an outdated derogatory term for people with Down's syndrome and who are generally delightful.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:32 PM, Rush17 said:

Dowd probably gets a 2 way contract or PTO.  He will be a big factor for competition in camp for C.  Wouldn't be at all surprised if he signs a 1 or 2 way deal then is picked up off waivers.

He's an excellent depth player and will get a 1 way deal at about $750 K. I f 2 players are close at camp the tie goes to the veteran. The deserving prospect gets called up as injuries happen to avoid the crap show from the press.

12 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

Well Jokinen picked up 10 pts. in 14 games with us so I wouldn't mind seeing him get another year.  Also, he could help us out with his specialty in the shoot out.

I remember there was an earlier thread where many people thought Jokinen shouldn't have even gotten a game for the Canucks and certainly not re-signing him. I'm curious if the mindset has changed on him. If Jokinen is willing to take on a low cost contract (and I don't see why he wouldn't after being on 4 teams this past season), I would consider it. It would be a 35+ contract, but with the cap space we have, we could send him down if a prospect takes his spot and it wouldn't be a problem.

On 12/04/2018 at 1:38 PM, theo5789 said:

My prediction if they all re-sign:

Baertschi: 3.5

Granlund: 1.75

Pouliot: 1.25

Stetcher: 2.25

Virtanen: 2.5 on a bridge, 3.25 for slightly longer term

This is pretty much as I see it too. I think we will see a few 1 year deals for these guys to prove themselves as they all have potential to do so.

Good guesses, imo.  I do think Stecher might be a bit high. Hard to get paid on potential.

Here is something the Canucks should consider, signing Kovalchuk with the intention of both parties, to trade him at the TDL. The Canucks would/could sign him to a one or two year deal with the idea of retaining 1/2 his contract.

This would give him a better shot at proving he can still contribute in the NHL and then select which teams will be in the playoffs, the salary retention would increase the ease of trading and enhance the return as any team trading for him will be in the "win now" situation.

If he is good enough maybe a late 1rst round pick as a return. 

On 4/12/2018 at 12:28 PM, JamesB said:

Time to start thinking about RFAs. The five RFAs who are coming up (in alphabetical order) are Baertschi, Granlund, Pouliot, Stecher, and Virtanen. Benning has said he plans to qualify and sign all of them. And the Canucks have quite a bit of cap room. The question is how much will it cost. Here are this year's cap hits (in millions):

Baertschi: 1.85

Granlund: 0.90

Pouliot: 0.80

Stecher: 0.92

Virtanen: 0.89

Total: 5.36

IMO, none of the above players did much to warrant a significant pay increase.

Baertschi still hasn't proven that he's a legit second liner, though he's been given all the opportunity to play a top six role.  Still a 3rd-2nd line tweener and most teams he wouldn't be cracking the top six.  So, if I'm JB, I'd offer him 2 years at $2.2M AAV.

Granlund had one sort of break out year in 2016-2017, but with injuries and limited offensive output while he was in the line up (albeit he found an everyday spot as a checking third/fourth liner), I think he's still at $900k.  Maybe he gets one year at $1.2M.

Pouliot is still a project.  After the good start, he sort of fell back to earth and showed he still has a lot to do to be an everyday 5-6 guy.  If I'm JB, I'd offer him 2 years at $1.2M.

I see Stecher following the AAV trend set by Tanev.  So, one year deal at $1.6M or two years at $1.5M followed by $2.25M AAV, then something north of $3.5M two contracts from now.

Virtanen did squat for the first 50-60 games (though I'm sure he worked hard and stayed on the "program" behind the scenes), finally starting to show why he was a high draft pick over the final 15 games of the season when there was really no pressure on any of the Canucks to perform.  He hasn't produced Zack Kassian type numbers in his final year of his ELC, but I see Virtanen getting a 2 year at $1.75M (same that Kassian got).

Total Cap Hit: Almost $8 million.

As far as UFAs go, I'd like to see all three of Archibald, Dowd and Jokinen return -- Archibald for 2 @ $750k; Dowd for 1 @ $700k; Jokinen @ $1.25M.

Archibald brings a unique set of tools to the lineup; Dowd, IMO, is a solid depth centreman (and you can't have enough of these guys in the organization); and Jokinen, with or without the Sedins, actually looked like he had something left in the tank, and it's never a bad thing to have a veteran as your 13th forward.

Pouliot: He played regularly but, in my view, did not live up to expectations. On a good team he probably would have been 7th man. He has potential but is inconsistent, He did get 22 points, but his plus/minus of -22 despite relatively easy minutes is scary. And he does not contribute to the physical game. I could see Juolevi taking his spot next year. (or Dahlin ::D). Still, he was a regular this year and, with normal progression, probably goes to 1.5 million.

Hutton got 2 years at 2.8m per after his 25 pt -21 season a year and a half ago. You may be shooting a little low.

Here’s where I think they will end up when it’s all said and done

Baertschi: 2.9m x 1 last chance deal

Granlund: 1.9m x 1 last chance deal

Pouliot: 1.3m x 2 worth the 2 year investment 

Stecher: 3.75m x 4 maybe more to get him long term was the teams best dman on many nights.

Virtanen: 2m x 3 Jakes a Canuck for life the kid loves this city and team and I would expect him to breakout next year, looks like he’s putting it all together. 

• 2 weeks later...

To be determined.

Talks will start mid to late June.

Jossi will not return. The team is indeed getting younger.

Palmu is an overager who the canucks drafted last June. He spent the season alongside Juolevi and Salo in Finland. Palmu is close friends with Canucks 2nd rounder Jonah Gadjovich his former teammate, roommate and best friend.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, Rush17 said:

To be determined.

Talks will start mid to late June.

Jossi will not return. The team is indeed getting younger.

Palmu is an overager who the canucks drafted last June. He spent the season alongside Juolevi and Salo in Finland. Palmu is close friends with Canucks 2nd rounder Jonah Gadjovich his former teammate, roommate and best friend.

So talks with Granlund should be starting soon....

• 2 weeks later...

Time to start thinking about RFAs. The five RFAs who are coming up (in alphabetical order) are Baertschi, Granlund, Pouliot, Stecher, and Virtanen. Benning has said he plans to qualify and sign all of them. And the Canucks have quite a bit of cap room. The question is how much will it cost. Here are this year's cap hits (in millions):

Baertschi: 1.85

Granlund: 0.90

Pouliot: 0.80

Stecher: 0.92

Virtanen: 0.89

Total: 5.36

None of these guys are in a great bargaining position and they all still have a lot to prove. Here is my read, but I admit there is a lot of uncertainty.

Baertschi; For the past two years he has performed at a legitimate 2nd line level (barely) in terms of scoring, and he has speed. And he actually played on the Canuck first line this year (which indicates the lack of front-line players on the team). He has become defensively responsible but still won't be playing shutdown or PK any time soon. He does not contribute to the physical game. And he has had injury problems that make his situation far from solid. Still, in terms of performance, he is the best guy in the group and I think he deserves a small raise. I see his cap hit going to probably about 2.5 million.

Granlund: Had a disappointing season (12 pts in 53 games, not even a legitimate 4th line level or shutdown level). Then he had a season-ending injury. His stock has fallen a lot. Still, based on the previous season and on hoped-for potential, he deserves a raise. I see him going to 1.5 million 

Pouliot: He played regularly but, in my view, did not live up to expectations. On a good team he probably would have been 7th man. He has potential but is inconsistent, He did get 22 points, but his plus/minus of -22 despite relatively easy minutes is scary. And he does not contribute to the physical game. I could see Juolevi taking his spot next year. (or Dahlin ::D). Still, he was a regular this year and, with normal progression, probably goes to 1.5 million.

Stecher: He had no history with Green and had to prove himself all over again this year. But his minutes went up over the season and, by the end, he was doing a good job playing on the first pairing with Edler. He deserves a significant raise. I could see him going to 2.5 million, maybe more.

Virtanen: CDC has been doing cartwheels over Virtanen because he made quite a lot of progress this year, as if that justifies his original selection at #6 overall. But he still needs to continue his progression. He had 20 points (including 10 goals) in 75 games this year. That is a good 4th line level and kind of marginal 3rd line level (or at least close). His defence improved a lot and, of course, he contributes to the speed game and the physical game. Also he was a lot better at the end of the season than at the beginning and was a consistent high energy presence over the last two months of the season. And his attitude seems to have improved a lot. That all helps him. I see him going to 2 million, maybe a bit more.

Benning, quite reasonably, does not like 1 year deals for RFAs but, these guys all still have a lot of questions marks. So I would expect 2 year deals for all ot them, although I could see 3-year deals for Virtanen and Stecher.

I project Stecher (or maybe Baertschi) to be the highest paid and I project a total of maybe a little over 10 million.

As for UFAs, I think the Canucks will re-sign Archie (they should) and that is all.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:00 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So talks with Granlund should be starting soon....

In light of today's Granlund signing I thought I would boost this thread, just in case people are interesting in reviewing the predictions for the RFA signings. A few people (including me) had Granlund at about 1.5 although most people were a bit higher.

Archived