The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, naslundfan921 said:

Excited to have two blue-chip smart D Men in the system now. Heard Hughes say he could play either side so maybe one they form an elite top pairing for us. Camp will be interesting with these two pushing for spots as well. I am more conservative in my expectations though so I don't expect all of our kids to come up at once. I think gifting them spots is bad for their long-term development. Of our pool, I will predict only Gaudette and EP will crack the opening day roster with OJ initially being sent down but quickly returning when the inevitable injury hits and becoming a regular

JB needs to sign Hughes asap and then sign a couple of knuckle draggers   one on defense, besides Gudbranson more than ever, we do need protection for these kids . 

Edited by vannuck59

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

My "Hot take" on watching Hughes is let's not over coach him. Please. 

I want to watch him drive the play and use his creativity. Hughes is a far better prospect than J Subban was none the less I feel the confidence was coached out of him a bit and he could have been developed as an effective rover. Except the focus was always on getting stronger and being better defensively, "playing within the system".

Rover is a tough job and give many coaches angina however this kid Hughes could be one of the best rover's in the game.  With Elias and Brock we could see the most exciting trio this city has ever seen. 

To management let this kid play his game and dangle the forechecker rush the puck gain the blueline and dish to Bos Pete. Build "the system" around that. It has been so long since I have seen a Canuck player carry the puck across the opposing blue line. its always dump ins and drop passes and its so telegraphed teams have no trouble defending. #releasetheHughes. 

I was thinking how nice it would be to see him play the Scott Niedermayer rover role on the PP.  With EP out there you could create a triangle plus two system, with two rovers-would be entertaining but would take a lot of communication and practice.

I think the USNTDP program really deserves a lot of credit.  It is a great system, it lets the kids develop skill before structure which is something the Canadian junior system does terribly.  I am not a fan of major juniors as a systemic approach.  I feel any system that takes kids this young and ruins there college eligibility without significant compensation is just wrong.  I also don't like a system that rips kids out of their homes because they want to play hockey and a system that over stresses systems and games for profit over skill development. 

Sorry, just my hot-take for a Saturday morning, and now the random garbage from my head:

Those Michigan hockey helmets are sick.  Would love to see something like that on the Canucks.

I love where this kid comes from, dad was a pro player, pro coach and in charge of prospect development at the NHL level (I won't mention the team they are unmentionable).  What more could you ask for as a developing young hockey player.  With everything his dad knew he sent this kid to USNTDP.  With this as his background I really do think this kid could play next year.  The "coaches kid" phenomenon is much more of a thing in basketball (Bobby Hurley) but man it looks good on these Hughes kids, hopefully we add at least one more next year.

One of OJs best strength is a puck mover.  These two kids coming into our D completely changes the way it plays.

With his skill set his size is not that important, he usually has the puck moving the other way before it turns into a physical battle, I also think it makes a lot less difference which side he plays as he gets to the puck first and doesn't need the stick on the board side to dig as much as someone who doesn't have the agile skating ability or ability to read the play (like say Gudbranson).  I could see him playing right D for us next year, may even enhance his offence.

Stop comparing to Jordan Subban.  5'10" and 5'7" are a lot different.  There are a lot of really good 5'10" D out there and Hughes is already a world better defensively than Subban.  The problem with Jordan is he never got better defensively and if anything seemed to get worse, it just seemed that he never figured out how to read the play on defense and was always out of position.

This team will be flying soon.  Jake, Bo, Petterson, Hughes, Hughes, Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Boesser (he may look slow with this group), Lockwood if he makes it, Palmu, Jasek.  I hope Gadjovich is taking a lot of power skating lessons because his size is going to be important.  Some real burners left at C and D in the second round as well.

Love this pick.  I hoped after hope that Scott Niedermayer would come home and play for us but never did.  Now we have our own version and what a nice kid and family.  Come on lottery luck next year!

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So... one of Quinn’s best friends is Ryan Merkley and two of his former roommates were Matthew and Brady Tkachuk. :unsure:

Not the least bit worried. Just thought it was funny that his circle of friends sounds like a rogues gallery of character issues and douchebaggery. :lol:

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nooks said:

Benning was way more excited about this pick than either Boeser or Pettersson and we all know how they turned out.

Benning was a defence man when he played. This might explain that?

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This was before the draft, kid is very well spoken.

He and his family were likely surprised, figuring he'd to to Detroit or maybe Arizona.  He hasn't been to Vancouver yet, but Detroit is like a demilitarized zone.  It won't be long until he's going to be elated to be coming here.  The pic of Jack in a Canucks hat is going to be virally epic over the next 12 months.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've looked into Hughes' production and compared it to other defensemen recently drafted in out of the NCAA and here's how Hughes stacks up: 

Hughes: 5 goals, 24 assists for 29 points in 37 games (0.78 PPG) - 3rd in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

Werenski: 9 goals, 16 assists for 25 points in 35 games (0.71 PPG) - 7th in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

McAvoy: 3 goals, 22 assists for 25 points in 37 games (0.68 PPG) - 6th in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

Hanifin: 5 goals. 18 assists for 23 points in 37 games (0.62) - 7th in team scoring (3rd among defensemen)

It's worth noting that all of those defensemen were regarded as better defenders (espeically Hanifin), but Hughes still outproduced them all. It's especially impressive when you consider that Hughes was 3rd on his entire team in scoring, as a defenseman and the youngest player in the NCAA. Werenski and McAvoy established themselves as top pairing defenders in their draft +2 years. That's some very good company for Hughes to be in. 

Side note: Hughes had the exact same PPG as B. Tkachuk, who plays forward and went 4th overall. Let that sink in for a second. 

Quinn said in one of his interviews that after his adjustment period to the NCAA he was a PPG player in the new year.  When's the last time that was seen?  Not to mention he was the youngest player in all of college hockey, playing one of the harder positions.

Can this kid play here next year?  If not out of camp (and he doesn't go back to college), he'll be on the team at some point.  We now have the LHS of our top-4 set for the next decade, with two slick puck-moving dmen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup we need to send Chayka a gift, maybe a new calculator. 

For whatever reason there's an Arizona Coyotes German Fan Group, from the looks of the comments and reactions the reaction of the Yotes pick was quite mixed from that group.