The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schedule makers colluding with the Canucks

Doogie

2 hours ago, Doogie said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/about-that-canucks-2018-19-schedule-who-did-they-tick-off/amp

Every year the Canucks have to deal with a tough schedule but this coming year seems to be a lot tougher, with 17 of their  first 26 games on the road. Do you think because of the draft taking place in Vancouver this year, our draft luck, and Hughes projected to go first overall played a part in our scheduling. 

They wanted us to fall in a hole early to make sure we’re sellers at the deadline. Only to draft Jack Hughes 1rst overall.

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Not only that, more home games down the stretch for us to go on another winning streak at the end of the year to solidify that 5th OA pick.

yeah, who'd want another elias pettersson or quinn hughes?

high draft picks should always be the consolation prize and never the goal.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Saw a tired/rested chart somewhere.  Canucks play 11 times a rested team in a back-to-back - 2 teams are at 12.  The Canucks only have 3 games where they play a team doing a back-to-back while rested.  Edmonton at the other extreme plays 18 times a tired team after being rested and 8 times a rested team while tired.  

Wow is that ever some bullsh*t. 

40 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Aside from the concerts listed, it's possible that Rogers Arena has private events that aren't disclosed or they have set maintenance days. Also need to consider other team's home rink as well based on the events there to see which is more viable

Sure but consistently us getting horrible schedules on top of being one of the most traveled team in the league, we should have at least an equal schedule made up than Edmonton ffs. 

36 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Here's the link to our playing rested/tired compared to the rest of the league.  

https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/10/the-oilers-have-the-easiest-schedule-in-the-league-next-year/

So if Edmonton $&!#s the bed yet again what will the excuse be? I mean, they are alreafy gloating about the easiest schedule lol.

I feel that the Canucks should do the training camp in Utica with preseason home games at Utica at some point in the future and request the league to start the season with 7-8 games on the road with games starting in Washington and work their way to home with stops at Philadelphia, NJ, NYR, NYI, Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa.   This is not a tough travel as all of the players would be getting used to eastern time zone for a month and half.   Next trip: start in Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Detroit.   Finally, the road trip starts in Nashville, Carolina, Florida, Tampa, and Dallas.  All of the trip is in order, not zig zag.   If you notice all of those destination routes, it's not out of the way trips.   I have calculated a few years ago that the Canucks could reach at 39,000 miles, even without Seattle being a factor.   This only works if the Canucks is hosting the training camp in Utica.   A couple of seasons ago, they went 43,500 miles and that was their lowest point of travelling in their history.   This is very important because the cities I laid above is not on the plane for more than an hour at the most except for southeast part of the USA.   Best part of the plan I laid out here is that Canucks would be having more practice days early in the season than an extra day without a practice because they are travelling, costintg them a few days of practice.   

The bottom line is, our schedule is never going to be easy...due to geographical reason and not because of a conspiracy theory from the NHL against the Canucks.  Teams have input on their schedule, and I remember a few years back the Canucks were askingfor longer road trips to limit travel time and cost and have longer home-stand.

13 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Not only that, more home games down the stretch for us to go on another winning streak at the end of the year to solidify that 5th OA pick.

I think the new standard is 7th now. 

The early season 6 game road trip may end up helping this team bond well as a group. They can work out the kinks away from the boos and negativity of home ice and come home stronger.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

botchford makes an excellent point about playing rested teams.  VAN gets the royal shaft in this dept. whereas EDM is served up a silver platter.  I hate you NHL

remember the good old days when (2011-12) Van feasted on teams play their 3rd in four nights.

I went to a couple of those games and they were really boring as good teams can still compete but they play rope-a-dope.

I have felt for a long time that the NHL uses the schedule to create parity.

7 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Players who are determined to play 82 is not what we need it’s about staying healthy it’s better to concede a game than to burn out our guys giving our stars a game off should not be as big a deal they need it more than the lesser travel teams.

Or sitting a game or two or resting players on the second game of BTB's

Archived