The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Alex Edler

It's a win either way for us, If he stays he'll likely mentor Juolevi who will almost undoubtedly come up at some point this year and if he goes via trade whatever we get in return is gravy. If he does leave, hopefully, he wins a cup and returns to us in the offseason. Our D core is pretty weak at the moment and outside of OJ and Hughes, It looks like we will need reliable stop gap vets until more youngsters are ready. 

Of course there'd be interest in him AND Tanev. No news there.

The vultures are circling. Teams see an opportunity to get one of these guys for pennies on the dollar.

Of course, Edler has a NTC and Tanev a Modified NTC so they still have control. At the end of the day, you'd think that minute-chewing dmen would have decent value but who knows.

If we're out of the playoff's buy TDL, which we will be, the best thing to happen is trade Edler for the best pick or pick's we can get with the understanding he'll be re-signed next year. Next years draft is in Vancouver and what better time to have extra picks. 

I think it's a bit of a pipe dream to those that think we could trade him and then re-sign him. Under those circumstances, we also would be getting a much smaller return which people won't be happy with. With that said, Edler has stated that as long as the team wants him, he wants to stay. If the team asks him to waive his NTC, he may accept the fact that the team no longer wants him and will likely not re-sign.

I believe that it's going to be trade for whatever we can get or keep him as a vet to help our prospects transition (as we may look to FA to do so if he's traded). He can log a ton of minutes and hopefully he can transition to lower minutes as the young players progress. I am completely on board with keeping him (5x3 or 3x5 with a NTC) unless there's an offer that we cannot refuse.

16 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Play. Trade. Re-Sign.

Rinse. Repeat. 

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Trade him to Edmonton for their first. Win the first overall then sign Edler in the offseason. /simple.

Good way to stop any veteran player ever signing in Vancouver (.....and, yes, I realise that the second post was tongue in cheek/ mild humour ! )

I feel like if Eddy was willing to be traded he would’ve done it already. I hope I am dead wrong but nothing has shown us that he is willing to waive his NTC. While we all can make sense of a trade and resign deal for the teams benefit, but I feel like Edler won’t budge. He has grown a family here and Mike Gillis handed him that option and he is exercising it. I would love a late first or a 2nd and a decent prospect but something is compelling him to stay put, even if it was for a few months of a change of scenery. 

FEC2D223-E450-4B4B-8269-132DA6F4D3CA.png

Best case scenario is we trade him for a 1st round pick and re-sign him back in the off season. 

He has a NTC though and if he decides he doesn't want to go elsewhere, that's his right. 

Either way, I'm glad his game recovered after some down years with Tortorella and Desjardins. 

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

While his 24 minutes a night looks good, I think he should be playing more around 18-20 minutes a night and on most teams with a better defensive core, that's likely where he would be at. With that said, it looks like Warhippy is willing to give term (up to 5 years) over dollars. Edler could maybe sign a 5 million dollar per year deal, but maybe for only 2-3 years (and could be out of the league by then or make peanuts to stretch out his career at that point), so a 5 year deal at 3 million per nets him about the same amount. I love Edler, but he's likely to decline in a couple of years, so he gets some guaranteed money locked up and his minutes will be lowered the older he gets and when the younger guys take over, which would put him around the reasonable 3 million mark. But who knows, there could be some crazy teams that will throw him a long term deal with good dollars as well in FA.

If it was a 3x3 deal, then I agree that it would be surprising if he took that.

You're exactly right.  $3 million to $3.5 million for 4-5 years over the $4.5+ million year by year or 2 year deal other teams will offer him as seems to be the trend.

Less money more term, more term less money

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I think it's a bit of a pipe dream to those that think we could trade him and then re-sign him. Under those circumstances, we also would be getting a much smaller return which people won't be happy with. With that said, Edler has stated that as long as the team wants him, he wants to stay. If the team asks him to waive his NTC, he may accept the fact that the team no longer wants him and will likely not re-sign.

I believe that it's going to be trade for whatever we can get or keep him as a vet to help our prospects transition (as we may look to FA to do so if he's traded). He can log a ton of minutes and hopefully he can transition to lower minutes as the young players progress. I am completely on board with keeping him (5x3 or 3x5 with a NTC) unless there's an offer that we cannot refuse.

Considering talk has "picked up" it's probably due to it being the last year of his deal. Not to mention teams are interested in acquiring him at the deadline as well. I think any deal involving Edler is expected to be a rental given those two factors. A 1st rounder and a C prospect would be a really good return given the circumstances, hell I'd settle for a 1st rounder and a throw away player.

The thing that throws stones into a trade then re-sign is the fact there are apparently no talks of an extension with Edler. Sounds like management is ready to move on from him after this season. That or they'll move him then talk with him in the offseason. Something tells me Edler will only sign off on a trade if he gets some wink wink nudge nudges from management that they'll look at bringing him back.

I think it is a no brainer if we are out of playoff contention that we ask him if he will accept a trade.  He might be more amenable if he knows it is just for a couple months and that we want to re-sign him in the summer to a multi year deal.

That way he doesn’t have to worry about moving his family and uprooting his life, which by all reports he doesn’t want to.

That would clearly be ideal for the club.  We get a pretty hefty return, we have an open roster spot on that side for Hughes to play some games at the end of the season, and we get Edler back for a couple years to ease Hughes and Juolevi into the league.  He is kind of perfect for that as he will naturally be reducing his ice time at the same time they will be ready for more.

A two year deal and then even maybe a year after that as the third pairing guy depending on how he is doing and if we have someone else ready.

Of course this is all contingent on him being healthy at the deadline and playing the minutes he is now that is in question.

Eagle has been very steady these last two seasons. Bringing a renewed sense of purpose to his play. Playing big minutes, blocking more shots than anyone else in the league, hitting like a truck, and jumping up in the play.

He's the longest serving Canuck on the roster, and truly a bridge between the past and the future.

If he's open to a trade, I hope Benning gets the most he can for Edler, and then re-signs him in the off-season. If not, I hope Benning re-signs him.

Archived