Ray_Cathode

Matt Calvert - the guy that gooned Boeser

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

To be fair, being on the west coast 3 hours behind reduces the number of fans awake or their awake time to process things that happen here, it isn't just poor calls which don't get as much attention and therefore less scrutiny it is also the star players which receive less respect as well. Those fans that are getting their information 2nd or 3rd hand rely upon the bias of the region.

 

The ordinary working fan back east, is not likely awake to witness for themselves and/or add to any complaints of a lack of seeming bias so without the mainstream media and a backlash from a large number of fans things can slip. 

 

We are just on the wrong coast. 

These are very valid points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Baggins said:

The problem is there was nothing illegal about it. It was two players pursuing a loose puck from different directions on a collision course. They could see each other and both knew the other was coming hard for the puck. Moore swept the puck away and braced for contact. Naslund realizing he was losing the race reached as far forward as he could extending himself into a low awkward and vulnerable position just before contact. It was an ugly hit but you can't suspend a player for doing nothing illegal.

 

The only thing mishandled was by Bertuzzi. He was face to face with Moore trying to talk him into dropping the gloves. Moore turned and skated away and the sucker punch followed. Bert should have just dropped the gloves and grabbed Moore when they were face to face. Why bother giving him the choice? I can only guess he was trying to avoid the instigator penalty. Stupid considering the game was already lost. Who would have cared about an extra 2 minutes in an already lost game? Nobody. And vigilante justice would have been served.

 

Most here don't like my opinion of the hit. But were I in Moore's position I wouldn't have done anything different in pursuing a loose puck. Naslund on the other hand made a really poor choice putting himself in such a vulnerable position. Even if he'd made contact with the puck first he would have got creamed in that position. Had he stayed upright I think Moore would have taken more of the impact. Just a lot of poor choices through the whole ordeal.

LOL WHAT?

 

Bracing for contact you say? What's he bracing for when the guy coming (Naslund) isn't bracing for a hit but reaching for the puck, but thanks for the good laugh needed that today!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

These are very valid points.

It is funny, because the fans out here can see just about every game before 10:30 pm, bedtime we are more aware of actual game time plays whereas the easterners have to rely on the sparce highlights they are fed. Now,seeing first hand should make western fans more knowledgeable about teams. I know it sounds really bad and arrogant but western fans should be more ......aware, astute, less fooled by media dogma. The Keith hit was being justified by a rubbing out by Daniel where he contacted his head, that was shown over and over again as justification, they didn't show Keith's highstick, punch to the back of the head or that Keith almost always brought his stickup into the player's face when hit along the boards and Daniel may have brought his elbow up to stop the stick. They ignored that Keith was a repeat offender (suspensions).

 

Just never try to explain the value of seeing a game rather than spoon fed highlights, try and get torched

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

These are very valid points.

I am going to abuse that comment:lol:

 

Canucks have a harder time in the playoffs because of the amount travel. Often twice as much as other teams ie; 2010 Canucks 

So

My theory on why Vancouver is the goalie graveyard less so now but still;

 

Air travel, planes depressurize to 8000 feet, most flyers know they get dried out noses, throats and drink liquids. They are getting dehydrated and goalies more than skaters, lose more body weight through perspiration per game than skaters, they also build up more lactic acid because they play the whole game in almost total body armor. Flying reduces their ability to rehydrate and increases Lactic acid deeper into muscles. Hence in the playoffs the more air travel, the worse fatigue, weight loss and overall ability to recover becomes, even IV's can't help in this. play the back up goalie some of the games depending upon series results and depth of the playoffs.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Baggins said:

The problem is there was nothing illegal about it. It was two players pursuing a loose puck from different directions on a collision course. They could see each other and both knew the other was coming hard for the puck. Moore swept the puck away and braced for contact. Naslund realizing he was losing the race reached as far forward as he could extending himself into a low awkward and vulnerable position just before contact. It was an ugly hit but you can't suspend a player for doing nothing illegal.

 

 

Nope.  Was not how it happened at all.    

Was one of those "convenient" excuses.  But Moore isn't interested in the puck at all!  As a matter of fact, the puck's going right and he veers left into Naslund.\

 

He was trying to take him out.   And did.

 

Sure, Nazzy was in a vulnerable position but that's no excuse.  Guys can't exploit someone being in a bad position to smoke them.  That's why we're still here today, arguing this...because they do.

 

 

 

 

I'll post stills later because, clearly, some still need it broken down.  And it's relevant, as we're still here talking about guys gooning other guys and injuring them in the process.  I don't accept "it was his fault".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody deserves to be sucker punched (no justification for that) though I still get a chuckle when Stevie was surprised he got any reaction from taking a cheapshot at another team's star player.  Right.....and I believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.  *NOBODY* even armchair quarterbacks like myself would be naive as to think there wouldn't be some kind of payback for that kind of action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It is funny, because the fans out here can see just about every game before 10:30 pm, bedtime we are more aware of actual game time plays whereas the easterners have to rely on the sparce highlights they are fed. Now,seeing first hand should make western fans more knowledgeable about teams. I know it sounds really bad and arrogant but western fans should be more ......aware, astute, less fooled by media dogma. The Keith hit was being justified by a rubbing out by Daniel where he contacted his head, that was shown over and over again as justification, they didn't show Keith's highstick, punch to the back of the head or that Keith almost always brought his stickup into the player's face when hit along the boards and Daniel may have brought his elbow up to stop the stick. They ignored that Keith was a repeat offender (suspensions).

 

Just never try to explain the value of seeing a game rather than spoon fed highlights, try and get torched

Same thing happens when people only judge a game from what they see on TV or even at the rink if they are what I call "puck followers".   Sooooo much of the happens away from the puck and though a 2 ref system is better for picking some of it up, there is a tonne that goes unnoticed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I am going to abuse that comment:lol:

 

Canucks have a harder time in the playoffs because of the amount travel. Often twice as much as other teams ie; 2010 Canucks 

So

My theory on why Vancouver is the goalie graveyard less so now but still;

 

Air travel, planes depressurize to 8000 feet, most flyers know they get dried out noses, throats and drink liquids. They are getting dehydrated and goalies more than skaters, lose more body weight through perspiration per game than skaters, they also build up more lactic acid because they play the whole game in almost total body armor. Flying reduces their ability to rehydrate and increases Lactic acid deeper into muscles. Hence in the playoffs the more air travel, the worse fatigue, weight loss and overall ability to recover becomes, even IV's can't help in this. play the back up goalie some of the games depending upon series results and depth of the playoffs.

Please stop posts that I agree with.   It is killing me to keep giving you upvotes.  It feels unnatural.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I am going to abuse that comment:lol:

 

Canucks have a harder time in the playoffs because of the amount travel. Often twice as much as other teams ie; 2010 Canucks 

So

My theory on why Vancouver is the goalie graveyard less so now but still;

 

Air travel, planes depressurize to 8000 feet, most flyers know they get dried out noses, throats and drink liquids. They are getting dehydrated and goalies more than skaters, lose more body weight through perspiration per game than skaters, they also build up more lactic acid because they play the whole game in almost total body armor. Flying reduces their ability to rehydrate and increases Lactic acid deeper into muscles. Hence in the playoffs the more air travel, the worse fatigue, weight loss and overall ability to recover becomes, even IV's can't help in this. play the back up goalie some of the games depending upon series results and depth of the playoffs.

For whatever reason it’s the California teams that have to worst during the regular season, when it comes to playoffs it really depends on who meets who, and whomever is playing each other has an equal travel schedule so it’s not like we have a disadvantage to each series as a separate unit.  

 

One could say in fact we have an advantage as we are used to been around 5-7 most traveled team each year, where as some of the Metro teams get it easy.   Those teams are in the East though, and that only comes into play if we actually make it past three rounds.   

 

Dont really think this is an issue, if it was LA and ANA get extra kudos for winning and making it to the final, Giguire won the Smythe and so did Quick...on a worse travel platorm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Watch again, the puck is 15 to 18 feet up in the air and past them both already.

 

Moore's lean and elbow lead insured the contact.

Most brutal vengeance hit, playoffs, whistles in the pockets one shift Bure was elbowed,high sticked, blindsided and boarded then he did this

Canucks put Odjick in for the next 2 games, penalties go down and Canucks finish out the series. BTW Bure isn't manhandled the last 2 games vs Dallas. The younger bigger Canucks rolled over Dallas

 

 

I saw the puck in the air, but the point was that Keith could've justifiably said he was just playing the body if he just knocked him over instead of throwing the elbow to the head. There could've been an excuse about him just losing sight of the puck, but then it would be no harm onto Daniel. It still should be interference, but I would be less upset about a missed interference call than Daniel being concussed on a dirty play. Basically what I'm saying is that it was a play with intent and that's what made it disgusting.

 

That was an insane sequence of events between Bure and Churla, but clearly that was a different era. Bure would be done for the playoffs and more after that flying elbow in today's era.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 2:16 PM, xereau said:

Part of the system entails the Canucks lodging a formal complain to the DOP(e)S on the play.  Sometimes the DOP(e)S initiate a review themselves.  I think the best action would have been crushing his skull with knuckles his next shift myself...

i heard sestito is starting to practice with the comets now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

 i know travis could turn this guy into a legit 4th line player who literally eats pucks on the PK

He is retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t Virtanen injure him by leaving the door open? 

 

Worst 6th overall pick ever! Not only did he bust out, he injured the guy he was supposed to play like. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope.  Was not how it happened at all.    

Was one of those "convenient" excuses.  But Moore isn't interested in the puck at all!  As a matter of fact, the puck's going right and he veers left into Naslund.\

 

He was trying to take him out.   And did.

 

Sure, Nazzy was in a vulnerable position but that's no excuse.  Guys can't exploit someone being in a bad position to smoke them.  That's why we're still here today, arguing this...because they do.

 

I'll post stills later because, clearly, some still need it broken down.  And it's relevant, as we're still here talking about guys gooning other guys and injuring them in the process.  I don't accept "it was his fault".

Moore actually played the puck and then immediately braced for impact. Tucks his elbow in and leans towards impact. Just as a player is taught.

 

As long as a hit is delivered legally it doesn't matter if a player is in a vulnerable position. You're supposed to be aware and protect yourself. Putting yourself into a vulnerable position with a collision coming is nobodies fault but your own.

 

No need to post stills as they don't really tell the story. The real time video is what truly shows how little time there was for Moore to adjust to Naslund putting himself in a very poor position. It all happens in a fraction of a second.

 

There's a very simple rule here: don't put yourself in a stupid position pursuing the puck knowing another player is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Moore actually played the puck and then immediately braced for impact. Tucks his elbow in and leans towards impact. Just as a player is taught.

 

As long as a hit is delivered legally it doesn't matter if a player is in a vulnerable position. You're supposed to be aware and protect yourself. Putting yourself into a vulnerable position with a collision coming is nobodies fault but your own.

 

No need to post stills as they don't really tell the story. The real time video is what truly shows how little time there was for Moore to adjust to Naslund putting himself in a very poor position. It all happens in a fraction of a second.

 

There's a very simple rule here: don't put yourself in a stupid position pursuing the puck knowing another player is coming.

"she was asking for it because she was dressed really slutty."

 

the simpler rule is have respect for your fellow players and don't be a predator. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Moore actually played the puck and then immediately braced for impact. Tucks his elbow in and leans towards impact. Just as a player is taught.

You do see that "leans towards impact" had him land on his left elbow, no pro puts himself that much off balance, Naslund is Swedish not Scottish while Scots will lead with their chin and feel insulted if you miss I doubt Naslund chin first approach to hitting required that much bracing or the elbow, Moore did something similar to StLouis when he became the leading scorer as well only then he drove him head first into the boards, he only hit defenceless players.

 

Right, lean so far you land on your side, off your skates so if you miss you are right out of the play, no coach teaches that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tas said:

"she was asking for it because she was dressed really slutty."

 

the simpler rule is have respect for your fellow players and don't be a predator. 

Good luck with that one. Ice capades anyone?

 

I always thought the preaching was keep your head up and don't put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You do see that "leans towards impact" had him land on his left elbow, no pro puts himself that much off balance, Naslund is Swedish not Scottish while Scots will lead with their chin and feel insulted if you miss I doubt Naslund chin first approach to hitting required that much bracing or the elbow, Moore did something similar to StLouis when he became the leading scorer as well only then he drove him head first into the boards, he only hit defenceless players.

 

Right, lean so far you land on your side, off your skates so if you miss you are right out of the play, no coach teaches that.

Of course you lean into a pending collision. This is all about reaction time not defenseless players. Defenseless players get hit all the time without penalty.

 

If you're in a race for a loose puck and can see a collision coming what would you do? Prepare for that collision by leaning into it. The other part is what do you expect the other player to do. I would expect him to do the same - prepare for a collision. The last thing I would expect is him putting himself in an awkward and vulnerable position. So what it actually comes down to is did Moore have that .5 of a second (the league standard) to alter what he had already started - preparing for contact? The answer is no. Another factor the league looks at is did the player (Naslund) significantly change his body position making himself vulnerable within that allowed reaction time prior to contact. The answer is yes he did. This is why there was no supsension. I don't believe there would be a suspension on that play today with the current head contact rules that didn't even exist back then.

 

Believe me, I didn't like the hit. Not at all. But not liking something doesn't mean it deserves a suspension. That's determined by the existing rules of the game. Imo Moore didn't break any existing rule and obviously that's the way the league saw it. The DoPS said they "didn't like" the Kadri hit on Daniel, it was a cheap shot. But as the rule is written it was a legal hit. As close to the line as you can get, but legal. You can't suspend a player simply because you don't like the play. It has to actually break a rule as it's written in the rule book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.