The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is There A Player Pettersson Can Be Compared To?

TheGuardian_

It’s early yet but Datsyuk is the closest, or maybe Larionov.  He doesn’t have Sundins or Mario’s physical gifts, and don’t think anyone played like Gretzky did at the same age (Pettersson makes Goldobin a PPG player I will change my mind)  but he’s good enough to get Boeser back on track.  Sakic had a doggedness to him as well, to go along with one of the best wristers all-time but it just doesn’t look the same.  Datsyuk is the closest...

At 19 it’s hard to remember how these legends were exactly, except Gretzky he was all over the news for years and well on his way to obliterating NHL records, talk about an alien.  He’s tall but not physically able to do what Lemuiex and Sundin can do.  The original Magic Man maybe too?

Lots of comparisons can be made:

Elias Lindholm - similar names

Matheson - not as good at skating...much better at wrestling

Elias from WWE - see both above

Johnny Hockey - undersized player everyone said wouldn’t be able to play at the NHL level 

Henrik and Daniel’s secret child???

Alex Mogilny.

Those who knew Mogilny’s game well, will immediately see the parallels in their game. EP might not have the same speed, but he has the moves and the shot. Mogilny was also a terrific playmaker, for those of us who only remember his goals. 

Pat LaFontaine is as close of a comparison as makes no difference as well.

Either Mogilny or LaFontaine is how I’d describe EP’s game, which is really saying something. I wish this kid all the best in having a long, healthy career. 

I think the specific skill comparisons stated in the thread have already captured a lot of what most of us have noticed over the start of EP's career.  Boeser seems to really think Datsyuk is a strong comparison for EP which I find interesting as I mostly see that in EP's ability to control the puck and control play (and doing this without mature strength yet) but also with EP's thinking of the game and ability to execute at high speed.  What sets EP apart however is his repertoire of shots.  The guy has a full arsenal of skills to deploy to score.

There are some players whose play style resemble a specific player but I think EP incorporates a lot of strong elements from several past stars so it's hard to draw a direct comparison.  EP's ability to integrate those elements is, I think, what makes him EP and I look forward to seeing his development.

I have to say though, right now EP skills are basically what I hoped my custom players on EA's NHL series would be.  I am not expecting EP to keep this up (his shooting percentage should be unsustainable) but I think he could still be a point per game player if he can stay healthy and get stronger through the year.

A Gretzky comparison is too extreme in terms of praise, but he does seem to be of that type in terms of where his strengths lie.

Larionov was another good name that was mentioned.  I might see a see a bit of Yzerman or Denis Savard in him as well.  But these are all names that shouldn't really be thrown about after 9 NHL games.

Joe Juneau looked like an automatic Hall of Famer after an entire first season.

Skating or standing around his looks like a 14 yr old Eric Staal. But moving playing hockey he looks like the one and only magic man EP40.

the question should be has anyone looked or played liked like magic man EP40.

answer is no. He’s a new bred of skill IQ and talent. 

My 93 year old grampa says that EP reminds him of Jean Beliveau.  The straight up and down lanky stride, the quick choppy stick handling, and the command of the ice.

I hate to make comparisons so lofty, and on so few games, but he really does look like Wayner out there.  The bank pass was one thing.  But that spinorama pass to Brock from the left blue line to right slot, was absolutely insane.  Laser pass tape to tape, while off balance, and while being pressured hard.  We will have a better idea of who he is most like after a few seasons.  His legend is just starting.

40 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Lots of comparisons can be made:

Elias Lindholm - similar names

Matheson - not as good at skating...much better at wrestling

Elias from WWE - see both above

Johnny Hockey - undersized player everyone said wouldn’t be able to play at the NHL level 

Henrik and Daniel’s secret child???

PracticalPrestigiousAntbear-small.gif

I see the thread attracted the trolls.

1 hour ago, onesmallleap said:

Petr Nedved

Hmmm, not very much.

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

My 93 year old grampa says that EP reminds him of Jean Beliveau.  The straight up and down lanky stride, the quick choppy stick handling, and the command of the ice.

I hate to make comparisons so lofty, and on so few games, but he really does look like Wayner out there.  The bank pass was one thing.  But that spinorama pass to Brock from the left blue line to right slot, was absolutely insane.  Laser pass tape to tape, while off balance, and while being pressured hard.  We will have a better idea of who he is most like after a few seasons.  His legend is just starting.

Oddy enough the thread is really about trying to see him as he plays now, the future will tell later.

I see him better than Datsyuk, a lot better. This kid has the team on his shoulders already, right or wrong fair or not. His game is just so odd.

He definitely looks like he was born to do this, maybe it is just the very small sample size. IMO some players "look" ready and superior in some aspect, figuring out him or at least finding a descriptor may take awhile. BTW Iike the Beliveau reference, the impact on the team resembles that a bit. 

Archived