The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks afford to re-sign Edler after this season?

Hindustan Smyl

Here is my thought:  Realistically, we won’t be able to.

1) Edler will want a long term deal.  I don’t see him signing here for less than 3 years.

2) The Canucks will need to re-up Boeser, along with some other RFA’s.

3) Ben Hutton has emerged this year and is ready to take on more responsibility.

4) Hughes and Juolevi will likely be on the team next season.

So - while there would be an obvious benefit in resigning Edler, I question as to whether it’s practical or even realistic given the term and money he’ll likely want.

How do you guys seeing things playing out?

If karlsson decides we are a few years away and comes here we should definitely resign him. That pairing was lights out when Sweden made the gold medal final. If you give Edler a short leash and play him way less minutes he is amazing.

Its because we play him like 28 minutes a game and tell him to play like Rob Blake instead of like Ohlund is when he hangs himself with his super long leash.

4-3-2 9mil 3yr 3mil cap hit, would be a reasonable contract to close out his career.  He has been pretty good the last season and into this one, considering what has been asked of him and the team he has had in front of him.  The team is only getting better.  And his role will be diminished over the coming seasons.  He really is at a disadvantage monetarily if he insists on preferentially remaining a Canuck; several teams would pay him quite a bit more, I am pretty sure.  Question is, do the Canucks really want him for 3 or so more years?  I have a feeling he is done here, but you never know.

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Here is my thought:  Realistically, we won’t be able to.

1) Edler will want a long term deal.  I don’t see him signing here for less than 3 years.

2) The Canucks will need to re-up Boeser, along with some other RFA’s.

3) Ben Hutton has emerged this year and is ready to take on more responsibility.

4) Hughes and Juolevi will likely be on the team next season.

So - while there would be an obvious benefit in resigning Edler, I question as to whether it’s practical or even realistic given the term and money he’ll likely want.

How do you guys seeing things playing out?

Wait, 3 years is a long term deal? Sorry but 3 years is just a deal. I'm not sure I even consider 5 years long term any more.

That said, our pp hasn't been as good without Edler. Complain as many do he's still our best pp option. Hughes and/or Juolevi might make the team next year but you can't make decisions on what might happen. A move can always be made when what might happen actually happens. The bottom line is they are not gifting spots to young players. They have to earn their spot and force a move as it should be.

1 hour ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

Damn, I wish JB knew exactly what was gonna happen with Tryamkin because that affects everything

We should forget Tryamkin. Talk about needy, this is past embarrassing. 

We have all kinds of good (better than Tryamkin) D players emerging or just round the corner, it is just the immature fan dans on here who on the one side support Tryamkin in his wish not to fight or be too physical and then hypocritically continue to show Tryamkin fights, while wetting their pants, who keep blubbering on about him.

We are past all that, he had his chance to be part of what looks like becoming a very special team and he blew it. We have gone past him, we are not the team we were 2/3 years ago.

40 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

We have all kinds of good (better than Tryamkin) D players emerging or just round the corner, it is just the immature fan dans on here who on the one side support Tryamkin in his wish not to fight or be too physical and then hypocritically continue to show Tryamkin fights, while wetting their pants, who keep blubbering on about him.

We are past all that, he had his chance to be part of what looks like becoming a very special team and he blew it. We have gone past him, we are not the team we were 2/3 years ago.

It's not that Try won't fight, his complaint was he couldn't understand why guys were coming at him for throwing a clean hit. He didn't like that.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing him return with the understanding there's no guarantee on role or ice time, and no clause restricting sending him to the AHL. He'll have to earn what he gets just like everybody else. If he's not ok with that he can stay in Russia playing in his AHL equivalent Russian league.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Spoken like someone who moved to a foreign country with no language skills, newly married to a wife an ocean away, and knew exactly what they wanted in life at that tender age of 20.

geesh.

My guess is we'll know whether or not those rumor of Edler never willing to waive his NTC were true or not.  If they were, then I can definitely see him re-signing here short-term and for cheap.  Seems like Edler is a quiet guy that is not interested in uprooting himself to a new city.  

Otherwise, he will bolt to the first team that will throw stupid money at him comes July 1st.    I can definitely see teams throwing 3 years 5M+ at him.  He'll be 33 at the end highly doubt anyone throws more than 3 year at him.

My guess, Edler re-signs for 1 year or 2 at 4M$ with Vancouver then retire from the NHL and go play 1 or 2 season in Sweden before officially retiring.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's not that Try won't fight, his complaint was he couldn't understand why guys were coming at him for throwing a clean hit. He didn't like that.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing him return with the understanding there's no guarantee on role or ice time, and no clause restricting sending him to the AHL. He'll have to earn what he gets just like everybody else. If he's not ok with that he can stay in Russia playing in his AHL equivalent Russian league.

The sad aspect about Tryamkin's time was that Guddy was out and could have given him the support that might have made a difference. So many issues floating around Tryamkin that I doubt we see him back. As you rightfully point out he has to be prepared to put his time in and he had the ideal opportunity to do that. IMHO the depth in the prospect pool could make his return much more difficult.  

6 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

Damn, I wish JB knew exactly what was gonna happen with Tryamkin because that affects everything

JB is smart keeping the door open on him. But realistically. It's bolted, chained, and has 50 locks on it. 

The fact that he's griping about the team he's on in the KHL, seems to be he's a high maintenance player, and that he just bails if things aren't going his way in the NHL. 

Despite what gifts he brings, I think his ego is writing cheques that exceed his performance. 

On the left side the Canucks have in prospects, Joulevi, Hughes, and eventually Rathbone. By the time Tram figures out he wants to play for Vancouver. 

There may be no room for him. 

If you can bring Edler back, and considering how much he and his family love Vancouver, you do it in a heartbeat. He's far and away the most underappreciated defenseman this franchise has had. There's also something to be said for having a vet or two on the back end and we aren't likely to find a guy of his caliber who will take a better deal than he will. Dude continues to reliably much important minutes.

Hell, signing him to a likely retirement four year deal wouldn't be the end of the world either. The cap will keep rising and likely make whatever he gets inconsequential.

I've tried to write a response like 5 times so I'm just going to do a short post.

I want Edler and Hutton both back next year. I want Del Zotto and Pouliot moved regardless of our place in the standings at he deadline. I am okay with a trade and re-sign with Edler. 

I want to run Edler, Hutton, Hughes on the left side next year with Juolevi playing when there is inevitably injuries. 

My opinion on keeping both veterans may change if Juolevi gets an extended look this season and performs equal to or better than Hutton/Edler. Even then I still think, with injuries, keeping both vets would be a smart move. 

To answer the OP. Yes, we can afford to sign Edler. He would likely be willing to take a similar contract at around 3 years to stay. We have the cap space and have other players that can be moved first if we run into a cap crunch (Roussell, Sutter, Schaller, Gudbranson, Beagle.) I am not worried about the cap...except maybe the Lu thing.

Edler is our best defenseman today and arguably our best defenseman in franchise history.  We absolutely should resign him especially since he loves it here in Vancouver and will most likely sign a team friendly deal.

As someone earlier pointed out, if somehow we can attract Karlsson, our d-corp immediately becomes one of the best in the league seeing what Edler and Karlsson did for Sweden.  Hutton and Guddy have shown to be an okay top pairing and can even be better on the second pairing, and then we have Hugues and Stecher on the third, with Juolevi, Brisebois (I believe our most underappreciated prospect), or Rathbone challenging for a spot.  If we can sign Edler for 4 mill or less, you take that in a heartbeat.

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If you can bring Edler back, and considering how much he and his family love Vancouver, you do it in a heartbeat. He's far and away the most underappreciated defenseman this franchise has had. There's also something to be said for having a vet or two on the back end and we aren't likely to find a guy of his caliber who will take a better deal than he will. Dude continues to reliably much important minutes.

Hell, signing him to a likely retirement four year deal wouldn't be the end of the world either. The cap will keep rising and likely make whatever he gets inconsequential.

LidsterCanucks.jpg

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Spoken like someone who moved to a foreign country with no language skills, newly married to a wife an ocean away, and knew exactly what they wanted in life at that tender age of 20.

geesh.

Non of which will have radically changed. Face it, his time ran out, even if he wanted to come over now - of which there is no evidence, he probably would not accept being a 7 or 8 getting 15 mins.

Archived