The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the complaining and support your team

Alcholic9000

20 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This type of attitude is just going to drive people away. If I'm a frustrated fan, and I see someone saying "love it or leave it" to me, that might just be the push I need to &^@# off for good.

$&!#ting on someone every time they want to vent isn't the best way to keep that person sticking around.

good riddance

There was a lot of hype with Pettersson coming in this year, and another year of Boeser and Horvat, improvement from Virtanen and Hutton, a full year of Gaudette. This team has some great pieces, but a lot of those pieces are still developing elsewhere. Del Zotto, Gagner, Schaller, Granlund, Pouliot are not a part of the future plans. Leipsic's been waived. Goldobin is still a question mark (for me).  

This is not the final product. The Canucks have entered into a new era: the Sedins are retired and the young guys are taking over. There's going to be hiccups, and when they've had to face the number of key injuries they'd had, it's not surprising they're not winning a lot of games right now. IMO, these are the key pieces to a future championship, currently on the team:

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Gaudette

Sutter

Virtanen

Hutton

Motte

In 1-3 years, they'll add:

2019 1st round draft pick

Dahlen

Lind

Palmu

Lockwood

Hughes

Juolevi

Rathbone

Woo

Tryamkin

Demko

DiPietro

23 hours ago, Alcholic9000 said:

We are either in the middle or tail end of a rebuild, every analyst had is ranked near the bottom in every field.  Now that we are losing its all fire this person trade that one.  What is trading mdz gonna get us?  We have maybe 1-2 defence that would make it on a contending team.  Relax. 

I'm personally happy with where we are, we are seeing growth from a lot of our future core, also while we are not winning the effort on most nights seems there.  This is a year to allow mistakes, I am not wanting the team to tank and lose for the sake of losing, but I am completely ok with young players making young player mistakes and our swiss chesse defence (most of which will not be here when we finally come out of rebuild) make terrible plays that cost us the game. 

What I don't want to see happen is for the fans to demand change, stop going games etc.  This is when the aqua brothers start demanding drastic changes and we screw up what is starting to look like a good foundation for instant mediocre results.  

So support the team, buy the $&!#, enjoy all the excuses to drink more in frustration, but don't be a child demanding instant results.  

Sorry for morning drunk rant 

Go Canucks Go

I think a lot of the discord stems from early season success.

Had we started losing right away, most would've accepted it and said it was expected.

But fighting for first place in the Pacific for the first quarter of the season caused a lot of fans to hope for a, beyond expectations, kind of season, this causing a much disappointment in the current situation.

I too, hope they win every night, but I'm not upset at how things are going. This team has a bright future going for it. In a couple seasons we're going to have Toronto problems when it comes to salaries. I am, extremely happy with our development and can't wait to find out who our next future star is going to be at the 2019 draft.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Only problem I have with this line of thinking is it kinda kills the idea of having discussions. On a discussion board. Made for discussion. But what do I know?

You put on the rosey glasses and send praises at the team via posts, and exaggerate things so that your posts are more friendly and “Everything is Awesome” than the rest of us.  Here I will start and you can one up me:

Green is the best coach in the division, if not the conference (you reply that you think he’s the next coming of Al Arbour, a guy that was good at coaching a dynasty which we are surely about to start)

Goldobin is going to be a PPG player soon.

JV is faster than McDavid, and will score 40 soon, maybe even this year.

EP is Gretzky’s love child.  And it shows.

Horvat is going to be the best captain we’ve ever had, and when he’s done they will rename the leadership award after him (F U Messier!).

Markstrom is close to turning a corner. Clark’s pupils (Price etc) took six months or so to absorb what he preaches, then they go on to win Vezinas.

Hughes will pass Housley as the all-time American defenseman with 1300ish points by the time he’s done.  Multiple Norris trophies on the way.

Benning is a god, way more good things than mistakes.  Bear, Granlund, Goldobin, Dahlen > a few draft picks sent the other way...

20 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Bravo.

This market can be so stupid sometimes.

This is what the team should have started to look like a couple years ago, but the greaseball owners were so afraid of losing their shirts in ticket revenue that they did everything they could to prevent the rebuild starting earlier. Well, that was the worst thing the team could have done and you could argue set them back at least three years in the rebuild.

I like this team. I like where it's going now because we see the future. And quite honestly, I don't give a fat rat's a$$ whether we win or lose at this stage. I'm just enjoying watching the kids learn and grow and as long as the team is playing fast and efforting every night, I'm happy. 

You can tell who on these boards have never played team sports because they don't appreciate how going through this now will make this teams' future success taste all the more sweeter when it comes. 

C'mon fans...embrace the pain. 

Not just team sport... life it self. 

If you have had hard times you know, when you have good times. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

You put on the rosey glasses and send praises at the team via posts, and exaggerate things so that your posts are more friendly and “Everything is Awesome” than the rest of us.  Here I will start and you can one up me:

Green is the best coach in the division, if not the conference (you reply that you think he’s the next coming of Al Arbour, a guy that was good at coaching a dynasty which we are surely about to start)

Goldobin is going to be a PPG player soon.

JV is faster than McDavid, and will score 40 soon, maybe even this year.

EP is Gretzky’s love child.  And it shows.

Horvat is going to be the best captain we’ve ever had, and when he’s done they will rename the leadership award after him (F U Messier!).

Markstrom is close to turning a corner. Clark’s pupils (Price etc) took six months or so to absorb what he preaches, then they go on to win Vezinas.

Hughes will pass Housley as the all-time American defenseman with 1300ish points by the time he’s done.  Multiple Norris trophies on the way.

Benning is a god, way more good things than mistakes.  Bear, Granlund, Goldobin, Dahlen > a few draft picks sent the other way...

Why get specific when you can end it all in one fell swoop?

Everything is fine and nothing is wrong. Just watch the games.

Much has been said, and rightfully so, about this team’s lack of willingness to stand up for each other, when the other team takes liberties on their teammates.

I’ve been to a few ECHL games in the last while, and the push back is automatic. If liberties are taken, it looks like a garage sale out there. Mittens and sticks all over the place. The reason for this is that half the guys out there are one bad game away from pumping gas, instead of playing the game the love for a paycheque.

This is not the case with our Canucks. The so called “grit” guys don’t have enough competition, and for some reason they worry more about getting hurt, than protecting their teammates. Unfortunately,  each of these guys think that their value comes from the paltry amount of offense that they might bring to the table.

Wrong, wrong, a thousand times wrong.

EP40, Brock, and Bo are the meal ticket for this team. Keep them out of harms way and all will be well.

Is it just me or do a lot of fans and nearly all media not know how to cheer/root for a rebuilding team?

Every day after a game it's more about focusing on the negative stuff instead of trying to focus on positives or look toward the future. The Canucks were expected to be a horrifically bad team this year, yet most post game comments come off as if we were supposed to win.

I suppose I get it a little bit in that, when your team is bad you are waiting for that next transaction to talk about. But this is not a video game where we can make 5 trades in 5 minutes. We are at a stage of development where more than likely the next most significant move will happen at the trade deadline (maybe) and then even more so at the draft. so that's March and June respectively, those dates are far away. 

A lot of people don't seem to be able put players performance into perspective based on the team we have.

For instance:

People should be lauding Goldobin for stepping up this year. He's on pace for 45 points. If you would've told anyone before the season that Goldy would put up 45 points, they would've been more than happy with that in his first full season at age 23. But yet people still seem to be humming and hawing about him and downplaying what he has done so far this year. 

I mean there are lots of positives to focus on:

Pettersson

Horvat

Boeser 

Goldobin

Virtanen

Granlund

Hutton

Stecher

But all of these need to be put into perspective because their playing on a below average to bad team with limited depth and not a cup contending team. It just seems a lot of people only want to focus on the negatives. Even when those players won't be consequential members of this team when the team is good again. Even some of the players I have mentioned probably won't be key members of this team when they are good again.

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Much has been said, and rightfully so, about this team’s lack of willingness to stand up for each other, when the other team takes liberties on their teammates.

I’ve been to a few ECHL games in the last while, and the push back is automatic. If liberties are taken, it looks like a garage sale out there. Mittens and sticks all over the place. The reason for this is that half the guys out there are one bad game away from pumping gas, instead of playing the game the love for a paycheque.

This is not the case with our Canucks. The so called “grit” guys don’t have enough competition, and for some reason they worry more about getting hurt, than protecting their teammates. Unfortunately,  each of these guys think that their value comes from the paltry amount of offense that they might bring to the table.

Wrong, wrong, a thousand times wrong.

EP40, Brock, and Bo are the meal ticket for this team. Keep them out of harms way and all will be well.

I love that style of game, but the hard truth to swallow is that is just not a part of the league anymore, and it's not likely to come back.  I have no issue with the competitive level of the team.  They've had a few games where they were clearly overwhelmed, but battled hard in the rest of them.

That kind of swagger and confidence is earned though and they haven't gained the confidence to play that way yet.  

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love that style of game, but the hard truth to swallow is that is just not a part of the league anymore, and it's not likely to come back.  I have no issue with the competitive level of the team.  They've had a few games where they were clearly overwhelmed, but battled hard in the rest of them.

That kind of swagger and confidence is earned though and they haven't gained the confidence to play that way yet.  

Except for the playoffs.  I mean they will still call every chinzy holding and hooking call when a player's stick barely touches another players waist area.  But as far as your garden variety 'roughing'?   fagetaboutit.

As far as the OP,  I agree.  I'm not worried. I was more angry last season when Bo and others were out about this time.  This year, maybe its Petey, but I'm not concerned.  I'd like them to win games. I like watching them win games. But I still have this underlining sense of optimism this season, no matter where we end up.

latest?cb=20120415050610

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Well said. I just got a bit nostalgic there.:mellow:

It's a re-build, regardless of how the GM and ownership try to spin it.  Team has a very average roster, with a smattering of high end prospects.  Not going to be contenders for at least a few years.  So sit back and enjoy when the young guys do well and ignore the scoreboard for... a while... 

On 12/2/2018 at 12:42 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This type of attitude is just going to drive people away. If I'm a frustrated fan, and I see someone saying "love it or leave it" to me, that might just be the push I need to &^@# off for good.

$&!#ting on someone every time they want to vent isn't the best way to keep that person sticking around.

If you don’t stick around then your not a true fan anyway.  

Oops did I just criticize you enough for you to permanently leave?

What is there to support?  When management consistently makes bad decision after bad decision people should be vocal about their displeasure.  Just blindly cheering for your team and acting like everything is great, or being complacent with the team, is exactly how some of those teams that had lengthy stays at the bottom got by.  No pressure on ownership to make a change, why would they change anything?  

Archived