Sign in to follow this  
xereau

[GDT] Canes @ Nucks Wed Jan 23 2019 -- All Star Break Edition --

Rate this topic

57 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Just doesn't make sense to me. You put the guy on the 3rd line with guys like Sutter and Eriksson who have stone hands and expect the kid to put up numbers. He's doing his job just fine. If you want him to put up numbers, put him with guys that will actually produce!!!!!! 

He is doing the role he is put in perfectly fine. Effort wise he is very consistent. I cannot agree more with what you wrote. Why not try him Lw with petterson. 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, logic said:

Lmao boeser has 25 points in last 26 games... Horvat won 17 of the teams 36 total face offs the other night, and has been a workhorse what team are you watching 

Brock has very quietly gotten those points I was blown away that he had that many.. But I ask you this how many in the last 10? And how many are goals in the last 10? How many goals has bo scored the last month compared to December? I think thats what buddy meant. Everyones offense died there for a bit not just jakes

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Just doesn't make sense to me. You put the guy on the 3rd line with guys like Sutter and Eriksson who have stone hands and expect the kid to put up numbers. He's doing his job just fine. If you want him to put up numbers, put him with guys that will actually produce!!!!!! 

3 minutes ago, khay said:

I understand the frustration but instead of wondering why he is not playing with EP or Bo, but wonder why can't Virtanen become the play driver on that line. 

I don't want to diminish their importance to the team but Sutter and Eriksson are support players. If Virtanen can play to his potential and be a play driver, it will help maximize Eriksson and Sutter's productions as well.

All this talk about getting Ferland led me to wonder: what does Virtanen lack that prevents him from playing at Ferland's level? Physicality? Virtanen weighs more and they are of similar height. Skill? It's not like Ferland is a supremely skilled player. Skating? Virt wins. The only difference is the intensity. Why do we need Ferland, if we got our own player, 4 years younger, who can be better than Ferland? I think at this point, Virtanen needs to play with more fire and he should play with the desire to become a play driver, that can score 20-25 goals, 45-55 points that can help the players around him to play better.

I think Virtanen can be more than what he is now if he can play with more intensity. The last thing we want is for him to get complacent playing every game with the same level of mild level of intensity, like Eriksson and Sutter. 

Regarding potential scratches to either Goldobin or Virtanen:

For Virtanen, it's not so much about point production, but rather battle-level and intensity. As I've mentioned before, he's playing with a certain calmness that could be seen as indifference. Still playing a responsible defensive game, but lacking in energy. I haven't seen him create game-changing havoc lately, and he has the potential to show like Ferland during the 2014-2015 playoffs. 

As for Goldy, it's about creating plays when he has the puck, and fighting for it when he doesn't. So much talent and potential, but lacks a certain drive. It's not my hope to invalidate what he's been doing up to this point as he's miles ahead of where he was in seasons past, but there are reasons why he has been scratched, not to mention he hasn't hit the score sheet in the last five games he DID play. He may be fourth in scoring, but Eriksson is also only 3 points behind him.

• Upvote 1

Ferland.

He is playing for a contract.

Green is sitting Jake? Really? With Ferland to deal with? Say good night to Edler, Tanev or Gudbranson.

He destroyed the Canucks as a rookie and he is better now.

21 minutes ago, therodigy said:

For Virtanen, it's not so much about point production, but rather battle-level and intensity.

This keeps coming back to the Canucks wanting a different player than Jake is, because he is one of the bigger players they want him to be a big hitter. Joe Thorton was traded away from Boston because he wasn't a big hitter, not to say Jake is anywhere close to Thorton's level but this seems to be a repeating cycle, the rest of the team is too small so the few big young players are crammed into the round hole.

Edited by TheGuardian_

6 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Ferland.

He is playing for a contract.

Green is sitting Jake? Really? With Ferland to deal with? Say good night to Edler, Tanev or Gudbranson.

He destroyed the Canucks as a rookie and he is better now.

Ferland is listed as day to day with an upper body injury.

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Ferland is listed as day to day with an upper body injury.

He hurt himself last night? That would be a break for the Nucks.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This keeps coming back to the Canucks wanting a different player than Jake is, because he is one of the bigger players they want him to be a big hitter. Joe Thorton was traded away from Boston because he wasn't a big hitter, not to say Jake is anywhere close to Thorton's level but this seems to be a repeating cycle, the reat of the team is too small so the few big young players are crammed into the round hole.

That's also a fair point. For me, it's not so much about the big hits and an overall meanness, but using his speed and strength to disrupt and intimidate. I do agree with you that sometimes it feels like they're trying to turn Virtanen into a Bertuzzi/Torres/Neely type player. On the flipside, he has a very unique blend of skills, and I believe that management are pushing him to see what he can potentially turn out to be. Whether that's to Virtanen's benefit is debateable.

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Awesome work, Gassy. I love the hurricane in the water. Between your orca pics and City's gifs, the GDTs are always excellent.

Carolina is gonna experience a storm tonight... the Pettersson storm. Landfall approximately 7:10 PM.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, therodigy said:
18 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This keeps coming back to the Canucks wanting a different player than Jake is, because he is one of the bigger players they want him to be a big hitter. Joe Thorton was traded away from Boston because he wasn't a big hitter, not to say Jake is anywhere close to Thorton's level but this seems to be a repeating cycle, the reat of the team is too small so the few big young players are crammed into the round hole.

That's also a fair point. For me, it's not so much about the big hits and an overall meanness, but using his speed and strength to disrupt and intimidate. I do agree with you that sometimes it feels like they're trying to turn Virtanen into a Bertuzzi/Torres/Neely type player. On the flipside, he has a very unique blend of skills, and I believe that management are pushing him to see what he can potentially turn out to be. Whether that's to Virtanen's benefit is debateable.

I wonder if it is possible that this is a pretext to a trade?

The two shoulder injuries Jake has already suffered likely reduce the amount of hitting he should be doing.

Goldy and petey need to play together ep has had the best chemistry with goldy because there offensively creative together and ya jv has been off the score sheet but hes still been involved getting in guys faces or frustrating the opposition 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

I understand the frustration but instead of wondering why he is not playing with EP or Bo, but wonder why can't Virtanen become the play driver on that line. 

I don't want to diminish their importance to the team but Sutter and Eriksson are support players. If Virtanen can play to his potential and be a play driver, it will help maximize Eriksson and Sutter's productions as well.

All this talk about getting Ferland led me to wonder: what does Virtanen lack that prevents him from playing at Ferland's level? Physicality? Virtanen weighs more and they are of similar height. Skill? It's not like Ferland is a supremely skilled player. Skating? Virt wins. The only difference is the intensity. Why do we need Ferland, if we got our own player, 4 years younger, who can be better than Ferland? I think at this point, Virtanen needs to play with more fire and he should play with the desire to become a play driver, that can score 20-25 goals, 45-55 points that can help the players around him to play better.

I think Virtanen can be more than what he is now if he can play with more intensity. The last thing we want is for him to get complacent playing every game with the same level of mild level of intensity, like Eriksson and Sutter. 

Good post. The only caveat I'd make is that line (with Sutter) is typically being used as a shutdown line against the other teams top line and D pairing so its a bit of an ask for Jake to be a driver in that role per se.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Regarding potential scratches to either Goldobin or Virtanen:

For Virtanen, it's not so much about point production, but rather battle-level and intensity. As I've mentioned before, he's playing with a certain calmness that could be seen as indifference. Still playing a responsible defensive game, but lacking in energy. I haven't seen him create game-changing havoc lately, and he has the potential to show like Ferland during the 2014-2015 playoffs. 

As for Goldy, it's about creating plays when he has the puck, and fighting for it when he doesn't. So much talent and potential, but lacks a certain drive. It's not my hope to invalidate what he's been doing up to this point as he's miles ahead of where he was in seasons past, but there are reasons why he has been scratched, not to mention he hasn't hit the score sheet in the last five games he DID play. He may be fourth in scoring, but Eriksson is also only 3 points behind him.

I agree, the sad fact is that Jake needs a wake up call every so often. It is in his DNA it seems to get comfortable and think he has arrived. He doesn't seem to understand Green and management see him as a game changer, a player who goes out and creates bedlam, someone who makes the opposition wary and uncomfortable when he is on the ice.

He needs to get this message tattooed on his forehead.

If he is not constantly upsetting the opposition he is falling down on the job expected of him.

Goldy I think has made greater strides considering where his baseline was. He has a high hockey IQ that makes him a catalyst of creativity which others can feed off. However that is only appreciated IF he is doing all the other little details consistently and keeping his head in the game.

I don't think Goldy gets benched for a bad pass, it is for not repairing the damage after it (see EP40 for example) Imo Goldy has the potential to be one of the top 3 forwards in the team but only if he keeps up the work rate and learns more consistency.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Violator said:

Scratching virtanen doesnt make sense.

Bo and Brock havent been very good either in the last couple weeks.

Definately alot more people that dont show up that never get sat for a game.

Weren't they mentored by the Sedins? ::D

I like the new minimalist approach to the GDT.    Short/sweet and to the point.

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-
Please don't quote the entire GDT.
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, khay said:

Virtanen isn't a play driver, he needs to get a pass and move the puck up the ice. That is what he is skilled at, not being a fancy creative guy.

He has never been that, wasn't drafted for that, wasn't drafted to be that, and hasn't been told to do that.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

36 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I see Jake as being an "Evander Kane" type player and I believe he just needs to put everything together and realize his true potential. Bringing that "intensity" on a consistent basis is what he needs to do but I give him a bit of leeway as he is a developing player who is going to be a key to this teams success in the future.

• Upvote 1