The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Edler will be 35 and probably not necessary to protect, but at just 31, Tanev will likely still be a valuable asset (assuming he's still on the team at that point) and worth protecting. Who knows where Hutton and Stecher will be and how good they'll be.

It's kind of a weird situation though.

Edler's your BEST defenceman. Are you just gonna give him up for free when Seattle picks him? I don't think it's as clear cut as people think it is.

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Edler's your BEST defenceman. Are you just gonna give him up for free when Seattle picks him? I don't think it's as clear cut as people think it is.

Give him an expensive multi year NTC contract where he can list 31 teams he can't be traded to. (......don't know if NTC disappear if taken in expansion )

4 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Give him an expensive multi year NTC contract where he can list 31 teams he can't be traded to. (......don't know if NTC disappear if taken in expansion )

Whoops, the article was only talking about NMC and not NTCs.

I wish I could find an example of an NTC that got moved to expansion.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Here is a passage from an article I just read.

Each club has the option of protecting seven forwards, three defensemen and a goaltender, or eight skaters (forward or defense) and a goalie. All first- and second-year players, and all unsigned draft choices will be exempt.

Players with no-movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected by their teams.

Thanks to the good folks at the indispensable Cap Friendly, here’s a list of players who have “effective & continuing “No Move” clauses in 2021 as part of their contracts”:

Passage taken from: https://www.spectorshockey.net/2018/12/no-movement-clauses-and-the-next-nhl-expansion-draft/

Safe to say, Edler will not waive his NTC. I don't think he should. He's more than earned his NTC.

NMC = no movement clause - protects from expansion.

NTC = no trade clause - does not protect from expansion.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Here is a passage from an article I just read.

Each club has the option of protecting seven forwards, three defensemen and a goaltender, or eight skaters (forward or defense) and a goalie. All first- and second-year players, and all unsigned draft choices will be exempt.

Players with no-movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected by their teams.

Thanks to the good folks at the indispensable Cap Friendly, here’s a list of players who have “effective & continuing “No Move” clauses in 2021 as part of their contracts”:

Passage taken from: https://www.spectorshockey.net/2018/12/no-movement-clauses-and-the-next-nhl-expansion-draft/

Safe to say, Edler will not waive his NTC. I don't think he should. He's more than earned his NTC.

A NTC does not get protection at the ED. My post was a 'tongue in cheek' way to make AE an undesirable pick without having to protect him !

6 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Anyone who wants to complain about 'muh asset management' has to realize that Hughes and Stecher are the only safe bets to have around on the back end long term.

People who get wound up about possibly losing Ben Hutton are insane.

You should wonder over to the Hutton thread where I suggested it might not be a horrible idea to sell high on him...

2 hours ago, mll said:

Not possible because his season ends after the deadline.  For players on a NHL contract to be eligible for the AHL playoffs they have to be on the AHL roster on deadline day - either papered down or already on the AHL roster.  He could plays in the AHL playoffs only on a PTO but his NHL contract would have to start only next season.   

Only caveat to that would be him leaving school early, and signing before the TDL. That however, is highly unlikely to happen. It would be a douche move to 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Chances are (and one would hope) Edler's not our best D in another 2 years. Either way, I HIGHLY doubt SEA would pick a 35 going on 36 year old D man, likely on an expiring contract. His age will be his expansion protection.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Not possible because his season ends after the deadline.  For players on a NHL contract to be eligible for the AHL playoffs they have to be on the AHL roster on deadline day - either papered down or already on the AHL roster.  He could plays in the AHL playoffs only on a ATO but his NHL contract would have to start only next season.   

Thanks for the clarification there man on when he has to papered etc. Hoping he goes deep in the ncaa playoffs and hits atleast the regionals then. Not a sure thing since michigan has kind of struggled. Rather he stays exempt the expansion draft.

41 minutes ago, Isam said:

Thanks for the clarification there man on when he has to papered etc. Hoping he goes deep in the ncaa playoffs and hits atleast the regionals then. Not a sure thing since michigan has kind of struggled. Rather he stays exempt the expansion draft.

He's can still have his season end 'early' and come play 9 games.

I assume he wouldn’t be eligible to play in the playoffs due to not being on the roster by the deadline... but is there a rule that allows NCAA players to be exempt from that?

If we are still in the playoff chase would we give him playing time at the expense of someone we may need during the playoffs?  It could have a big effect on whether they just put him in the AHL or here.

The 9 game rule is for pro hockey, so it is for AHL games as well (not sure if payoff games count towards that)

10 or less games (including playoff games) to avoid expansion draft.

Also by burning first year of his entry deal but not playing enough games for it to be considered a "full season", Hughes will not have arbitration rights at the end of his ELC. Also, other teams will not be able to offer sheet him. Boeser is in the same situation this year.

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Geez we need to avoid cap hell in the future. Be good if he could just practice with the big club. His ELC being delayed might help us down the road.

Hope JB and AQ can figure this out.

Not much to figure out. Just be straight up honest with the guy. Explain the expansion availability rules to him, if he is a team guy he will understand. He also gets to burn 1 year off of his elc. It's a win win scenario.

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

He is now, but I suspect he won't be at the time of the expansion draft unless he retains his current level amazingly well into his twilight years.

3 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

How can you suck and make the playoffs? I wager he'll ratchet up his game as much as he can and beast there and maybe push the series to its limit.

Michigan is only in a playoff position because their conference also sucks. They’re .500 right now but their best forward, josh Norris, is out for the year with injury and Hughes and Lockwood are the highest scorers. Maybe they make the playoffs but it’s also very possible the fall off and his season ends at the beginning of March. 

Just when I thought we were going to get better, Seattle shows up with the expansion draft and messes everything up. Odds are, we're going to lose a valuable player. Hopefully, Benning doesn't protect Markstrom over Demko. That would be a disaster. We got lucky in the last expansion draft, really. Will that happen again? I doubt it. At least we know not to offer up draft picks to Seattle to protect guys.

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Michigan is only in a playoff position because their conference also sucks. They’re .500 right now but their best forward, josh Norris, is out for the year with injury and Hughes and Lockwood are the highest scorers. Maybe they make the playoffs but it’s also very possible the fall off and his season ends at the beginning of March. 

Conference actually doesnt suck. Notre dame, ohio state, and penn state are ranked in the top 20 in the nation.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:41 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

Bring on March 3rd! 

Even with the growing pains that will accompany the jump to the NHL, I still think Hughes will be a better option on the back end than Pouliot. 

Although no one in the current Canucks system can or should be compared to Pettersson, I suspect Hughes will have the same period of adjustment as Boeser. 

I have a feeling that by the end of the season, if Hughes isn’t on the top pairing, he is certainly pushing for a top spot next year.

Archived