The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's our best defenceman without Edler or Tanev?

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Who would you pick...  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a little curious to what everyone else thinks is the Canucks best D when our 2 best are out of the lineup. It's not easy to pick imo, I think it goes to show how weak this D really is when Edler and Tanev are not in the lineup, but even when those 2 are in the lineup the D is still really weak behind them. Imo for this team to be a playoff team or make a push in the playoffs one day, they need more depth on D for that to happen.

I think Stecher has probably played the best (slightly) but Hutton is the guy who is the best. He has more natural ability than TS and I think his instincts are better.

You have to give Green credit for this. A year ago, Hutton looked like he could be a bust, but Travis handled him perfectly. I've always said, one of a coach's main tasks is to figure out how to motivate players. Some need a pat on the back and some need a kick in the pants.

Hutton needed a kick and props go to TG for his punting prowess.

From that anemic list of Canucks D, I’d only shudder imagining watching the Canucks play if Guddy wasn’t there.

So, for me, it’s Guddy.

Not because he’s the best Dman, but because he is irreplaceable and the only thing stoping the Canucks from becoming abuse victims again. 

I’d have two EG’s before I had two Huttons, Stetchs, Poops, etc. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

From that anemic list of Canucks D, I’d only shudder imagining watching the Canucks play if Guddy wasn’t there.

So, for me, it’s Guddy.

Not because he’s the best Dman, but because he is irreplaceable and the only thing stoping the Canucks from becoming abuse victims again. 

I’d have two EG’s before I had two Huttons, Stetchs, Poops, etc. 

How high are you?

3 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Lmao, you'd like two -27 players on defense. Makes sense. 

I’d rather lose the game than the fight, anyway. 

The Canucks are still crawling out of their image-hole of being the league’s bitch. 

During a rebuild, you need rugged character guys to at least maintain the sweater’s integrity.

If this team lost Hutton for the season, it wouldn’t matter. Same goes for Stetch and Poop. Losing Guddy would hurt the team’s ability to push back against physicality. He provides something that no other Canucks Dman can. 

I place more value on intimidation and toughness than you do. I’d rather lose well than lose and be beaten up. That’s fine if you don’t see it the same way. 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d rather lose the game than the fight, anyway. 

The Canucks are still crawling out of their image-hole of being the league’s bitch. 

During a rebuild, you need rugged character guys to at least maintain the sweater’s integrity.

If this team lost Hutton for the season, it wouldn’t matter. Same goes for Stetch and Poop. Losing Guddy would hurt the team’s ability to push back against physicality. He provides something that no other Canucks Dman can. 

I place more value on intimidation and toughness than you do. I’d rather lose well than lose and be beaten up. That’s fine if you don’t see it the same way. 

In the current NHL, I would completely disagree. Guddy has brought no value and rarely reacts or gives energy to the line up (case and point, the two times he failed to react when Pettersson got hurt). 

If we lost Guddy, I think we would have more wins than losses.

42 minutes ago, warrchief said:

In the current NHL, I would completely disagree. Guddy has brought no value and rarely reacts or gives energy to the line up (case and point, the two times he failed to react when Pettersson got hurt). 

If we lost Guddy, I think we would have more wins than losses.

I’ve seen enough of Guddy-less Canucks hockey.

He’s the only D I’d miss if he was actually gone.

Interestingly, you guys want to revert back to what it was before, with Hutton being the rugged presence in front of Marky.

Suit yourselves.

He might not be the MVP back there, as I said when I first posted, but he is the only resemblance of a backbone, albeit seemingly missing at times.

Feel free to choose Stetch or Hutton. 

I wonder if their trade values are the same as Guddy’s today. 

Somehow I doubt JB is fielding calls about those two, but wouldn’t be surprised if he is being asked about EG. 

Archived