The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

On 3/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, SilentSam said:

This is why I can not hold any weight to the truth in Analytics.

The singular personal analytics isn’t based on personal play..   it’s a graph that does not account for Team play, or the cause and effect  of others that effect the singular player on that graph.

Its over hyped.       Gudbranson was singled out when our best D men (?) in Edler and Tanev only play half seasons.

The Team that surrounded Gudbranson isn’t good enough yet.

Yet Analytics will still try to connect rocket science and ping pong.

Gudbranson should still be with this club and Tanev should have left last season ago when he was worth something.

There is a team building here, it’s the old guard that needs to go,  tired of hearing about fan favourites.

Meanwhile it’s an open house on head shots to our higher end talent,.  and no deterrent to answer to.

9AAFBF58-A39B-453E-9D62-4CB8ACF9B665.png

Plenty of headshots occurred with Gudbranson on the team and plenty of goals against along with them.

Small sample size so far, but Pearson has 6 points in 11 games which is on pace to some of his best seasons so far. Looking like a good fit with Horvat, but I feel he could play well in a crash and bang line with Gaudette and Virtanen as well.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Small sample size so far, but Pearson has 6 points in 11 games which is on pace to some of his best seasons so far. Looking like a good fit with Horvat, but I feel he could play well in a crash and bang line with Gaudette and Virtanen as well.

Pearson provides scoring depth. In the full seasons he's played he's got 36, 44 (24 goals), and 40 point seasons respectively before this season. I would say this season was an anomaly for him. L.A had one of the worst starts to their franchise, was traded to a team with a very loaded and a logjam of a line-up  where he was being utilized as a 4th line checking role, with minimal ice-time. Of course he wasn't going to be putting points. 

He comes here and is given more ice-time similar to his time in L.A and being used in a similar role. Playing with Horvat has certainly helped as well and IMO Pearson is the kind of player Horvat needs. 

This trade is more than just addition by subtraction. We are actually getting better by acquiring Pearson because Pearson is a solid hockey player.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

Pearson provides scoring depth. In the full seasons he's played he's got 36, 44 (24 goals), and 40 point seasons respectively before this season. I would say this season was an anomaly for him. L.A had one of the worst starts to their franchise, was traded to a team with a very loaded and a logjam of a line-up  where he was being utilized as a 4th line checking role, with minimal ice-time. Of course he wasn't going to be putting points. 

He comes here and is given more ice-time similar to his time in L.A and being used in a similar role. Playing with Horvat has certainly helped as well and IMO Pearson is the kind of player Horvat needs. 

This trade is more than just addition by subtraction. We are actually getting better by acquiring Pearson because Pearson is a solid hockey player.

Well the trade was a dman for a winger. Usually dmen have more value which is probably why Pittsburgh was willing to take the extra year of salary. Pearson certainly wasn't having a good season and it was a gamble to take him on if he couldn't get his game back in order. I liked Gudbranson and still don't believe he deserved the criticism he had recieved here. With that said, I remembered liking Pearson during the games against us when he was in LA. I remember him being a very fast player and burning our defense a couple of times in one game. He didn't seem to have this breakaway speed that I saw when he first got here, so I'm not sure if it's the league just faster and caught up to him or if he's lost a step, both of which could've also accounted for his decrease in production this year. I remain cautiously optimistic about Pearson because even Leipsic had a good final stretch of games to close out the year for us after being traded, then fizzled the next season.

We will have a major logjam next season, so it'll be interesting how Benning is going to sort out the roster. Spooner has had 3 assists in 6 games, Baertschi is aiming for a return and Goldobin looked more inspired before being sat out once again. Leivo has looked really good despite not having the best point output (16 points in 42 games with the Canucks). Add in Boeser, Virtanen, Granlund, Eriksson, Motte and even Schaller, plus whichever other young player(s) are vying for a spot and there just too many. Even at center with Gaudette looking to stick is going to push someone out at center possibly or one center is also going to be shifted to wing adding to the logjam.

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

Pearson and Leivo have both been great additions. Plus they'll still be in their prime (27-29) when we're actually competitive again.

Solid depth players that can play up and down the lineup. 

Both players kind of remind me of Higgins

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Pearson and Leivo have both been great additions. Plus they'll still be in their prime (27-29) when we're actually competitive again.

Solid depth players that can play up and down the lineup. 

Both players kind of remind me of Higgins

Given Canucks injury history, having Pearson who can play lw for gaudette and move up to horvats line if needed is actually pretty valuable. Plus, his contract ends at the same time as petterssons elc, so it doesn’t handcuff the team at all. 

Could see hime potting 35-40 points next year and maybe help elevate gaudette/virtanen

On 3/20/2019 at 6:10 PM, kanucks25 said:

I guess all that's left to do when you're called out on your factually incorrect statements is to leave a "confused face" reaction and walk away.

Penguins latest game:

Derp.    Your concept of 'facts' is laughable.

Look at the games that post - on the 16th - was referring to and you'll see why you earned a confused face - a derp would have been preferable but 'confused face' is the simpler option when a poster isn't worth the waste of words.  But, but look at the 'latest game' where the facts are different lol (and Letang/Dumoulin are back to their top pairing....)

Whatever soothes your wounded ego.

What a sad lot - of posters stung by the fact Gudbranson is performing well in Pittsburgh - weakly seeking solace and corroboration for their obsession and contempt for the player - but ironically coming to the wrong place.

Gudbranson in Pitts:

47.5% ozone starts

56.5% corsi

1.1 on ice goals against per 60 minutes 5 on 5.

2.3 on ice goals for.

+5

30 hits

15 blocked shots.

19:34 ice-time/game.

Painful 'facts' to the egos of people that so strangely (to put it nicely) bank on a player's failure.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Look at the games that post - on the 16th - was referring to and you'll see why you earned a confused face - a derp would have been preferable but 'confused face' is the simpler option when a poster isn't worth the waste of words.  But, but look at the 'latest game' where the facts are different lol (and Letang/Dumoulin are back to their top pairing....)

What a sad lot - of posters stung by the fact Gudbranson is performing well in Pittsburgh - weakly seeking solace and corroboration for their obsession and contempt for the player - but ironically coming to the wrong place.

Gudbranson in Pitts:

47.5% ozone starts

56.5% corsi

2.3 on ice goals for.

+5

30 hits

15 blocked shots.

Painful 'facts' to the egos of people that so strangely (to put it nicely) bank on a player's failure.

Ironically you've made more personal attacks towards "certain posters" in this post alone than I ever have against Gudbranson.

I've said multiple times that I wish him the best and hope he plays well. No rational person is hoping that the guy fails at his career or anything.

How he plays in Pittsburgh changes nothing about how he played here. You're arguing with nobody when listing his stats, most people have agreed that he's played well so far as a Penguin.

e/ Also, that last game had nothing to do with the 8 game stretch before it (when Letang wasn't back yet).

Simply put, he hasn't been amongst the high-minute men since they started getting healthy as you suggested.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gudbranson in Pitts:

47.5% ozone starts

56.5% corsi

2.3 on ice goals for.

+5

30 hits

15 blocked shots.

I think Rutherford is a mastermind at realizing players strengths and where they could fit in on his team.

His relationships with Coaches over the years must be praised for finding the key components to address the needs to keep themselves constantly a playoff contender or participant.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Rutherford is a mastermind at realizing players strengths and where they could fit in on his team.

His relationships with Coaches over the years must be praised for finding the key components to address the needs to keep themselves constantly a playoff contender or participant.

I can't agree with you - at all - regarding Rutherford - and could make a long list for you of counterpoints that do not fit this story....briefly and very recently - the cost of acquiring and then dumping Brassard, Reaves, Sheahan....but there are also the counterpoints - ie Bonino, Gud, Bjugstad, McCann.

I think he was at considerable odds with Mike Johnston and pretty much by default/accident/perfect storm had Sullivan take over and refit what wasn't working in mid course.

I think it's Sulllivan that deserves more of the credit - but way beyond that - when you inherit a core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, DuMoulin, sprinkle in a Guentzel, Maata here and there...it gives you a lot to work with imo and a larger margin of error within which they can still be successful.

With a guy like Kessel - another good example of an acquisition that was failing but.....it doesn't hurt when you can take an 8 million guy and throw him on your '3rd' line with a center like Bonino - and cause literal matchup nightmares for teams attempting to deal with the Crosby Malkin lines.....not sure that was Rutherford's intention - at all - when he acquired Kessel - I think it was more a perfect storm...but whatever mistakes Rutherford has made - and it's pretty easy to identify a fair number of them - the Pens are asset rich enough that they didn't really matter enough / did not outweigh their trajectory.   Arguably the Brassards, Sheahans, Reaves types may be 'worth' it when they are balanced against the counterpoints like Schultz - if you don't take risks, make mistakes/failures, you're probably not going to hit the exceptions/home-runs either?

And maybe Rutherford does deserve more credit - he did hire Sullivan - to coach their AHL club....I'm just not sure there are many GMs out there that could not have won with what he inherited - imo that club was at a point where it was close to winning virtualy on auto-pilot.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, riprypien said:

I've always liked Eriksson with Bo. That line has been looking good.

I mean if eriksson can play half decent , he could be a better trade chip, or play decent for our club instead of buying him out. We should all pull for him 

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Having Crosby and Malkin helps quite a bit. They spend a lot of their time on the other end putting the the puck in the net and both are VERY responsible in their own end as well. Justin Schultz was absolutely awful in Edmonton, goes to Pittsburgh and hes half decent. A team like Pittsburgh can make pylons like Gudbranson look better than what he really is. If you accounted, scoring, + -, games played, salary, there can be a REAL solid case that Gudbranson could be the worst Canuck defenceman in the last 10 years

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

If you accounted, scoring, + -, games played, salary, there can be a REAL solid case that Gudbranson could be the worst Canuck defenceman in the last 10 years

Larsen, Bartkowski, Weber and Pouliot were so much worse that salary can't move the needle.

25 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Larsen, Bartkowski, Weber and Pouliot were so much worse that salary can't move the needle.

Larsen - didn't really play a whole lot when he was here so its hard to gauge

Bartkowski - yeah pretty bad, 1 million pile of crap vs 4 million, thats the big issue. 18pts in 1 season, Gudranson has 19 in 3

Weber - can skate, was pretty good on the PP , again, thats a 1 million dollar player that actually did something

Pouliot - terrible this year, was barely decent last year, again, 1 milion vs 4 million

You're smoking some pretty good crack if you think Gudbranson is 3 million$ better than those guys. Add to the fact that Gudbranson probably was injured more games than those 4 COMBINED. Salary should matter, $4million you should expect at the VERY VERY VERY least a competent defenceman that can put up 10 pts season, and thats having the bar being low

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4