how else do you explain?

Edited by janisahockeynut

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting enough

Gud is playing 19.5 minutes a night in Pittsburgh and is a plus 5

A higher talent base and a different defensive scheme

Different defensive partner

how else do you explain?

Player trying harder because he is on a new team headed for the playoffs.

i reserve judgement until there is a big sample size.  He already moved down in minutes as other guys have gotten healthy.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting enough

Gud is playing 19.5 minutes a night in Pittsburgh and is a plus 5

A higher talent base and a different defensive scheme

Different defensive partner

how else do you explain?

Really hope the current small sample stays true for the long term. The 'no context, ignore the variables' members of analytical heaven will have to really scramble to explain things. This might be their Waterloo ! ( fingers crossed )

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, riprypien said:

I've always liked Eriksson with Bo. That line has been looking good.

I'd rather see Virtanen on that line - but regardless, they have been really good.

The other night against Ottawa - an exception to the norm recently with Horvat's line handling huge amounts of hard minutes....

They got 57.1% ozone starts (Horvat - with a half dozen d-zone starts compared to his typical workload of 15-20 a night), 58.3% (Pearson) and 75% (LE - who is at 38.4% for the season)....

That line broke out for 10 points and combined +7.....nice to see LE convert some.

But looking forward - would love to see a Pearson Horvat Virtanen line....heavy, hard, two way line that is hard to handle and can handle pretty much any matchup....

If they have a relatively healthy bottom six in behind them - it sure bodes well for EP's line as well - if these guys are presenting another threat opponents need to matchup against, as opposed to seeing this line being the matchup line targetting the opponent's top 6 (a large part of the reason I like having the Sutter-Beagle 1-2 shutdown punch at center).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

what i find great is gudbranson always got the worst partners to play with. and how people like bo get a pass when they play like $&!# because "oh look at his wingers" gudbrason got stuck with every new call up and the likes of pouliot. watching how much time biega gets with edler right now is laughable. it was clear gudbrason was good with edler yet they refused to use him to his strenghts. yet they will just through a "7th defensivemen " with edler now? nothing against biega i like the dude. but the canucks really have along history how poorly deploying their defensive pairings. brings back memories of keith ballard another person that wasnt nearly as bad as canucks fans made him out to be 

Edited by MoldyTaco

6 hours ago, MoldyTaco said:

what i find great is gudbranson always got the worst partners to play with. and how people like bo get a pass when they play like $&!# because "oh look at his wingers" gudbrason got stuck with every new call up and the likes of pouliot. watching how much time biega gets with edler right now is laughable. it was clear gudbrason was good with edler yet they refused to use him to his strenghts. yet they will just through a "7th defensivemen " with edler now? nothing against biega i like the dude. but the canucks really have along history how poorly deploying their defensive pairings. brings back memories of keith ballard another person that wasnt nearly as bad as canucks fans made him out to be 

57 points this year carrying the defensive load in the absence of Sutter and for a month Beagle too, when has Bo played like s***? 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, MoldyTaco said:

not played bad but not played like we need him to if he wants to be a "leader" point is canucks fans favoritism is worse then some coaches 

You spelt 'mouldy' like you spelt 'favouritism'...

Do you also prefer the 4th of July over the 1st?

Asking cuz' we have a Queen, and she ain't happy.

#wearenotamused

#whoelseremembersthe80's?

5 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

You spelt 'mouldy' like you spelt 'favouritism'...

Do you also prefer the 4th of July over the 1st?

Asking cuz' we have a Queen, and she ain't happy.

#wearenotamused

#whoelseremembersthe80's?

I she aint happy, who cares?  She's a miserable thing, regardless.  There's no making that "happy".

And I'm a citizen, not a subject.   Canada would do well to learn the difference.

• Cheers 2

Just now, oldnews said:

I she aint happy, who cares?  She's a miserable thing, regardless.  There's no making that "happy".

And I'm a citizen, not a subject.   Canada would do well to learn the difference.

I've never met her, so I can't say whether she's miserable, or just British.

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2019 at 8:05 AM, Tre Mac said:

The hate this guy still gets from some of you clowns is comical, just until the playoffs.<_<

What I find comical is the relative embrace of Luke Schenn - who I like and appreciate - but let's be real - he makes Gudbranson look like the roadrunner - and brings about half the intimidation factor.

• Cheers 1

On 3/23/2019 at 8:05 AM, Tre Mac said:

The hate this guy still gets from some of you clowns is comical, just until the playoffs.<_<

This forum's full of people who think they know more than the GM, the coach, and everyone else on the forum. What do you expect? lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

What I find comical is the relative embrace of Luke Schenn - who I like and appreciate - but let's be real - he makes Gudbranson look like the roadrunner - and brings about half the intimidation factor.

But wait, don't forget the 12 hits!

What's also comical is that most will forget/ignore the fact that Benning got Schenn and a pick (7th) for Del Zotto who we had signed for free and wasn't playing for us by the time he was traded. But people will still remember that Del Zotto was moved for a 6th at the TDL and will likely add it to the Benning poor asset management/doesn't know how to trade/bad pro scouting list.

On the flip side, Schenn is cheap, will likely clear waivers so would be a decent call up option if re-signed. If Schenn does end up being a regular player for us, then I sure hope we are bolstering our top 4 (eg signing EK) to eat up the majority of the minutes.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, MoldyTaco said:

When you're getting paid $4 million a year, doesn't matter who his partner is, Guddy has to look at the very least decent. If anything, Guddy's partner has sometimes played better than Guddy HIMSELF when their on a pairing. When a player is getting that kind of money, $4 million means that you're a pretty decent defenceman, you don't need another dman to prop you up.

As for Keith Ballard, I didn't think he was bad at all, he really got the short end of the stick with that moron AV favoring his pet Aaron Rome. He wasn't worth the 4 million, but he's an awful lot better when he played than Biega, Pouliot, Sbiza and sure as hell better than Gudbranson

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

When you're getting paid $4 million a year, doesn't matter who his partner is, Guddy has to look at the very least decent. If anything, Guddy's partner has sometimes played better than Guddy HIMSELF when their on a pairing. When a player is getting that kind of money, $4 million means that you're a pretty decent defenceman, you don't need another dman to prop you up.

As for Keith Ballard, I didn't think he was bad at all, he really got the short end of the stick with that moron AV favoring his pet Aaron Rome. He wasn't worth the 4 million, but he's an awful lot better when he played than Biega, Pouliot, Sbiza and sure as hell better than Gudbranson

but look how hes doing in Pittsburgh? he looks pretty decent and worth 4 mil id say. this is the issue with green he forces players to play to what he feels is how you are supposed to play and not playing his players to their strengths. why else would guddy go to a different team and look like a different player?. 

also i think you guys underestimate how being paired with $&!#ty d partner can screw your style of play up big time. guddy may not be a guy that can run his own line. but hes pretty good when partnered with someone that can.. 

4 minutes ago, MoldyTaco said:

but look how hes doing in Pittsburgh? he looks pretty decent and worth 4 mil id say. this is the issue with green he forces players to play to what he feels is how you are supposed to play and not playing his players to their strengths. why else would guddy go to a different team and look like a different player?. 

also i think you guys underestimate how being paired with $&!#ty d partner can screw your style of play up big time. guddy may not be a guy that can run his own line. but hes pretty good when partnered with someone that can.. 

So is almost any serviceable defenceman.

Other players have excelled under the same deployment style. Regardless, it's water under the bridge. He wasn't good here and the reason is moot.

• Upvote 1

Erik is playing for Pittsburgh how he was expected to play in Vancouver when we acquired him. He had three years to prove his worth and was playing at a replacement level for 4 million per year. Pearson isn't worth the money he is paid but is better than a handful of other forwards we have on our team. 

Jared McCann has been on fire in Pittsburgh with a system that fits his style of play nicely. Essentially this has been a McCann for Pearson swap with some extras.

I was a big fan of Jared and was sad to see him moved because he's only 22 and now scoring at a 0.5 goals per game pace with the Penguins.

The trade for Gudbranson was right at the time, and this trade for Pearson was done at the right time too, but on the whole it just would have been worthwhile developing our own first round pick and persevering with McCann and finding a D man elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jared McCann has been on fire in Pittsburgh with a system that fits his style of play nicely. Essentially this has been a McCann for Pearson swap with some extras.

I was a big fan of Jared and was sad to see him moved because he's only 22 and now scoring at a 0.5 goals per game pace with the Penguins.

The trade for Gudbranson was right at the time, and this trade for Pearson was done at the right time too, but on the whole it just would have been worthwhile developing our own first round pick and persevering with McCann and finding a D man elsewhere. 

And the Pens will likely move McCann when he is no longer “affordable”.  Just like when they moved on from Sutter and then Bonino.  No real reflection (in a negative way) of the players.  Just a team having to deal with cap management.

• Cheers 1