The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

On 2/10/2020 at 6:47 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Which is exactly why we need to remain patient with him in the AHL. He's learning the game and will continue to learn it in the NHL, but let him have all the time down there that can be afforded.

With that said I see him being on the team after the trade deadline. Tanev, or maybe Stecher, will be traded

I would really like to see one of them traded, Tanev is worth the most he's been in a couple of years, and isn't getting younger.. and Stretcher, while I love that he is a hometown boy, I think there are better options at the size he is..

2 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I would really like to see one of them traded, Tanev is worth the most he's been in a couple of years, and isn't getting younger.. and Stretcher, while I love that he is a hometown boy, I think there are better options at the size he is..

I can't see management trading Tanev. Would not be good for moral in the room. 

If anything, management has to add, or just stay pat. removing any key pieces would be saying something to the players about management's belief in the current group of players. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If anything, management has to add, or just stay pat. removing any key pieces would be saying something to the players about management's belief in the current group of players. 

I see what you're saying and it does make a lot of sense, trading Tanev would pu out a negative vibe in the team. Maybe stretcher is the man out, he's a great but for his size and skill set, but he can be replaced by the younger players coming up.. 

7 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I see what you're saying and it does make a lot of sense, trading Tanev would pu out a negative vibe in the team. Maybe stretcher is the man out, he's a great but for his size and skill set, but he can be replaced by the younger players coming up.. 

I would love to see Stetcher ends up in Utica.  He would be a great Captain to replace Carter Bancks.  With the amount of guys possibly ending up in Utica next year, I don't see them bringing back Carter.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

I would love to see Stetcher ends up in Utica.  He would be a great Captain to replace Carter Bancks.  With the amount of guys possibly ending up in Utica next year, I don't see them bringing back Carter.

Stretcher is just a bit too good for the AHL I think, having him down there though would make Utica a solid championship contender

He isn't quite skilled enough for top 4, and he's just a bit small for bottom 6 so it's tough with poor stretch. He seems to really like being on the Canucks too

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Stecher won't be playing in the AHL (wouldn't clear waivers for one). If he's going anywhere, it's in trade, not demotion.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Stecher is a solid D on most teams. If we decide to move him, and I think we might, he will attract a lot of interest around the league. He's an NHL player, he would be snapped up in waivers within an hour.

He's a little smaller, but doesn't lack in overall toughness and durability, very above average on skating, handles the puck well and has a decent shot from the point.

The only problem for him is, we have other guys who can replace him from within our system, and all play a similar game and are cheaper. I think due to that, he's likely going to be moved this summer unless someone makes a really good offer before the deadline.

Will be sorry to see him go if he is moved, he's been a solid part of the rebuild.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Stecher is a solid D on most teams. If we decide to move him, and I think we might, he will attract a lot of interest around the league. He's an NHL player, he would be snapped up in waivers within an hour.

He's a little smaller, but doesn't lack in overall toughness and durability, very above average on skating, handles the puck well and has a decent shot from the point.

The only problem for him is, we have other guys who can replace him from within our system, and all play a similar game and are cheaper. I think due to that, he's likely going to be moved this summer unless someone makes a really good offer before the deadline.

Will be sorry to see him go if he is moved, he's been a solid part of the rebuild.

Agreed, it's unfortunate but he is the logical odd man out. Benn and fantenberg have been playing as good enough 6/7 that a Rafferty, Juolevi, or insert name in order to see what they got. 

Stretcher will fetch a third+, maybe a decent young forward with potential. Would still like to see kapanen from Toronto somehow

30 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Agreed, it's unfortunate but he is the logical odd man out. Benn and fantenberg have been playing as good enough 6/7 that a Rafferty, Juolevi, or insert name in order to see what they got. 

Stretcher will fetch a third+, maybe a decent young forward with potential. Would still like to see kapanen from Toronto somehow

Stetcher :) 

29 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I wonder if Stecher might be a part of a plan to get back in the first round this year. Stecher + 3rd for a 20 - 25 range 1st.

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I wonder if Stecher might be a part of a plan to get back in the first round this year. Stecher + 3rd for a 20 - 25 range 1st.

The most logical Stecher trade might be to a contender with shorter term injury problems, and as future playoff depth.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The most logical Stecher trade might be to a contender with shorter term injury problems, and as future playoff depth.

Its possible, but unless we have some clear proof behind the scenes that Tryamkin will 100% be here before the playoffs, I can't see Stecher going anywhere until summer.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its possible, but unless we have some clear proof behind the scenes that Tryamkin will 100% be here before the playoffs, I can't see Stecher going anywhere until summer.

Oh yeah I totally agree. The only other way would be if JB would bring in another 6th Dman with size as a replacement.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

That would be a very good deal on our end, I'm thinking stretcher plus a third might bring us into the high second round. A first round will cost us like a Tanev, maybe a Pearson+ stetcher

Hypothetically speaking, if Sutter and Baertschi are moved in the offseason, then I'd rather lose any of Beagle, Roussel or Benn over Stetcher. Roll with Stetcher and Tryamkin on the bottom pair next year with Fantenberg and Rafferty as extras. 

Unfortunately, our cap situation likely won't allow us to unless significant moves are made. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, N4ZZY said:

The only replacements I’d like to see are through internal promotion - unless there is some equivalent of the Miller trade - where we get a younger guy that is ready to blossom into a new role up the lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The only replacements I’d like to see are through internal promotion - unless there is some equivalent of the Miller trade - where we get a younger guy that is ready to blossom into a new role up the lineup. 

The hi-lites of the Twins last game were a stark reminder of all the changes that Benning has done from that group 2 1/2 years ago. Wow. It looked like 2/3's of that roster are gone. If nothing else this year has shown that the biggest need on the current roster is on the d-side. Regular games with +35 shots on goal will mean a quick exit from playoffs this year if they make it. The Canucks making playoffs is what I expect. I do not expect them to go much further than the 1st round. Anything more is a huge bonus. Playoffs this year is all about exposure and development. Perhaps weaknesses will become more obvious. Maybe a player or two establish themselves more. 

Totally agree with you, use the org depth. Trading players off the current roster by the TDL would be a huge move especially if it is for draft picks or prospects. We know JB likely wants to move some vets since the CAP and UFA status will be an issue. 

• Like 2