The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, 7th overall in league scoring as a rookie D and within a point or two of several players. Another player to watch though is rw Bailey - Hattie tonight second Hattie in his last three games - now 19g 11a 30 pts in 39 games. 6’4” 210 or so and an amazing skater - the fastest player in Utica.

And Bailey is 24 also, a few months younger than Rafferty.

Played 52 games with the Buffalo Sabres (2015-2018) and 11 with Philly in 2018-19.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a shot with the Canucks at some point.

58 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Time to give him a shot. If he belongs we should look into moving Stecher or tanev 

Probably about zero chance he can fill in for Tanev. Very few NHL defensemen play D as well as he does so an AHL player with no experience in the NHL probably won't.

Could consider moving Stecher maybe.  

Edit: but again...the Canucks will want proven NHL D for the playoffs if they make it.  If they don't, maybe Stecher does get moved or else in the summer.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gaudette Celly said:

It's not a zero-sum game, or that a player is either offensive or defensive to the exclusion of the other.  Hughes plays D very well, he's not "purely offensive."  It's more about getting good matches that work well together.  You could have 6 offensively-talented defencemen and still have a solid defense overall.

That describes a two-way D. Hughes is a PMD through and through. He should not be used in any match up/defensive role. It would be utilizing him incorrectly. If you're gonna have an offensive pairing they should be mainly utilized offensively or they can get taken advantage of away from the puck. Checking top end players isn't easy.

I would never ever put Hughes out on a PK. You have others for that. Players that are capable of being a great even-strength, PK and PP defenseman are, in all actuality, true Norris caliber defenseman. That doesn't really describe Hughes but Hughes will likely be better than the majority of defenseman offensively. Top notch in that regard. Might get him Norris talks in his career. He won't ever be as good as the Weber's, Doughty's, Hedman, Carlson's when it comes to a two-way/overall game or even shut down guys like Muzzin and Vlasic defensively but his offensive game will put him in the top of that type of category as a defenseman.

People can say that having the puck on his stick makes him better defensively but it is really defined on how you're utilized and how you're with and without the puck. On this team he is the best with the puck but in certain situations and circumstances I would put out others because they're better suited for it.

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That describes a two-way D. Hughes is a PMD through and through. He should not be used in any match up/defensive role. It would be utilizing him incorrectly. If you're gonna have an offensive pairing they should be mainly utilized offensively or they can get taken advantage of away from the puck. Checking top end players isn't easy.

I would never ever put Hughes out on a PK. You have others for that. Players that are capable of being a great even-strength, PK and PP defenseman are, in all actuality, true Norris caliber defenseman. That doesn't really describe Hughes but Hughes will likely be better than the majority of defenseman offensively. Top notch in that regard. Might get him Norris talks in his career. He won't ever be as good as the Weber's, Doughty's, Hedman, Carlson's when it comes to a two-way/overall game or even shut down guys like Muzzin and Vlasic defensively but his offensive game will put him in the top of that type of category as a defenseman.

People can say that having the puck on his stick makes him better defensively but it is really defined on how you're utilized and how you're with and without the puck. On this team he is the best with the puck but in certain situations and circumstances I would put out others because they're better suited for it.

Hughes is tied for 10th in league scoring for defencemen, as a rookie.  He's already there.  But you KNOW that "he won't ever be as good as X, Y, Z..." with such certainty after just 51 games in the NHL?

Recently an article was posted on how Hughes is actually producing as a "shut-down" dman already, best on the Canucks.  He may not play the PK but he knows how to defend and is very effective at it.  He's already a two-way defenceman and only just turned 20.  He's not Jordan Subban, the kid knows how to play.  Not wise to underestimate him in any way, imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He has some catching up to do and I hadn't noticed this before but in 30 games this year he has the same stats as in 18 games last year.

Yeah but with skill like that.. i'd say it's worth waiting for an it's not a bad thing in a way as we'll need every cap penny we can get our hands on soon as we still need to sign Petey and we're still stuck with both Lou's on the hook but in 2 yrs OJ won't be commanding huge dollars without having established himself yet as a top 4 D and that hardly happens overnight usually.. 

And whoa that Rafferty last goal? Nice!

Edited by iceman64

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Time to give him a shot. If he belongs we should look into moving Stecher or tanev 

I've heard speculation on CDC that Stecher is in the same boat next year as Hutton was last year.  That is, due to be paid more than the Canucks are willing to pay.  He's at $2.325M and is an RFA with arbitration rights at the end of this season.  I'm not so sure he's getting the ice time that Hutton was and I think he's a better player.

Rafferty has a funny contract.  His ELC was for last year only.  He's currently on a 2-year contract, this year is a 2-way and next is a 1-way so I suppose that Benning was willing to bet that he'd be in the NHL next season at the latest.

3 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Hughes is tied for 10th in league scoring for defencemen, as a rookie.  He's already there.  But you KNOW that "he won't ever be as good as X, Y, Z..." with such certainty after just 51 games in the NHL?

Recently an article was posted on how Hughes is actually producing as a "shut-down" dman already, best on the Canucks.  He may not play the PK but he knows how to defend and is very effective at it.  He's already a two-way defenceman and only just turned 20.  He's not Jordan Subban, the kid knows how to play.  Not wise to underestimate him in any way, imo.

Kid knows how to play for sure but he is not the be all end all as people here describe him to be. He's top notch at what he does but he isn't top notch at everything. There are better players better suited in different situations. It is simply just how it is. I never did state he was at all like Jordan Subban. Not saying he is awful defensively but I am not gonna say he is great either. I just don't think he is without faults unlike most people here. I state that with the belief that he is a top notch puck-moving defenseman. Better than most in the league in that regard and will probably be a real point-producer.

I just think that there are a lot of other players who are more effective in other aspects of the game and better suited for certain situations and that those players always have a place on our team. Guys like Edler and Tanev who'd I throw out in a second over Hughes if we were trying to defend a lead late in a game.

That's just how I see it.

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

P.S. your JD Burke quote is hilarious, but amazing, guys like that think they know much.. good grief.. as if it's all about scoring goals.. (twit) 

Like this team doesn't need a top 6 forward with grit as well as scoring and leads by example, and fit in exactly when and where we need him to be and can make Petey's line or Bo's line all that more lethal.. He was exactly what we needed and is only 26 with a reasonable cap hit and will be here when we make our most serious push for a cup in 2 yrs.. man JB nailed it... 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I've heard speculation on CDC that Stecher is in the same boat next year as Hutton was last year.  That is, due to be paid more than the Canucks are willing to pay.  He's at $2.325M and is an RFA with arbitration rights at the end of this season.  I'm not so sure he's getting the ice time that Hutton was and I think he's a better player.

Rafferty has a funny contract.  His ELC was for last year only.  He's currently on a 2-year contract, this year is a 2-way and next is a 1-way so I suppose that Benning was willing to bet that he'd be in the NHL next season at the latest.

I think it would be wise to lock him (Brogan) in at a 3 year 6 mil contract. His floor is at least a 6 d-man which would in turn replace Stech but if he turns out to be better than a 6 D (which I am 99% sure is the case) then we're laughing.

With that being said I do love Richmond Troy and his heart.

• Wat 1

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, 7th overall in league scoring as a rookie D and within a point or two of several players. Another player to watch though is rw Bailey - Hattie tonight second Hattie in his last three games - now 19g 11a 30 pts in 39 games. 6’4” 210 or so and an amazing skater - the fastest player in Utica.

Bailey might be one of the fastest players in the AHL. 

14 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Does anyone know if Rafferty will be considered a rookie still next year? He’ll be 25. Couldn’t remember if it’s 25 or 26 when they become ineligible.

Im going to try and pick him in my Fantasy pool next year and we have to 1 rookie slotted on d at all times

image.jpeg.7d530ae1e306f3e6e8195063a19e4559.jpeg
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

“He’s real good with the puck and plays with a lot of poise,” said Benning. “He’s got a good shot from the point, but he needs to keep working on pivots when he goes back to get the puck. He’s getting better, but players in the NHL are fast.

“And he needs to shore up the defensive side a little bit, but we’re real happy with his development.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-contending-canucks-could-make-gm-benning-buyer-not-seller-at-trade-deadline

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:
image.jpeg.7d530ae1e306f3e6e8195063a19e4559.jpeg
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept.

Another Canuck rookie in the running next year if Rafferty can stay with the big club.

Nice.  The Canucks have had quite a run with rookies competing for the Calder for the past few years.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Another Canuck rookie in the running next year if Rafferty can stay with the big club.

Nice.  The Canucks have had quite a run with rookies competing for the Calder for that past few years.

It’s the best. I remember years of wishing for a good rookie. Hoping for guys like Fedorov, Shirokov, King, etc! 

This franchise has been so exciting the last couple years with more to come

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Listening to TSN 1040 they mentioned that Derrick Pouliot has in 36 game 6 + 24 = 30 pts which maybe puts thing in perspective, mind you for those that put any weight in it his +/- is  -17 where as Rafferty is a respectable +17 and 6 + 31. Pouliot was a bit of a liability in his won end then and apparently that's still the case

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Listening to TSN 1040 they mentioned that Derrick Pouliot has in 36 game 6 + 24 = 30 pts which maybe puts thing in perspective, mind you for those that put any weight in it his +/- is  -17 where as Rafferty is a respectable +17 and 6 + 31. Pouliot was a bit of a liability in his won end then and apparently that's still the case

I think the biggest difference between the two players is in their commitment to improve on their deficiencies. Derrick at age 26 never seemed able to do that and while the jury is still out on Rafferty who is only 24; he seems to be getting better by the month. Time will tell if he continues to progress to the point that he can transition into a full time NHL'er.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Pouliot has the hockey IQ of a peanut.  That’s why to put up points he’s terrible defensively.  Rafferty’s best quality is his IQ.  His point production does not come at the cost of defensive responsibility.  Rafferty is also,  dry likely, committed to being fit and eating right, and resting properly.  Pouliot never committed to being a full time pro.  

I went for the flashy lure again!  :picard:

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

While I’m not the hugest on plus minus, I do think what does matter is plus minus above or below the team average.  That way we take out the how good a team is factor.  Pouliot has the second worst plus minus on his team meaning he is one of the worst liabilities on his team while Rafferty is tied for the best plus minus on his team with the Comets which means he’s one of the most reliable if not the most reliable player on his team.  So I have a feeling he will be a lot less of a Pouliot and a lot more like a Stecher.  Stecher always is one of if not the best plus minus players on the Canucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

While I’m not the hugest on plus minus, I do think what does matter is plus minus above or below the team average.  That way we take out the how good a team is factor.  Pouliot has the second worst plus minus on his team meaning he is one of the worst liabilities on his team while Rafferty is tied for the best plus minus on his team with the Comets which means he’s one of the most reliable if not the most reliable player on his team.  So I have a feeling he will be a lot less of a Pouliot and a lot more like a Stecher.  Stecher always is one of if not the best plus minus players on the Canucks.

It’s shaping up like Rafferty is going to be a much bigger, more offensively gifted replacement for Stecher.  It’s kind of only a matter of when and no longer if it happens.