The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 & SN 650: What station do you prefer?

Rate this topic

dpn1

1040 or 650?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TSN 1260 in the Edmonton region isn't that bad. Even if it's all Oilers all the time. None of the hosts are 'sports entertainment' guys. They are critical but not hardcore downers. It's refreshing to not have them be so negatively driven. In fact on Fridays on my way home from work, the hosts at that time promote a Positive Friday atmosphere. It's rather refreshing compared to all the years of constant negativity on the Vancouver air waves. Jason Strudwick is a co-host at that time too and he's better than almost everyone on 1040.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RonMexico said:

TSN 1260 in the Edmonton region isn't that bad. Even if it's all Oilers all the time. None of the hosts are 'sports entertainment' guys. They are critical but not hardcore downers. It's refreshing to not have them be so negatively driven. In fact on Fridays on my way home from work, the hosts at that time promote a Positive Friday atmosphere. It's rather refreshing compared to all the years of constant negativity on the Vancouver air waves. Jason Strudwick is a co-host at that time too and he's better than almost everyone on 1040.

Strudwick? The guy that was all for Matheson's gutless choke slam on a 19 year old rookie? I'll pass.

My problem with Vancouver sports radio, 1040 in particular (because that's what I listen to most) is that everything is "the sky is falling" but I guess half the fan base does that too. I have always said they don't know how to react to a rebuilding team. Their analysis after every game is always as if they were supposed to win every game, even if were not a great team. They should be talking about the nuances of each game and individual performances and assessing those things. I don't know if they can't do those things because they never played high level hockey. Brough in particular said before the season that he thought we had a 35% chance of making the playoffs, now he's freaking out that were not in a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I tune to 650 when Sekeras and Price are on. I cant stand those 2 idiots.

Only tune into 1040 when its Donnie and Moj.

Thats funny I am opposite.  I can't stand Donny and Moj but will flip back over for Sekeras and Price, but thats probably because I can't stand Walker on 650 at all.

My list for Vancouver Sports radio that I like to listen to...

Halford/Brough

Scotty

Shah

The rest can go into a blender after those 3 shows.  Just bummed out they put Shah with Walker after the recent shakeup.

1 minute ago, AussieHorvatFan said:

Now I am from Australia and limited to the coverage I can get, so I listen to SN650 podcast and the 1040 post game, but what is Walker's deal? He seems like an absolute moron

I listen to both stations too.  1040 for the morning show.  650 for Scotty Rintoul’s show.  Then back to 1040 for the afternoon/evening show.  I cannot stand the 650 guys in the morning and Walker in the afternoon/evening.  

22 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I tune to 650 when Sekeras and Price are on. I cant stand those 2 idiots.

Only tune into 1040 when its Donnie and Moj.

I preferred Donnie and the Moj when they were apart.  They’re the only TSN guys I don’t listen to.  If Scotty took their place I’d be tuned in to 1040 all day.  1040 has Dhaliwal now too.  

On 12/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Tyndall2 said:

If you are hosting a Sports Talk Show talk about sports.  No one cares about movies, celebrities, food reviews and so on.  Stick to sports issues and cut the 'other' stuff.

Jim Rome had arguably the most popular sports talk show in North America for a time and his show was a mixed bag. There is only so much Canuck related topics you can talk about for 13 hours of being on the radio. 

On 12/18/2019 at 3:41 PM, Tyndall2 said:

If you are hosting a Sports Talk Show talk about sports.  No one cares about movies, celebrities, food reviews and so on.  Stick to sports issues and cut the 'other' stuff.

That sounds like the most boring show ever. It's analysis paralysis. 

17 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jim Rome had arguably the most popular sports talk show in North America for a time and his show was a mixed bag. There is only so much Canuck related topics you can talk about for 13 hours of being on the radio. 

There are other sports than hockey and even other teams in the NHL as well as other leagues of hockey.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

There are other sports than hockey and even other teams in the NHL as well as other leagues of hockey.

I listen to 1040 daily and they do their fair share of talking other sports and other teams in the NHL. Not sure what you are getting at. 

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

I listen to 1040 daily and they do their fair share of talking other sports and other teams in the NHL. Not sure what you are getting at. 

And they also spend large amounts of time talking about bars, Moj's eating habits and on and on.

I'd rather that time be spent discussing sports.

9 hours ago, Pickly said:

I don’t know, it depends what your looking for. They will talk maybe 5 min of NBA (Raptors) a week, they virtually talk zero about baseball. 

They talk very little about teams other than the Seahawks in the NFL, but they will talk a fair amount about them. 

As for the NHL they do talk about the headlines around the league. 

I pretty much only listen to hear about the Canucks, so that’s what I’m mainly hoping to hear. I will get my other sports talk from different podcasts who are more knowledgeable.

I absolutely hate once they get off topic and start talking about music and movies, that is what makes Donnie & Moj (Donnie in particular) mostly intolerable to me. 

I find threads like this interesting in that it proves how everyone has such a different take on why and who they like listening to, and for what reason.

First off, I love that we have two stations, that mostly talk Canucks.  I can switch over if one is insisting on droning on about college basketball or college football in some southern American cities. Or golf. Is there any other sport that is more useless to talk about on radio? 

But I find I veer more to 1040.  They just seem more polished, have better guest pundits on. And they have more fun.  I actually like their goofball behaviour sprinkle in with talking sports. Although it can go too far some days.

I really don't like anyone on 650 other than Rintoul. I hate they have him now on directly opposite of Halford and Brough from 9am to 10am.  Because I like listening to the Kurtenbloggers. Again, they are kinda goofy.  But I like that kind of presentation of sports because its how me and my friends might act talking sports. We can go off on tangents, get in arguments, make jokes about players, all that good stuff.  Although I do like Rintoul's more serious breakdowns.

I can't listen all day to either station. But I find I have 1040 on more often. Even if, and probably because, they are more entertaining. Its even fun listening to Rick Daliwal bumble through his fill in segments. Fresh from 650 where he played a punching bag. Which I admit was fun to listen to.