The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Apr. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sure. I just don't want it to become an NHL is out to get Vancouver thread, as I've seen instances throughout the league that have been questionable. I'd be interested in knowing what type of internal disciplinary mechanism there is in place for officials who make questionable calls, game in and game out. Are they held to a standard, and not given games when they come under review?

Actually I would want it a conspiracy against Canucks thread.

Then I wouldn't have to go thru all these conspiracy posts in gdt and pgt 

Best to let the tin foil hat people all go to one thread and express their anger while the rest of us don't need to go to that thread and read about it. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's nothing new, in fact, I'd say there's less bias now than there ever has been.

Well, in a profession where one has to be completely unbiased in how they see and call a game, I can't see how that's okay. Human error, fair enough.

That being said, I think due to the fact that a lot of officials have retired, there has been a pretty steady influx of new officials coming into the league, which is part of the reason for less. Hopefully a good sign for the future.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Best to let the tin foil hat people all go to one thread and express their anger while the rest of us don't need to go to that thread and read about it. 

Nah. I like that the GDTs and PGTs are a potpourri of insanity.

Look at the huge missed pass interference call in the NFL NFC Saints vs Rams game. That missed call is probably the biggest in years.

Refs make mistakes in every sport. It's part of life. 

We have video review in many cases and it's the best it's ever been. 

Maybe is another 20 years AI will take over and help the refs.

Even then some people will claim AI is biased.

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Thought the thread I started in early Oct(Beware 2 Rulebooks) sorta fit your description. It's filled w/consp-theorists & noisy contrarians!

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thought the thread I started in early Oct(Beware 2 Rulebooks) sorta fit your description. It's filled w/consp-theorists & noisy contrarians!

Thanks. I won't be going to that thread tho.  Get more than i need as it is in gdt and pgt lol

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who said they didn't and who said anything about length of service?  All I'm saying is the whining about substandard officiating is moot because they the best in the world, if you don't think they are, where would they find better officials?

They don't necessarily need to find better officials.  They just need to enforce better standards.  Consistency is all that truly matters such that a standard could be established.  That alone would eliminate many opportunities for bias.  Understandably, missed calls during a game that happens as quickly as hockey is expected... but given the advancement of video replays, there should be no reason for such blatant inconsistencies with video reviews. 

The first goal by Nashville is a perfect example.  How many times have we witnessed goals being disallowed due to "intent to blow the whistle" being the standard for a disallowed goal?  Yet the Nashville goal calls it that the puck is in a continuous motion going into the net even though the whistle had clearly been blown (didn't even need the intent of blowing the whistle). 

Standards and Consistency >>>>> "better officials"

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why is hockey so much tougher than officiating any other sport?

I have watched many Junior games with better officiating. I have watched European games with better officiating. Players come over here and wonder why the rules change as the season progresses. I have seen the NHL try to even games up in the score department. I have watched teams that could not kill a penalty to save their lives play a game 7 to go to the Stanley cup final and you guessed it no penalties where called. I have seen a team turn a series from 3-1 with physical play to even it up and force a game 7 only to have 3 penalties called in the first 10 minutes of a game 7 scf. I watched Edmonton and Dallas series when Edmonton upset the Dallas stars and beat the officiating also. The same series the year before had more bogus calls than WWF wrestling. I have watched goalies throw the stick and goals not counted as well as goals scored that should not count. The one common denominator I have found is more often than not a Canadian hockey team is on the wrong side of the decision. Its not just against the Canucks. Calgary has a beef that they could have beat Tampa if the officiating was fair. The Canucks have a beef about the phantom Aaron rome suspension. And the NHL could pull that off with a interm league policing department.  So anyone saying the league has it out for the Canucks is WRONG. They have it out for all Canadian NHL clubs. They are just getting better at pitting the fans against each other that it goes widely un noticed.

So its tougher because they have a game management mandate that sometimes doesn't fit the game!

Here's where the problem lies for me:

The officials rolled out the rule book and reminded us of a subtle change made before the 2014-15 season: Even if the referee blows his whistle, if the puck is found by video review to have still been in continuous motion and crossed the goal-line, a goal would be awarded even if the whistle had been blown.

The Predators’ first goal was a product of this: Markstrom appeared to have frozen the puck, the whistle went and then the puck rolled into the net.

Sissons was the Pred who got the shot off that Markstrom appeared to have stopped and got credit with the goal, his 14th of the season.

Once that whistle blows, the goaltender obviously lets up....so how's that fair?  Who's to say that Marky didn't shift enough to allow the puck to roll in BECAUSE the play had been stopped?

No biggie, but he deserved better.

17 hours ago, Stelar said:

I’m not saying she isn’t a “real” fan (how stupid does that sound).  I am saying she is very judgy about others level of fandom.  

Maybe she’s a breath of fresh air and calls it how she’s sees it.  If your going to say something “stupid” expect some judgement.   Nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

They don't necessarily need to find better officials.  They just need to enforce better standards.  Consistency is all that truly matters such that a standard could be established.  That alone would eliminate many opportunities for bias.  Understandably, missed calls during a game that happens as quickly as hockey is expected... but given the advancement of video replays, there should be no reason for such blatant inconsistencies with video reviews. 

The first goal by Nashville is a perfect example.  How many times have we witnessed goals being disallowed due to "intent to blow the whistle" being the standard for a disallowed goal?  Yet the Nashville goal calls it that the puck is in a continuous motion going into the net even though the whistle had clearly been blown (didn't even need the intent of blowing the whistle). 

Standards and Consistency >>>>> "better officials"

I'm flabbergasted that it's as consistent as it is.  There's 70ish officials in the league, each one a unique personality, as each game is a unique game

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm flabbergasted that it's as consistent as it is.  There's 70ish officials in the league, each one a unique personality, as each game is a unique game

Each one should have learned the same rulebook - there's one.  So your "personality" shouldn't really be a factor.   You see something, you address it.  You don't (and shouldn't) have to rely on anything but knowledge and what you witness.     Making it "personal" isn't supposed to be part of it.

55 minutes ago, xereau said:

WIsh I was joking but I can see sports officiating, particularly where speed and accuracy is important, ie, Hockey, becoming one of the very first commercial industries to have AI running the show.

Let's hope so.  Another option is to have the games reffed centrally by officials watching on multiple screens.  Eliminates any personal grudge or response to comments on the ice and should lead to more consistency. 

Late to the PGT but despite the bizarre goals against and some damn fine non-officiating, I thought we got what we deserved in the third.  There were numerous times where we had all five players just standing outside the Preds zone waiting for them to break out.  A completely defensive trap period with no attempt to generate any meaningful offense.  Crap to watch and obviously not effective.  I would rather lose watching our guys trying to play a 200' hockey game than that kind of garbage defense.  

24 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Late to the PGT but despite the bizarre goals against and some damn fine non-officiating, I thought we got what we deserved in the third.  There were numerous times where we had all five players just standing outside the Preds zone waiting for them to break out.  A completely defensive trap period with no attempt to generate any meaningful offense.  Crap to watch and obviously not effective.  I would rather lose watching our guys trying to play a 200' hockey game than that kind of garbage defense.  

It’s more fun to watch no doubt.  I think next season we will start to see what this teams core is made of and things will organically change quite a bit.  If our PP gets sorted out we can afford more of a run and gun style like Crow used in the WCE era, you draw more penalties when your rushing with the puck.  Not sure we are there quite yet but another summer in the gym is just the medicine ours youth needs.  

Also to change things up, add/subtract some help on defense too.  Benning says he’s going to address it with nothing specifically said...which leads to a lot of speculation.  I for one think he’s up to something and our opening day roster won’t look the same on defense as the one we finished with this season.  EK, Myers, Gardiner might all be smarter investments than Edler, we have a lot of depth on the left side, might be time to shake it up and cut off some of the injury prone vets (Tanev, Sutter, Edler) add a quality vet on the right side and let the youth take over.   Would lead to some better hockey in the long run. 

Archived