The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Ya just saw this . Not suprising he is looking into his opportunities.  Would LOVE to have him here.  

Is EK a guy who desires the spotlight?  Just from the way he keeps his hair, He looks like he thrives on it to me.  Maybe, after playing in complete obscurity in a US market, he misses the famous person factor he gets up here? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is EK a guy who desires the spotlight?  Just from the way he keeps his hair, He looks like he thrives on it to me.  Maybe, after playing in complete obscurity in a US market, he misses the famous person factor he gets up here? 

There are tons of reasons he may want to play here . I think he likes being " the guy" 4 sure . 

• Upvote 1

I've quietly thought for some time that we're going to sign EK.

It's probably the WRONG move to make for this franchise longterm, but it will be fun for a few years.

The big fish we really need is Panarin (I would pay this guy longterm at 11+ tbh), but we won't be able to do both.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Those talks may have ended. We have no idea what is happening behind the scenes. 

Kurz covers the Sharks and just 2 days ago was reporting that they are continuing to work at a potential 88M extension.  In any case why would the Sharks allow other teams to get a head start - what is there to gain for them.  No other team is allowing their UFAs to already explore free agency.  

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Maybe hes talking to players..

Not sure why you got puzzle faced for this? Could easily be visiting and chatting with the Swedish mafia in town. He's played with Edler, Marky and the twins, buddied up with Petey at the AS game and was already quoted as saying he likes the city...

• Cheers 2

From Friedman's 31 thoughts of today:

6. Alright, let’s get to some news: We are getting close to clarity on Erik Karlsson and San Jose. The Sharks have worked this hard. It is believed they’ve made him an offer that will challenge, if not surpass, Drew Doughty’s extension from last summer. Three weeks ago, I thought Karlsson was going back east for family reasons and a travel schedule that’s easier on the body. San Jose needs a decision, conversations have intensified, and I think they’ve got a shot.

Just now, Trebreh said:

Karlsson liked our new jerseys and has decided he will take his talents to Vancouver.

SJS is apparently offering him some 88M.  On a 7 year deal that's close to 12.6M.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rekker said:

Rumour is San Jose just offered EK 11 million per for 8 years. Yikes. If that's true I hope we dont try to match. Even at the max 7 years for us. Too much, too long. 

Holy F#@%. if EK doesn't take that he's crazy. Someone else would need to offer $12M to compete.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

At that price they can keep him. 

They may not keep him for that long, but they sure will be keeping that contract!!!

Hard pass from me......guy’s only got 1.5 ankles and he’s a hothead....too many times caught on tv screaming at his teammates on the bench.

• Upvote 1