The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

8 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Not that I like Sekeres, but didn't he break the news about Linden leaving? He seems to have a source for info, or maybe I'm wrong here?

You are correct. I am not one to post stuff willy nilly unless I feel I can trust the source. Sekeres does not break much Canucks news, but when he does it is almost always correct. 

• Cheers 1

If they trade Tanev, and lose Edler, whose going to play defense?  Zaitsev is a downgrade on both of these players, and I don't see how we can pick up a better dman in a trade for Tanev unless we add something substantial, or take back a bad contract.

Trading Tanev for picks won't help improve the D.  

I think the best option that they have is taking back a bad contract from a team against the cap, but that could backfire as well.

Hopefully, Trader Jim can pull off some magic here.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If all we can get is a 2nd and 3rd for Tanev its better to keep him and pair him with Hughes or Juolevi for sheltering. 

I agree, but only if they sign a rhd to play above him in the lineup

20 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Tanev's trade value hasn't been this low since he was an undrafted free agent.... We should have traded him 2 years ago when it was sky high, or just keep him and hope his value increases to what it once was and he can be a serviceable shutdown guy for us.

This is where trading Tanev for Zaitsev (plus other parts as necessary) can make sense.  Don't worry about trying to see if you can get Tanev's value to increase, see if you can get a younger and less injury prone Zaitsev's value to increase.

4 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

If they trade Tanev, and lose Edler, whose going to play defense?  Zaitsev is a downgrade on both of these players, and I don't see how we can pick up a better dman in a trade for Tanev unless we add something substantial, or take back a bad contract.

I think the best option that they have is taking back a bad contract from a team against the cap, but that could backfire as well.

they need to sign at least one rhd if they keep Tanev, two if they trade him.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Another thing that makes me skeptical about this rumour,

Whats changed now since the trade deadline that Tanev is willing to waive his NTC when he wasn’t then? Saying Tanev is available is literally the most vague thing anyone can say. It’s not really groundbreaking nor does it mean much.

Tanev doesn't have a full NTC. He only has an 8-team no-trade list. Pretty easy to work with.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Per Matt Sekeres on TSN1040: https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/1141353570958102535?s=20

Thoughts and opinions?

Good!!! Love Tanman, but he's better off as a number 3 who doesn't have to do it all, will stay healthier on a better puck posession team, he's not part of the long term here and can really help a contender. Given what Braun went for we hopefully should get a mid to late first for him

4 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Whats changed now since the trade deadline that Tanev is willing to waive his NTC when he wasn’t then? Saying Tanev is available is literally the most vague thing anyone can say. It’s not really groundbreaking nor does it mean much.

He has a limited NTC with 8 teams that he will not go to. Otherwise, there are plenty of teams he can be traded to. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, but only if they sign a rhd to play above him in the lineup

I just can't see that this year, sounds like Myers is going to command a ridiculous payday so hopefully thats not us. Maybe Stralman and Tanev could be our 1/2 on the right side. 

6 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

If they are shopping Tanev, JB is likely confident Edler gets done. The issue with Eddie was likely the NTC, given its been said he's opened that issue up (willingness to waive for Seattle), then its just money and Aquaman has always shown a willingness to spend if his GM asks for it. Tanev moving for a mid to late first rounder is needed, and given Braun went for a 2nd and 3rd, he should get that. Sign Meyers, have Tryamkin coming back next year who can play the right side, Hughes can also play right. Plus never know how Woo shows in camp. We're good..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

There have been reports that Edler has become more reasonable and might yet be signed, so that might be why they are now shopping Tanev.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

There was never a rumour that Tanev was not willing to "waive" and he doesn't have a full NTC he can only list 8 teams he doesn't want to be traded to.