Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If he came over here, he would be getting the same minimal minutes treatment and maybe AHL time 

Nope, too young for AHL.   If here, it would be NHL or Junior.   The guy is still junior eligible NEXT season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The KHL is an odd league.   It isn't about talent sometimes but given he is 18 and given he is on a VERY stacked KHL team, the fact he sees ANY ice is almost historic.   The minutes are actually extremely high for an 18 year old teen.   He is on a team that has a couple other 19 year olds too and it appears that there is an ice time pecking order for sure.   Again, watch the games.   He is a very good player at that level.   I would argue that KHL is just a step behind the AHL.   Imagine an 18 year old in the AHL for a minute.   Think about how Kole LInd did in his first season as a 20 year old and now how good as 21 year old.....now put Kole in there as an 18 year old and do you think he would have much ice time?   Great stats?   

 

From what I can see, this kid can already skate at NHL level and has the size too boot - plus an attitude you cannot teach.   

 

I don't think being harsher is unfair at all - I just think that you should watch him more.  You can get KHL feeds pretty easily.   See if the eye test changes.   I will assume you watched WJC?  I was there and he was outstanding.

I would suspect most khl and shl teams would handle ahl teams 7 or 8 times out of 10

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

I would suspect most khl and shl teams would handle ahl teams 7 or 8 times out of 10

Don't agree at all.   Cream of the crop of the AHL would compete very well against both KHL and probably mop the floor with SHL.   While the KHL is almost universally cited as the "second best league in the world", people who have played in both would say AHL is right there.   Both are ahead of SHL.  

 

Do some comparisons where you can.  A guy like Steve Moses plays in the KHL and is a point-per-game player and has 36 goals. He plays in the AHL and he has 16 points in 29 games.    Lots of similar examples.  On the whole,  yes, an average KHL team would likely beat an average AHL team but I think if you took the cream from both it would be very close. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope, too young for AHL.   If here, it would be NHL or Junior.   The guy is still junior eligible NEXT season.

They didn't draft him from junior, so I think he could play in the AHL. But it's way nicer to have the minor league team in the same city like SKA does than to have it on the other side of the continent like the Canucks do. I think his present situation is working fine for his development. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't agree at all.   Cream of the crop of the AHL would compete very well against both KHL and probably mop the floor with SHL.   While the KHL is almost universally cited as the "second best league in the world", people who have played in both would say AHL is right there.   Both are ahead of SHL.  

 

Do some comparisons where you can.  A guy like Steve Moses plays in the KHL and is a point-per-game player and has 36 goals. He plays in the AHL and he has 16 points in 29 games.    Lots of similar examples.  On the whole,  yes, an average KHL team would likely beat an average AHL team but I think if you took the cream from both it would be very close. 

This brings up a very interesting thought.  A round robin tournament involving the all-star teams from the top leagues outside the NHL.  If an all-star game is too difficult to arrange then the Championship teams from each league.  They can play IIHF rules but on an NHL rink:

Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) / Swedish Elite League (SEL) SM-liiga / Czech Extraliga (Tipsport Extraliga)American Hockey League (AHL)

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

This brings up a very interesting thought.  A round robin tournament involving the all-star teams from the top leagues outside the NHL.  If an all-star game is too difficult to arrange then the Championship teams from each league.  They can play IIHF rules but on an NHL rink:

Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) / Swedish Elite League (SEL) SM-liiga / Czech Extraliga (Tipsport Extraliga)American Hockey League (AHL)

And the worst NHL team for comparison

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope, too young for AHL.   If here, it would be NHL or Junior.   The guy is still junior eligible NEXT season.

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

They didn't draft him from junior, so I think he could play in the AHL. But it's way nicer to have the minor league team in the same city like SKA does than to have it on the other side of the continent like the Canucks do. I think his present situation is working fine for his development. 

Yup, not drafted out of the CHL, so no first rights to junior. He's 18 so he meets the minimum age requirement for the AHL.

 

Having said that, he could go to junior if he was drafted by a CHL team, iirc. They do that export/international draft for players even if they aren't coming over just in case. There's probably an avenue for a player who wasn't still to play in junior though.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

It's almost like they are trying to develop him!!??

 

:ph34r:

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

My not khl ready is based on his mins. If hes playing so well, why hasn't he not had any game over 12 mins? Also why has he been sent down to the Vhl and even the Mhl. 

 

I admit I'm a tad of a stat watcher and eye test kind of guy (no advanced stats for me). Hes looked okay and his stats are atrocious this year and last. Combine that with his coach giving him microscopic mins has me a little worried. 

 

This is all in context to a 11th overall pick too though. I tend to be harsher on prospects selected with higher picks. On a side note I'm much more impressed with hoglander. 

Oh Thank God!!

 

Since Pods was a 10th overall pick, your view has nothing to do with him!!

 

:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope, too young for AHL.   If here, it would be NHL or Junior.   The guy is still junior eligible NEXT season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or in case someone else hasn't asked.

 

To my knowledge, due to his never playing in NA he would be AHL eligible.  Is that not still accurate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, or in case someone else hasn't asked.

 

To my knowledge, due to his never playing in NA he would be AHL eligible.  Is that not still accurate?

I think it only matters if a CHL team has his rights or not.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I think it only matters if a CHL team has his rights or not.

That was my understanding.  Someone smarter than me will shine some light on that I'm sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The KHL is an odd league.   It isn't about talent sometimes but given he is 18 and given he is on a VERY stacked KHL team, the fact he sees ANY ice is almost historic.   The minutes are actually extremely high for an 18 year old teen.   He is on a team that has a couple other 19 year olds too and it appears that there is an ice time pecking order for sure.   Again, watch the games.   He is a very good player at that level.   I would argue that KHL is just a step behind the AHL.   Imagine an 18 year old in the AHL for a minute.   Think about how Kole LInd did in his first season as a 20 year old and now how good as 21 year old.....now put Kole in there as an 18 year old and do you think he would have much ice time?   Great stats?   

 

From what I can see, this kid can already skate at NHL level and has the size too boot - plus an attitude you cannot teach.   

 

I don't think being harsher is unfair at all - I just think that you should watch him more.  You can get KHL feeds pretty easily.   See if the eye test changes.   I will assume you watched WJC?  I was there and he was outstanding.

I can't argue which league is better but based on NHL point projections I think KHL has a lead over the AHL? Also is it true that KHL standards for awarding assists are much more strict than NHL? I recall people saying that Podkolzin should probably have had one or two assists as well if awarded the same as the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think it only matters if a CHL team has his rights or not.

I thought this might be of help in this discussion: As copied from Wikipedia site.

Inherent risk assessment

The Import Draft has inherent risks that teams must assess, before making a draft pick which costs $2,000 up front.[5] Drafted players may not report, therefore teams want to be certain a player will.[4] Potential draftees have often been previously chosen in the NHL Entry Draft, and thus have an incentive to report to a CHL team because NHL teams want prospects closer for development.[4] Also, there is more exposure to scouts in North America for imports not drafted by an NHL team.[4] Competition with the KHL Junior Draft for the same player is also an obstacle.[6] Imported players usually prefer playing in the CHL instead of the United States Hockey League, due to the higher level of competition.[7]

Most CHL teams have contacted few players in advance of the draft.[8] Scouting these players is difficult as most teams do not employ European scouts, but rather rely on videos and limited exposure at international tournaments.[9] Players may also have professional contracts in European domestic leagues.[8] The current system can be compared to an auction, where teams are bidding for services in competition with these other leagues, and have to pay large release fees.[10]

Once an import draftee reports to a CHL team, there is also risk involved in whether the player adapts to being far away from home, the ability to speak English or French, playing on smaller ice surfaces, and the more physical North American game.[9] There is a year-long moratorium on trading the pick, once in the CHL, which is to prevent bidding for services by larger market clubs. [10] One benefit of selecting an import player before he is drafted into the NHL, is that he is treated like a North American player in the sense that he will either have to play in the CHL or NHL, and not in the American Hockey League.[11]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, or in case someone else hasn't asked.

 

To my knowledge, due to his never playing in NA he would be AHL eligible.  Is that not still accurate?

Apparently that is true.   Wasn't a thing in my day.  Nice tweak for the flexibility of the NHL owner of said kids.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TGokou said:

I can't argue which league is better but based on NHL point projections I think KHL has a lead over the AHL? Also is it true that KHL standards for awarding assists are much more strict than NHL? I recall people saying that Podkolzin should probably have had one or two assists as well if awarded the same as the NHL.

Yup, that is true....KHL typically does have a higher point projection BUT players that have played in both seem to score more in KHL for some reason... go figure.   Point is, there is a lot of parity between the two leagues and both are above SHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an article on Podkolzin and the KHL's treatment/development of players heading to the NHL by Carol Schram. 

 

It is HockeyBuzz but I find she does a fairly decent job covering the Canucks.  

 

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Schram/Canucks-fans-must-be-patient-with-Vasili-Podkolzin-whos-starting-to-score/194/103862

  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.