The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Looks like a bigger version of Tyler Motte out there ok the PK. :lol:

He has one hell of a motor. I see him being a real favorite of Green (if he is still around in a year). The guy doesn't quit, is willing to get his hands dirty on either side of the ice and play physical throughout. 

I have no idea how quickly he will be able to adapt to the NHL game, but having a player who can play strong 5 on 5 as well as special teams is going to make him a really versatile addition. And if we hit on Hoglander too? Two more potential top 6 contributers on ELC not only gives us an embarassment of forward talent, but should help ease the cap crunch.

Pearson needs to watch his back. I feel he is the odd man out as we move forward.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:04 AM, SilentSam said:

Daniel Gee (@DanielGScouting) Tweeted:
#Canucks Vasily Podkolzin played more games between the 6th-8th. This video looks at sample of his penalty killing. Something you will notice is his aggressiveness + pressure he applies on puck carriers. He had some outstanding time killing sequences. 
Powered by @InStatHockey https://t.co/H3vU6BrOH9

https://twitter.com/DanielGScouting/status/1292845663890345984?s=20

Just gonna repost this because the vid didn’t seem to embed.

Really good video that breaks down the pros and cons of Podkolzin’ game, especially with regards to his skating.

@DanielG correctly notes the inefficiencies and mechanical issues.

Good thing is, these are all correctable.

Better thing is, even with the issues, Podkolzin still plays with a tonne of pace, is regularly one of the fastest players on the ice, and has a relentless motor.

I can only imagine this kid after he does some skating specific work and irons out some of those inefficiencies. The amount of power, agility, and acceleration he could gain is significant, and he wouldn’t have to work as hard as he does now.

Thing is, Pod would keep working just as hard, only with more efficient skating, he’d become even more of a beast than he already is. 

EDIT: oops, wrong tweet, lol

Gonna leave the post alone, as I stand by the points I made.

Here’s the tweet @SilentSam posted:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just gonna repost this because the vid didn’t seem to embed.

Really good video that breaks down the pros and cons of Podkolzin’ game, especially with regards to his skating.

@DanielG correctly notes the inefficiencies and mechanical issues.

Good thing is, these are all correctable.

Better thing is, even with the issues, Podkolzin still plays with a tonne of pace, is regularly one of the fastest players on the ice, and has a relentless motor.

I can only imagine this kid after he does some skating specific work and irons out some of those inefficiencies. The amount of power, agility, and acceleration he could gain is significant, and he wouldn’t have to work as hard as he does now.

Thing is, Pod would keep working just as hard, only with more efficient skating, he’d become even more of a beast than he already is. 

EDIT: oops, wrong tweet, lol

Gonna leave the post alone, as I stand by the points I made.

Here’s the tweet @SilentSam posted:

Thank you..    I beleive Oodz has been getting a ton of ice and is looking amazing..  and I think he is available to us after his KHL season as his Entry / Qualifying offer?? 

36 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. 2020-21 is the last year on his KHL deal. Guaranteed he’s coming after. He looks ready.

Would love to see him start out on the 3rd line with Gaudette. Eventually he’ll work his way into the top six, but I could see him and Gauds forming an effective duo, along with whoever ends up on the other wing. 

Between his pace, motor, possession drive, retrieval, forecheck and backcheck, very underrated playmaking, offensive instincts, and willingness to go to the net, he just has so much game shifting ability to inject into any line. With Gaudette, there’s plenty of offensive pop, and lots of effort and drive, but the defensive reliability hasn’t been there. I could see Podkolzin changing that quickly, and making the 3rd line very trustworthy, while also a legit scoring threat.

He will also bring an extra enthusiastic energy to an already young, but experienced core..  it is eXXXciting !

Edited by SilentSam

I wonder if Podz is seeing any game hilites?  If so, he must be drooling at the opportunity coming his way.  Same with Tram -  he does follow the team, so I expect he has at least viewed the abbreviated versions that are online 

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

KHL is starting their season on time. With a delay in starting next NHL season, we could get Podkolzin to join us half way through the season, it will be a good addition.

I'm excited to see this kid live.

I just hope he lives up to the hype.

Very soon, our right side is going to be over filled and decisions will have to be made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, komodo0921 said:

I'm excited to see this kid live.

I just hope he lives up to the hype.

Very soon, our right side is going to be over filled and decisions will have to be made.

Boeser, Podkolzin, Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind.

Thank you Jim Benning for the total overhaul on the right side.  It could be one of the best in the NHL in a couple years.  We just need to work the left side a little more and we are good to go...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1