The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Perhaps, but some on here had a stroke when Vanek was traded for Motte and not a 6th round pick.  Some seem to value a small collection of 5th and 6th round picks over organizational depth.

Contextually, you realize the difference between a first rounder and a 6th, in regards to those making fake claims about the community, correct? 

I suspect you agree, so consider the question as rhetorical. 

Further context is needed to recall that back when many, many of us dummies from Tank Nation were cheering on the deep-diving re-thingy, the entire premise of the strategy involved actual rebuilding of the org at all levels, so of course value was placed on any and all draft picks... because Master Drafter Benning was considered a Demi God when it came to Drafting, so of course people were engaged in hope for more super-selections in each draft. 

Of course picks were valued and TDLs scrutinized during these re-thingys. 

Of course posters were advocating for draft picks. The GM was supposedly some kind of Drafting Wizard, after all. 

When Aquaman’s chequebook became Benning’s re-thingy’s way out of the prospect-gap left by the prospects who immediately made the jump, the surprising end to a rebuild phase caught many fans and media people off guard, which is where I presume many of the shocked comments initially came from. 

We saw a rebuilding roster switch gears and head straight into production with a cap team built around NMC and substantial depth player contracts.

Of course there was skepticism with the Miller trade, resulting in comments about picks, etc. Most people didn’t see the several fancy UFA signings coming when they first expressed their surprise, pessimism or curiosity on here regarding the Miller trade. Many posters here also seem completely unaware of any player not on the roster anyways, so how much surprise would that be to us anyways, really? 

If you combine the fully endorsed rebuild hopes and demands, partly personified by the moniker Tank Nation, of the fanbase and also those talking heads out there with the surprise trade for Miller after all that time in the league basement and that unsuccessful stockpiling of extra draft picks for the God of Drafting, I don’t think you need a hill to see where the sentiment behind the “must get picks” crowd’s preconceived posts prior to those many UFA signings came from.

This might be a long-winded version of a summary of why comments like I called fake news exist, but hopefully I’ve articulated something comprehendible in there with regards to the Miller trade’s surprising departure for Team Tank as many of us didn’t see JB changing gears on his re-thingy, mid-build, or whatever you want to call it.

I didn’t mind the strategy change, personally, but I get why complaints exist about a lack of picks, for the Draft God. 

What I thought was silly, was the claim that our community was clamouring for late first rounders, as was stated, as some kind of gold mine strategy. That was a facetious misrepresentation of those who wanted JB to acquire picks during the rebuild, IMO. Hence these posts. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hey! Me too!

:lol:

I was ecstatic and attempting to pull people of the ledge from the second the trade was announced. EXACTLY the piece the team needed and a relative bargain in trade cost.

Cheers!. Sorry I forgot. I only went back re read a few posts around June 27th when I made the post I quoted.

I fixed it...lol :metal:

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

AGREED!!

There cannot be 2 humans on this Earth with WORKING brains that keep to the same stupid theory lol.

What stupid theory? The fact that this trade when it was made was not larceny and a fair trade? Funny how you still have responded to the articles I posted and just blatantly ignored them and then started bashing me without quoting me to avoid me. You are a coward.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The dude doesn't know what he's talking about.

Look at my signature for more "impeachable" offences - term borrowed from @oldnews

Really cause I seem to recall the article this year that confirmed exactly what I said. There was no way Pettersson was was 177 last year. Funny how often I am right. 

10 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Really cause I seem to recall the article this year that confirmed exactly what I said. There was no way Pettersson was was 177 last year. Funny how often I am right. 

You're not right lmfao.

"People who eat and drink a ton to lie to themselves and others about their weight" is more than enough to prove your ignorance. Nothing else you say matters, right or not. 

Funny how more than one person thinks you say dumb things...

14 hours ago, coryberg said:

How about Vey for a 2nd? It was bloody murder around here. 6 years and 10 nhl games later for Mckeown... pretty hush hush.

Derek Roy for a 2nd at the deadline was one of the biggest outrages ever.... 7 years later that 2nd round pick has never played an nhl game.

That 1st we traded for Ballard takes the cake though. 97 games and 17 points of 4th line minutes before heading to the KHL for the past 5 years.

They (FLA) got Brett Quinton Howden out of that though. He was a bust.

I distinctly remember CDC clamoring for the Canucks to pick him at that spot too.

Edited by Dazzle
Quinton Howden - not Brett, thx to Rypien

21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You're not right lmfao.

"People who eat and drink a ton to lie to themselves and others about their weight" is more than enough to prove your ignorance. Nothing else you say matters, right or not. 

Funny how more than one person thinks you say dumb things...

You just can't handle the fact I was right, lmao.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You just can't handle the fact I was right, lmao.

Nah. The whole reason why you're still in my sig is because you said something really stupid. Are you really that obtuse? Don't answer that - it's a rhetorical question.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Nah. The whole reason why you're still in my sig is because you said something really stupid. Are you really that obtuse? Don't answer that - it's a rhetorical question.

Yea, so stupid that turned out to be right, right? lmao. 

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

They (FLA) got Brett Howden out of that though. He was a bust.

I distinctly remember CDC clamoring for the Canucks to pick him at that spot too.

Brett Howden is currently only 21 and playing well with the Rangers. You are thinking of his older brother Quinton, who had a cup of coffee in the NHL and has played in the KHL the past few years. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Brett Howden is currently only 21 and playing well with the Rangers. You are thinking of his older brother Quinton, who had a cup of coffee in the NHL and has played in the KHL the past few years. 

Ah, yes. Quinton Howden. You're absolutely correct. My mistake on confusing the two.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, coryberg said:

How about Vey for a 2nd? It was bloody murder around here. 6 years and 10 nhl games later for Mckeown... pretty hush hush.

Derek Roy for a 2nd at the deadline was one of the biggest outrages ever.... 7 years later that 2nd round pick has never played an nhl game.

That 1st we traded for Ballard takes the cake though. 97 games and 17 points of 4th line minutes before heading to the KHL for the past 5 years.

that may be true, but "we" woulda picked all the outliers.

• 2 weeks later...

It continues to bug me that this trade was considered a cap dump and a force trade for Tampa. They needed to clear space for sure. But they had several options to do so. Killorn and Gorde come to mind. They had other options as well thay elude me at the moment. I wasn't big on the trade at first but I will give JB the Captain Morgan clap on this one. Well done JB and pro scouts that thought JT would fit in as he has.They were bang on.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

It continues to bug me that this trade was considered a cap dump and a force trade for Tampa. They needed to clear space for sure. But they had several options to do so. Killorn and Gorde come to mind. They had other options as well thay elude me at the moment. I wasn't big on the trade at first but I will give JB the Captain Morgan clap on this one. Well done JB and pro scouts that thought JT would fit in as he has.They were bang on.

Killorn has a full NTC. Gourde signed an extension with a full NTC during that season. Neither were legitimate options.

Tampa very much had to trade Miller. But he's a good player, so I'm sure they had multiple teams trying to trade for him. Canucks just offered the most.