The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

34 minutes ago, khay said:

Just out of curiosity, why did he drop out of 1st round if he is skilled like Gaudreau and stronger?

I would imagine size had a lot to do it with. Gaudreau was drafted in the 4th round after all. 

I would also say he didn't get as much exposure as others, like Cole Caufield, who many projected to go within the top 10. Even he was drafted 15th.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, khay said:

Just out of curiosity, why did he drop out of 1st round if he is skilled like Gaudreau and stronger?

Size, I don’t think his IQ is as high and while his defensive awareness and effort seems good you see some questionable decision making(fly bys etc).

I am no expert at all!  Don’t wanna get reamed out by CDC, just playing the game.

By the way, you can check out https://prospectshifts.com/.  It’s only 5 dollars a month but tons of great content including hoglander.  I hope it’s not against the rules but I am not affiliated

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, gttxc said:

Size, I don’t think his IQ is as high and while his defensive awareness and effort seems good you see some questionable decision making(fly bys etc).

I am no expert at all!  Don’t wanna get reamed out by CDC, just playing the game.

By the way, you can check out https://prospectshifts.com/.  It’s only 5 dollars a month but tons of great content including hoglander.  I hope it’s not against the rules but I am not affiliated

It's a tough comparison between an 18yr old player against a 25yr elite NHL vet. 

Although they do have some similar skills (puck handling, soft hands and speed), they have more differing skill.  They are similar in height, but Hogs has 20lbs on Gaudreau.

Until now, I hadn't seen a comparison between these two players, but I have seen Hogs game compared to Gallagher with a much better scoring upside.  Unlike Gaudreau, Hogs plays an aggressive game and is not afraid to engage in the physical aspects of the game.  He also plays a solid defensive game.  He will put up a lot of points, but probably not at JGs level.

I think this kid will be playing in the NHL in 2-3 yrs; maybe starting on the 3rd line, but will end up in the top 6.

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:40 AM, therodigy said:

I would imagine size had a lot to do it with. Gaudreau was drafted in the 4th round after all. 

I would also say he didn't get as much exposure as others, like Cole Caufield, who many projected to go within the top 10. Even he was drafted 15th.

IMO picks after 15, Its pretty much a crapshoot where teams draft closer to needs rather than talent since the talent pool around that time is quite close. Either way, Hogs drop isn't as drastic as some of the other guys like that Russian guy Kuliev (I dont want to bother to research his name, the guy that the Kings took in the 2nd round) and Lavoie. That would've been something had Lavioie and Hogs were available during our pick, I wonder who would've the Canucks have taken

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

IMO picks after 15, Its pretty much a crapshoot where teams draft closer to needs rather than talent since the talent pool around that time is quite close. Either way, Hogs drop isn't as drastic as some of the other guys like that Russian guy Kuliev (I dont want to bother to research his name, the guy that the Kings took in the 2nd round) and Lavoie. That would've been something had Lavioie and Hogs were available during our pick, I wonder who would've the Canucks have taken

Oh totally. Maybe a drop of 15 picks tops. Hogs isn't the only one that dropped as evidenced by the 2nd round selections of Kaliev, Lavoie, and Vlasic, all slated for the tail end of the first. Definitely a testament to how close picks 15-50 were in potential and skill level. Definitely happy with the Hoglander pick as LW is a position the Canucks lack in their system. Had Kaliev been still available, I can imagine the Canucks snatching him purely on a BPA, making one or two of Virtanen, Lind, McEwan, and Jasek expendable down the line, especially with the inclusion of Podkolzin. Part of the reason why I love the draft. 

Edited by therodigy

In two years: 

Miller - Petey - Boeser 

Hogs - Bo - Podz 

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Baer - Beagle - Leivo

Hughes - Tryamkin 

Edler  - Woo 

Juolevi - Myers 

:towel:

Edited by Guest
am a dum dum that 4got Edler

6 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

In two years: 

Miller - Petey - Boeser 

Hogs - Bo - Podz 

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Baer - Beagle - Leivo

Hughes - Tryamkin 

Edler  - Woo 

Juolevi - Myers 

:towel:

That’s a really good team!  Demko our goalie?  

Just now, Alflives said:

That’s a really good team!  Demko our goalie?  

Whoever performs out of him and Marky, assuming seattle isn’t a jacka$$. I could see a 1A and 1B out of them that year. 

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I wonder if Hogs has his eyes on one of our forward spots. If he lights it up in camp and preseason. 

He won't be at camp this year as his SHL season will have already started. Others have mentioned this already in the thread and I am just stating what they did.

• Thanks 1