The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Zaitzev’s numbers aren’t good. Sure, he has decent enough basic CF%, etc. But that’s because he plays on a good team. Bad players on good teams can have decent looking raw stats. When you look at his team relative stats, it gets a little scarier. He’s basically bottom of the entire Toronto D for everything from shot shares, to scoring chances, to expected goals. He’s also a negative GAR and WAR player (meaning that, statistically speaking, he’s “below replacement” level).

His statistical profile is just not very good. Many would go so far as to say he’s a “negative value” player.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/05/31/should-the-canucks-trade-for-nikita-zaitsev/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/oilonwhyte.com/2019/06/14/avoiding-disaster-nikita-zaitsev/amp/

Never mind the fact he’s 27 years old with a 5 year contract remaining. Zaitsev likely is what he is, at this point, and isn’t getting any better. He’s around a replacement level or 3rd pairing defenseman who’s getting paid second pairing money. And he probably will decline over the next five years.

On a cheap contract, sure, I wouldn’t be completely against the idea of Zaitsev. He’s not all bad. He does an OK job eating some tougher minutes, and possibly provides close to neutral impact relative to deployment, maybe even moves the needle ever so slightly in suppressing goals against. But that’s about I see, in terms of positives.

Once you consider the contract, however, this guy really starts to have the look of a negative value player. That’s just too much term and cap to have tied up in a pretty marginal value player (and that statement is possibly being too kind), especially one whose statistical profile suggests he creates numerous negative team relative on-ice effects.

Yet he is arguably still better than myers. How are myers number in your opinion?

9 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Aquaman never has been a cheap owner he will open his pockets. Up to the managment staff to sign players to contracts worth there respective values. 

6 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Pretty sure any contract that gets signed is because the owner approves of it.

He signs off on large ones like Eriksson's, they've openly admitted that.  There's no "Mr. Aquilini, sir?  Could you please okay this $825K for Alex Biega?"

11 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

They absolutely should be heavily exploring trading one of Markstrom or Demko now. If they feel Marky is their guy they're running with then maybe you hope to god Demko has a great year getting maybe 1/3rd of the games, stays healthy, and you offload him next offseason, but a decision is certainly going to need to be made soon. 

Green said himself at the draft that he would like to see Demko get 25-30 games this season.  I'm not a goalie expert but that should be a reasonable sample size to at least know if it's feasible to consider dealing Marky.  It should also allow the team to showcase Marky some more around the league if their intention is to deal him at TDL perhaps.  If JB's intentions are to make the playoffs this year however, I can't help but think they look at trading Demko instead because undoubtedly Marky is the better goalie right now (based on body of work) if you're trying to make the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets hope its reasonable.... but looking at our right side depth chart is :sick: at the moment  so its probably going to cost. 

I also just don't see a trade market that doesn't involve a young core piece. So I'd rather overpay by 1.5 mil or so vs. losing a Boeser. We're not going to get a 1D with Jake + scraps. 

This argument makes no sense.

You can't justify the atrocious Myers contract by saying the alternative is losing Boeser.

It'd be valid if Myers was that 1D you're talking about, but he's not anything close to that.

You can get a Myers type player for what Philly paid for Braun if you really wanted to (not the same type of player, but would slot in around the same spot on the depth chart).

Edited by kanucks25

I think the overreaction to Ren Lavoie speculating about what Myers contract will look like this morning was funny.

It could be like 6x6 for all we know, lets just wait until the official signing happens before we freak out. lol 

second, the news about us letting Hutton walk... meh, it sucks that we couldn't sign him to a deal, but i agree with management walking away if he is indeed looking for 4.4m. 

we have guys that can hopefully play the bottom 6 LD role in Sautner, Brisebois and even Juolevi for much cheaper. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh god the pink and blue charts have been trotted out. I think this means Myers is a lock to be here. 

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm waiting for the HERO chart to come out to close the deal...

Always amusing when people disregard "charts" (even though they are just facts in picture form) but can provide no evidence against what they claim.

"Watch the game" doesn't really work when the eye-test isn't exactly kind to the player, either. We went through this exact thing with Gudbranson for years.

Really there is no argument for this type of deal other than "Benning did it, so it must be good, and I must defend it."

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think the overreaction to Ren Lavoie speculating about what Myers contract will look like this morning was funny.

It could be like 6x6 for all we know, lets just wait until the official signing happens before we freak out. lol 

second, the news about us letting Hutton walk... meh, it sucks that we couldn't sign him to a deal, but i agree with management walking away if he is indeed looking for 4.4m. 

we have guys that can hopefully play the bottom 6 LD role in Sautner, Brisebois and even Juolevi for much cheaper. 

With my tin foil hat firmly on, I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks were the ones who leaked that 8mil thing to Lavoie just so when they sign him to something a little less (like 6.5mil) it doesn't look so bad (even though it's still awful).

"Well, it could be worse! At least it's not 8 million!"

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Always amusing when people disregard "charts" (even though they are just facts in picture form) but can provide no evidence against what they claim.

"Watch the game" doesn't really work when the eye-test isn't exactly kind to the player, either. We went through this exact thing with Gudbranson for years.

Really there is no argument for this type of deal other than "Benning did it, so it must be good, and I must defend it."

When I read your posts I feel like I am reading hfcanucks where every single thing is doom and gloom and JB is the devil.

Some here prefer not to be negative every single time they post. I prefer to remain optimistic which I suppose is why I like this site and think hfcanucks is a cesspool.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

When I read your posts I feel like I am reading hfcanucks where every single thing is doom and gloom and JB is the devil.

Some here prefer not to be negative every single time they post. I prefer to remain optimistic which I suppose is why I like this site and thing hfcanucks is a cesspool.

Well HFCanucks thinks CDC is a cesspool. So who's right?

Here's the answer: who cares, it doesn't matter.

Why not refuting my argument instead? Or is it not valid because it's "negative" in this case?

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

With my tin foil hat firmly on, I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks were the ones who leaked that 8mil thing to Lavoie just so when they sign him to something a little less (like 6.5mil) it doesn't look so bad (even though it's still awful).

"Well, it could be worse! At least it's not 8 million!"

I like that conspiracy lol 

hey, anything under 7m these days is a good deal :lol:

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Why not refuting my argument instead? Or is it not valid because it's "negative" in this case?

Your constant negativity is tiring. I don't have time for it. I come here to get info on all things Canucks. I won't read your posts anymore because they provide no information that I find useful.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your constant negativity is tiring. I don't have time for it. I come here to get info on all things Canucks. I won't read your posts anymore because they provide no information that I find useful.

Good luck.

Hey, if you can't handle being disagreed with, that's your prerogative. A discussion board would be pretty lame and boring if everyone always agreed on everything.

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

CDC by a country mile. HFBoards are pathetically negative and rarely do I see the conversations people have here, on that online urinal.

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

CDC by a country mile. HFBoards are pathetically negative and rarely do I see the conversations people have here, on that online urinal.

Go read their take on Hutton not being qualified.

Suddenly Hutton, in hf world, is a top 4 defense man that JB is just letting walk away.

Haha...those idiots make me laugh and cry at the same time. :frantic:

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That would be a bold move for Benning to trade Markstrom. One I wouldn't totally be against.

Lets face it Markstrom's value may be the highest it's gonna be right now. We can't wait around until he expansion draft to get something done. If Demko is the future, then he needs to be protected. Does that mean we end up losing Markstrom for nothing?

They arent going to trade Markstrom when they need to make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Go read their take on Hutton not being qualified.

Suddenly Hutton, in hf world, is a top 4 defense man that JB is just letting walk away.

Haha...those idiots make me laugh and cry at the same time. :frantic:

Overall, they're a miserable bunch there.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

can you add some yellow to the pink and blue charts? thats gotta add more facts. 

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, PlanB said:

It should also allow the team to showcase Marky some more around the league if their intention is to deal him at TDL perhaps. 

Problem with waiting until the TDL vs doing it now is that there's a lot less, and lower quality, UFA options to replace him if you move him.