The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

11 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

For those who don't want Myers who are the targets you are thinking that would make us better?  Our D is at the mercy of being the worst we have ever had if we don't make any moves.  Adding Myers gives us stability as long as the cost is reasonable.  I would rather spend some assets to get Ristolainen however if we just sign players like Stralman and Benn we aren't going to move the needle and I can almost guarantee that Edler and Tanev will go down with injury again because they will be overplayed.  I think Myers is our best option to alleviate that, and if there are better options, we should be talking about those.  Doing nothing is not an option.

Well Vancouver should have targeted for Subban then and signed a forward in free agency. 

Maybe Vancouver wouldn't have to give up a 1st

• Haha 2
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Friedman just said he thinks Myers will sign here but NOT for $7M a year

As in for more? Cause it seems we are interested in myers, nyqvist and jordie benn. Not sure how we could afford all 3+ boesers new contract without moving Eriksson 

Edited by Nicklas Bo Hunter
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

As in for more? Cause it seems we are interested in myers, nyqvist and jordie benn. Not sure how we could afford all 3+ boesers new contract without moving Eriksson 

Less

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

You do need backup plans.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Less

Makes sense. That idiot spouting 8 million was on crack.  I wouldn't be surprised at 5 or 6 years at 5.9 million to keep him under Edler.  But who knows.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That’s a good question.

I'd say: 

1) top 2 d are rare, some drafts don't have more than 1. 

2) they're even harder to trade for

But, we now probably have one in Hughes. I think Juolevi has an outside shot at becoming a #2d. Woo and Rathbone have top 4 ceilings and we actually might see one or both of them make an appearance next year. I don't think we're far off. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Pears said:

interesting - I wonder if we're the only team willing to go the full 7 years maybe? Oh well, at least it doesn't come with cap recapture. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Imo, they don't need and should not pursue Barrie next season.  They have Hughes and OJ coming online as offensive type d and Woo as well.  They need size and defensive prowess back there.

And Rathbone who's looking like he'll be a NHL player- they have the offense. Now need to insulate those guys with size and shut down ability

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

And Rathbone who's looking like he'll be a NHL player- they have the offense. Now need to insulate those guys with size and shut down ability

Plus Tryamkin on the way as well.  We will certainly have size and puck moving ability in our D core which has been lacking.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Well Vancouver should have targeted for Subban then and signed a forward in free agency. 

Maybe Vancouver wouldn't have to give up a 1st

they knew Lu's cap recapture was likely coming so maybe thats why they didn't over bid. Myers+Miller or Subban.... its hard to argue definitively that Subban would have the bigger impact on wins. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they knew Lu's cap recapture was likely coming so maybe thats why they didn't over bid. Myers+Miller or Subban.... its hard to argue definitively that Subban would have the bigger impact on wins. 

The guys on 650 today said the Preds wanted Gaudette, and that was what killed any deal with us.  Plus, the Subban 9 million cap hit.  I love watch PK play, and I’m sure he’d have been a fan favourite here, but there is something going on with him that seems to affect the locker room.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd say: 

1) top 2 d are rare, some drafts don't have more than 1. 

2) they're even harder to trade for

But, we now probably have one in Hughes. I think Juolevi has an outside shot at becoming a #2d. Woo and Rathbone have top 4 ceilings and we actually might see one or both of them make an appearance next year. I don't think we're far off. 

I think I’d be okay with 6 #3 guys if that’s what happens.  I think that could work as well to provide balance:

Edler

Myers

Hughes 

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Stecher/Woo/Rathbone

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think I’d be okay with 6 #3 guys if that’s what happens.  I think that could work as well to provide balance:

Edler

Myers

Hughes 

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Stecher/Woo/Rathbone

The great teams we had around 2010 - 2012 didn’t have a true number one.  I think Hughes changes everything.  He’s a guy who will easily play 24 minutes.  I see him as being our top guy.  Travis Green was talking about Hughes, and he said that Wuinn is a very special player.  He said in game one he gave Quinn 14 minutes.  Then in game five he gave Quinn 22 minutes.  He said Quinn is such a great skater, and is so smart he sees him playing big minutes with ease.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guys on 650 today said the Preds wanted Gaudette, and that was what killed any deal with us.  Plus, the Subban 9 million cap hit.  I love watch PK play, and I’m sure he’d have been a fan favourite here, but there is something going on with him that seems to affect the locker room.  

Gaudette for P.K. with $3 million retained (the rumour was the other deals had salary retained)

I do that deal.  Gaudette is probably not really a top 6 guy., so is replaceable.

• Upvote 1