The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone know what the deal with Ferland is? Is he dealing with a concussion from playoffs?

I thought teams would have jumped on him after what we saw in this years playoffs.

i know the Canucks had interest in him last season. I haven’t heard anything about us talking to him though. Wonder if we’re trying to move some salary to try and sign a player like him.

Could just be that he's overrated :shock:

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Baer is a legit 2nd line player. Problem being, he's too frequently been the guy injured in that scenario.

I agree. What I meant was he is too often injured to be relied upon in the top six so if we could acquire another top six he vould be a depth option for the top six.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

20 goal scorer that plays physical and elevates his game in the playoffs.

I would say we could us some of that. Although I wouldn’t mind adding Williams on a short deal instead if we could.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Listening to JB on his last radio broadcast, he didnt sound to me like wanted to trade Tanev at all...He said that one of the reasons they acquired Myers was to take the load off of Tanev..So these rumours are probably manufactured.

Probably?  :lol:  ARE manufactured!!  Just like most things we hear from the local media.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I would say we could us some of that. Although I wouldn’t mind adding Williams on a short deal instead if we could.

We just traded for Miller who is better and more consistent at all of those things.

Ferland is likelier a better pugilist but that's not a big part of today's game and with his concussion history likely isn't a big part of his moving forward either.

Meh.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We hear about overrated guys all the time though.

Where oh where will the great Jake Gardiner wind up? 

So much interest in him, so little in Tyler Myers, right Ray:ph34r:

It is interesting how little has been heard about Ferland.   Maybe he's a guy that is backed into taking a very reasonable contract under the circumstances.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone know what the deal with Ferland is? Is he dealing with a concussion from playoffs?

I thought teams would have jumped on him after what we saw in this years playoffs.

i know the Canucks had interest in him last season. I haven’t heard anything about us talking to him though. Wonder if we’re trying to move some salary to try and sign a player like him.

I think he's just weighing his options at this point, but he's definitely going to get signed at some point.

I remember him having like a crazy start to the season, something like 7 or 8 goals in the month of October, and then injuries plagued him for the rest of the season, probably hindered his chances of getting a significant pay raise.

Edited by Odd.

9 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Considering the Canucks are pushing hard for the playoffs this year, I thought Tanev would be dealt at the deadline so that we don't have to lose any depth on D from the start of the year. If dealt at the deadline (depending on how the team is doing) then his role can be replaced shortly after when Tryamkin comes back at the end of his season in March/April or when Juolevi shows he's ready to step in and help out. Let's see what JB has up his sleeve.

We all know Benning does not trade players at deadline.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree.  If they were able to move Baertschi for a moderate return and use that cap on Ferland it could be interesting.

Likewise, however if they could use Baer's cap to sign Gusev.

A Pearson Horvat Ferland line would be miserable to deal with imo.

The catch with Ferland imo would be whether he'd take a few years of term or is he expecting a handful.   The rumoured 5 or 6 x 6, although that was a while ago, isn't ballpark comfort zone imo, whereas Gusev is apparently wanting 2x4.

1 minute ago, Krzysl said:

We all know Benning does not trade players at deadline.

Are people just blindly hating Benning now cuz this has happened on occasion that a player going to FA the following season couldn’t get traded, for whatever reason? Same thing as literally every team in the league has happen to them every year? Oh. Okay. 

:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Baer is a legit 2nd line player. Problem being, he's too frequently been the guy injured in that scenario.

129 games missed games since the start of the 2015/2016 campaign. if Baertschi was healthy last season, 55+ points wouldn't have been out of the equation.

One more nasty concussion, and I don't think they'll let him play anymore. Poor guy turns 27 this October. I really hope he can manage to stay healthy next season.

Edited by Odd.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

If we lost Tanev, who would work the hard minutes against opposing top lines? We may have improved our d overall but would a combination between Benn and say, Stecher fill that role?  Edler isn't a shutdown guy (despite getting big minutes) and Myers as a shutdown guy is laughable.

I would be willing to part with Tanev as long as we think his defensive assignments can be covered. Perhaps if we did, we could get another guy who can put up points from back there and maybe we come out ahead.

I can definitely see Stecher fill in for Tanev's role at some point, especially if he has another great year like last year.

Tanev, especially with the signing of Myers, should have a decreased role on our backend. I guess the perk with having Myers is that some of the defensive assignments (not all because Myers is deficient defensively) can be allocated to him, giving Tanev much more time off and perhaps decrease the chances of injury. 

Edler/Stecher

Hughes/Myers

Benn/Tanev

If I had to be honest, I don't think we should move Tanev right now. He's worth more to us than he is on the trading market. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This may be the first time I have seen someone on the Canucks board say they would not mind Williams. I know he is 37 years old, is 6'1" 185, and plays RW.

But I did not know he had 53 points last year and in the past five years he has had 53, 51, 48, 52, and 41 points. He has also played at least 80 games in each of those years. Giving him a 1 year deal to play with Bo might be a great idea!!!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

129 games missed games since the start of the 2015/2016 campaign. if Baertschi was healthy last season, 55+ points wouldn't have been out of the equation.

One more nasty concussion, and I don't think they'll let him play anymore. Poor guy turns 27 this October. I really hope he can manage to stay healthy next season.

The thought of him taking one more hard shot, whether body or head, and lying prone on the ice is haunting me. I don't doubt that he is receiving the best medical advice available but it seems someone with his history is taking an extraordinary risk. He's a father now, a responsibility I'm sure he takes seriously, and I assume he plans to have more children and grow a family with his lovely wife. Can't imagine the conflicted feelings he might experience if he was forced to walk away from the game before he was ready but I know it would be a courageous thing to do. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This may be the first time I have seen someone on the Canucks board say they would not mind Williams. I know he is 37 years old, is 6'1" 185, and plays RW.

But I did not know he had 53 points last year and in the past five years he has had 53, 51, 48, 52, and 41 points. He has also played at least 80 games in each of those years. Giving him a 1 year deal to play with Bo might be a great idea!!!

Love the idea of 1 year contract for Williams.  2 time Stanley Cup winner and as clutch as they come.  Having him around our young core could pay huge dividends.  Similar to Sundin with the Sedins and Kesler.  

• Like 1

Trade Tanev and Sutter 

Sign Ferland (2019 Raffi Torres) 

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearsons Horvat Miller 

Leivo Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Motte 

MacEwan 

Edler Stetcher

Hughes Myers 

Fantenberg Benn 
Juolevi Biega 

Edit: In a year or two when Ferlands body is shot Podkolzin will take over on Petterssons line. 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 1