The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we lose out on the first round and dont winning lottery, I think Braden Schneider has got to be our guy. Exactly what this team needs.

It seems weird for them to host the nhl draft lottery prior to the play-in tournament. Theoretically the Canucks could win 1st-3rd overall but still be involved in the play-in tournament which would be strange.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It seems weird for them to host the nhl draft lottery prior to the play-in tournament. Theoretically the Canucks could win 1st-3rd overall but still be involved in the play-in tournament which would be strange.

Apparently they are doing a draft lottery for the 7 teams that are not playing in the qualifying round, and some "placeholders." If a placeholder gets a top 3 pick they will do a second draft lottery for the teams that lost in the play-in. However, theoretically there could be two or even three placeholders, but the odds of that happening are really low. Weird, I know. 

12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah they should just wait and do the lottery as soon as the playoffs end, if there are still playoffs. 

The teams that need help the most continue to be screwed by the lottery, what else is new.

Just glad it's not us for once.

They really need to narrow the lottery to the botton 5-6 teams period, no more of this leapfrog bull$&!#. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The teams that need help the most continue to be screwed by the lottery, what else is new.

Just glad it's not us for once.

They really need to narrow the lottery to the botton 5-6 teams period, no more of this leapfrog bull$&!#. 

Unfortunately that encourages tanking which they are trying to get away from. I do agree that there has to be a better way though. 

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Unfortunately that encourages tanking which they are trying to get away from. I do agree that there has to be a better way though. 

Hmm, true. 

Perhaps something along the line of limiting the lottery to a smaller number of teams while laying out punitive measures for those deemed to be blatantly tanking. The league could keep a closer eye on teams near the bottom during the season. 

5 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Decreasing the chance of winning with the teams with higher points. Easy. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hmm, true. 

Perhaps something along the line of limiting the lottery to a smaller number of teams while laying out punitive measures for those deemed to be blatantly tanking. The league could keep a closer eye on teams near the bottom during the season. 

Bottom 8 teams get lottery with equal odds of winning first pick 12.5%, then a second lottery sliding scale (like we currently have) and remaining 7 teams (8 once Seattle's in) puck in order of winning percentage. Yah?

Edited by Hogs & Podz

12 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I think we should LOSE and imagine getting Laf. We can then trade Boeser for a defencemen :)

You realize that even if we LOSE, we have an 87.5 % chance of NOT getting Laf, right? Being a loser is not nearly as great as you apparently like to believe.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Bottom 8 teams get lottery with equal odds of winning first pick 12.5%, then a second lottery sliding scale (like we currently have) and remaining 7 teams (8 once Seattle's in) puck in order of winning percentage. Yah?

I could live with that tbh. I'm sure there are a number of creative ways they could tweak it, I'm just not keen on the teams who probably need the help more getting leapfrogged by teams in no man's land or just outside the playofff window. 

I really feel for Detroit, they were historically bad and look how they fell. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

You realize that even if we LOSE, we have an 87.5 % of NOT getting Laf, right? Being a loser is not nearly as great as you apparently like to believe.

This 2020 draft has been touted as one of the stronger ones in the last couple years. First overall pick or not getting our pick back in the middle of the 1rst round would be very exciting. Noel Gunler, Connor Zary and Dylan Holloway sign me up! This draft I think could be very exciting for some fallers without a chance to raise their stock.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

This 2020 draft has been touted as one of the stronger ones in the last couple years. First overall pick or not getting our pick back in the middle of the 1rst round would be very exciting. Noel Gunler, Connor Zary and Dylan Holloway sign me up! This draft I think could be very exciting for some fallers without a chance to raise their stock.

Yep, and its not like we are cup contenders so why not get a top 15 pick in this deep draft?

5 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

You do realize that we have a 0% chance of winning the cup. 

Ah, I see the problem here. You really do not understand statistics at all. If you had any knowledge in that area, you would be aware that what you posted here is ignorant nonsense.

While we clearly are not the favourite to win the cup, to say that we have zero chance to win is a statement only a troll or a simpleton would make, since it is patently untrue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1