The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I do agree that adding Barrie and Ceci (and Harpur) is an improvement over say Gardiner and Zaitsev (and Hainsey). But they might be losing both of these guys the following year. So I guess it's a question of if they've improved for this coming season and for long term. Either way though, not sure how Toronto is ahead of us in terms of "improvement".

Barrie is elite talent. We did not add anyone elite. I despise Toronto homer media as much as anyone else here but I just dont see it in this situation. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, milk and honey said:

missing the playoffs for 2years? trading nylander? firing dubas?

I don't know if they would be bad enough to miss the playoffs, but they certainly wouldn't be a balanced team the way things look at the moment. I could see Dubas getting fired though if 1st round exists continue to be the norm.

9 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Barrie is elite talent. We did not add anyone elite. I despise Toronto homer media as much as anyone else here but I just dont see it in this situation. 

So the list is about who added the biggest name? It's not about most improved as the title suggests?

I guess it doesn't surprise me that they find a way to twist it to make Toronto be the top Canadian team.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Tyson Barrie is a pretty nice addition.... one that our team was trying very hard to make. Y'all seem a bit mad.

Derp.  Or woosh.  Not sure which.

So was Tavares - a 'nice addition' -  but still, they got exposed for a serious lack of depth, that has only gotten more serious this summer.

The thing is, you can add one Barrie but if your depth was already lacking, and gets gutted.....folks can fluff and puff away all they want, but the Leafs have a lot of work to do this summer if they want to 'improve' on what they were last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I do agree that adding Barrie and Ceci (and Harpur) is an improvement over say Gardiner and Zaitsev (and Hainsey). But they might be losing both of these guys the following year. So I guess it's a question of if they've improved for this coming season and for long term. Either way though, not sure how Toronto is ahead of us in terms of "improvement".

Barrie and particularly Ceci - playing with that weakened forward group, particularly their bottom six.....

a good chance that Ceci gets the Zaitsev treatment in Toronto next year (ie the scapegoat that's blamed for all that team's defensive deficiencies) - now that Zaitsev is gone (and Hainsey, who played the next hardest minutes on that blueline) - who gets to play the hard minutes?   Ceci can rest assured that he has the newcomers Jason Spezza, Ken Agostino, Nic Petan et al to bail him out.

Edited by oldnews

I feel like these things are posted simply to drive traffic.

Drive traffic from pro-leafers, and drive traffic from "they said WHAT??!?" people who live in reality.

Considering Rogers and Bell have a financial stake in whether the Leafs do well / get coverage, it makes sense that they want to drive traffic in that direction.

Unfortunately, their exclusion of all other teams during that constant coverage means nobody cares what they think, and they're apparently bleeding money as a result.

I'm sobbing for them. I really, really am. So hard.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You kind of missed a key caveat in the article:

"This is not an order of strength heading into 2019-20"

That said, still an awful take. If anything they've got worse and when you analyze their transactions in a vacuum, they are average at best.

In: Barrie, Kerfoot, Ceci, Spezza

Out: Gardiner, Kadri, Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev, 1st

I love how they are selling Ceci as a gain.  He is awful.  Spezza has 16 goals and 50 points in his last 160 games.  Barrie is better offensively than Gardiner, but even worse defensively.  Kerfoot is solid.

Last season they were competing with the Bruins an Lightning, now they are closer to the Habs and Sabres.  They had no first this year, no first next year, no cap space, and 2 of their 3 best D are UFA's after the season.  Dubas has had a tough offseason, yet TSN will celebrate it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

They've lost Zaitsev and Gardiner and gained 1 year of Barrie

They've lost Kadri and gained Kerfoot with Marner still not signed yet.

It doesn't seem that much better. and if Barrie leaves next summer, it seems like their D overall is worse and the Tavares-Matthews-Nylander-Marner quadrafecta is still stupid expensive

Hainsey too. Their already baaaaaad D is now microwaved swiss cheese.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Canucks add 7 players for under $16 million meh

Leafs lose key players and add more on rental terms while not clearing much salary or retaining Marner and...yay?

You keep doing you TSN

Terrible

Sodding

Nobodies

Trading marleau and a 1st round pick for a 6th round pick is not improving the team.  They added Barrie, but they last Gardiner, who was a member of their top 2 the last 2 seasons.   They seem to think Barrie has no issues when he also has weaknesses of his own. They lost a top 6 centre, kerfoot, was a warm, body in the line up.  No grit not much offence no size and not much speed either.  

Ceci is not even that good.   

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that trade also made them even softer to play against tho. There isn't a single intimidating player on that team. Not one. 

but I hear Spezza is working out real hard this summer with GSP.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that one doesn't get old. 

Gauthier has had 3 fights since 2013 so I guess the leafs have that on their side. 

Shannahan was a tough player, on tough (successful) teams.  I don’t get what he’s allowing to happen? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Shannahan was a tough player, on tough (successful) teams.  I don’t get what he’s allowing to happen? 

maybe outside of lotto luck he's not all that great an exec. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Derp.  Or woosh.  Not sure which.

So was Tavares - a 'nice addition' -  but still, they got exposed for a serious lack of depth, that has only gotten more serious this summer.

The thing is, you can add one Barrie but if your depth was already lacking, and gets gutted.....folks can fluff and puff away all they want, but the Leafs have a lot of work to do this summer if they want to 'improve' on what they were last year.

Or maybe you are just a bitter Canucks homer who will take any opportunity to take a jab at the Leafs / TSN. Something tells me they will be just fine next year with Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly, and Barrie as their foundational skaters. Problem for them is there are a lot of very talented teams out there. I personally have no problem with the article. I can't pinpoint 1 other Canadian team who improved more. Quantity does not supplant Quality. Barrie on the leafs > Myers, Ferly, and Miller on the Canucks... who I would agree were the team who improved the next most

• Like 1
  • Wat 5