The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Sens @ Nucks Sept 25 2019 - 2 minutes for cross checking edition -

Rate this topic

xereau

While hockey should stay a contact sport, concussions should be avoided and the nhl should engage much more in this. What about giving the teams a 2 minus point penalty to start the season for every concussion causing to an opponent in a preseason game?

• Haha 1

I don’t like that enforcers turned into goons - there is still a place in the game for them.   Not sure they will ever be back, hockey has changed, and guys no longer know that they can fight their way into the show and then learn to play the game, it’s literally being ruled out of the junior levels (too much fighting).  Concussion suits did that.

SO IF the DoPs is to successfully police the game with the rule book - maybe it’s time they took a more radical approach.   That is for certain plays like the one on BB, the guy that commits the crime gets automatically suspended for the length of time his victim is injured for.  Only do this for certain plays.   Ugh.  Ok that wouldn’t work either as it would further pansificate the sport.   Just bring back the enforcer.  There are still a few around start with those and play him as the 13th forward and on the fourth line.  Ferland is the closest thing to it we have now and it’s better then nothing - I just hope he knows what side his bread is buttered on and won’t look away when things like this happen.  I suppose we will find out in the rematch ...but he can’t do it all either - Horvat, JV, Beagle, Miller, Benn and the entire team needs to buy in.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I still can't believe Green called that a hockey play. Maybe he doesn't want to come across as a whiner to the NHL, but at least back your star players

How will the Canucks respond? 

With no pushback, it's like the players are OK with getting run over.

i want more GIF

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I still can't believe Green called that a hockey play. Maybe he doesn't want to come across as a whiner to the NHL, but at least back your star players

How will the Canucks respond? 

with this kind of meek, turn the other cheek philosophy they will never win a damn thing (2011 should be enough of a reminder of this), it’s stupid. I want to see blood after a bs garbage hit like that, there is no excuse for it, that hit should not have happened. I guarantee there’s be a suspension if it was Matthews or Bergeron who were hit like that and injured. 

Jake really needs to show up today. Make some big hits, engage in some scrums, show the team you Care. I’m not expecting him to be a top 6 player anymore, but if he gets his head straight he can be a damn good third liner. Dude needs to show some emotion when he’s out there, ala Sam Bennett 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don’t like that enforcers turned into goons - there is still a place in the game for them.   Not sure they will ever be back, hockey has changed, and guys no longer know that they can fight their way into the show and then learn to play the game, it’s literally being ruled out of the junior levels (too much fighting).  Concussion suits did that.

SO IF the DoPs is to successfully police the game with the rule book - maybe it’s time they took a more radical approach.   That is for certain plays like the one on BB, the guy that commits the crime gets automatically suspended for the length of time his victim is injured for.  Only do this for certain plays.   Ugh.  Ok that wouldn’t work either as it would further pansificate the sport.   Just bring back the enforcer.  There are still a few around start with those and play him as the 13th forward and on the fourth line.  Ferland is the closest thing to it we have now and it’s better then nothing - I just hope he knows what side his bread is buttered on and won’t look away when things like this happen.  I suppose we will find out in the rematch ...but he can’t do it all either - Horvat, JV, Beagle, Miller, Benn and the entire team needs to buy in.   

goons never actually prevented much and during the height of the enforcer era, hockey was also probably at it's dirtiest.

• Upvote 2