The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 09, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

47 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Myers has impressed so far in 3 games.

Stats show Canucks are a much better team when he's on the ice thru fort three games..

Long season ahead but so far so good.

But what about all those advanced stats that suggest he's only a 3rd pairing dman?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Watching these games, it's clear just how talented that team was. Most of those highlights involved the Canucks having possession, and any actual opposition would be stopped by Luo. It's also funny to watch the Sedins and Burrows. The Sedins would sometimes over pass, yet they would still score.

that 5th goal by henrik.. such a beauty 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Wauh, what a game....Positives... Many of them... 8 at least...

Bo, Captain my captain

Marky strong,

Quinn immense 

Miller 4 pointsome

3 goal from D

Sutter real good 

4th line good

PK 100%

If this is what's to come for the rest of the season, sign me up already.... Super show...

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Quick had a horrible game .680 sv%

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Markstrom was a beast tonight, great positioning, good game overall.

As James Bond (spook007) says, it was a great game for Canuck fans. At lot of reasons to sigh in relief. Here is my list.

1. Not a big surprise, but it was a relief to see Bo finally named Captain. I can understand why the Canucks would wait until the home opener of the 50th anniversary season, but it still seems like it has been a long time coming. And it was a relief to see him finally get a point late in the game.

2. Big relief to see Hughes get his first NHL goal. Hughes was great, According to CorisiCa, he was the team leader in expected goals at 5-on-5 and he was also great on the PP.

3. Big relief to see the team get its first PP goal of the season.

4. BIg relief to see EP get his first goal of the season.

5. Big relief to see Miller play well. I am feeling better about giving up a first round pick.

6. Big relief to see Gaudette get his first point of the season (and get a lot of chances, like in preseason.)

We were all expecting these things. Nice to see them happen tonight.

And there were some positive surprises.

7. Who was the guy wearing Sutter's number? Whoever he was, he looked fast and offensively creative--and picked up 3 points. Playing him on a line with Gaudette as center worked surprisingly well.

8. And who was the guy wearing Tanev's number who scored a nice goal on a great feed from Hughes?

And some other good things:

9. Marky played well again. So did Pearson (despite taking a bad and unnecessary penalty while on the PK). I also liked Myers. And Edler was a rock on the PK again, as well as scoring a goal (although Quick makes that save at least 19 times out of 20 when he is on his game).

But it was not all rainbows and ponies.  

1. The Canucks deserved the win, but 8 goals is misleading, Quick had a terrible game -- one of his worst in the NHL -- and the Canucks got two very lucky goals. Admittedly the Canucks also had a crossbar (Boeser) and a post (Virtanen) but still, a game like tonight normally produces maybe 3 or 4 goals, not 8. Too bad we could not have had one of the lucky bounces against Edmonton instead when we really needed a bounce.

2. Some the players are still not looking 100%. Ferland was at fault on the first LA goal and he just does not look good out there. Also, Boeser got a nice assist on Tanev's goal, but he seemed to miss a lot of shots-- high, wide, blocked, and he just ended up with 1 SOG despite a lot of opportunities. And that SOG was into the goalie in a situation where I expected him to bury the puck in the corner.  Still, the fact that he was getting chances is positive. Still not sold on Leivo, although he got  a nice goal late.

3. By the way, although the Kings outshot the Canucks by a big margin, a lot of that was due to the "chasing team" taking a lot of shots and some of it was due to more PP time. In terms of expected goals at 5-on-5, the Canucks had small lead. So full credit to the Canucks for the win but with equal luck and equal goalies, it is probably a close game. And LA was tired after just playing in Calgary, and on the road.

But, overall, this game was a good foundation as a home opener.

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Only 4 players didn't get a point. Schaller Beagle Myers Benn 

All other Canucks got at least one point. 

Waive all these guys. Baertschi would've gotten a point tonight and we waive him over those guys? Terrible management.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

But what about all those advanced stats that suggest he's only a 3rd pairing dman?

has something to do with your D partner too and line as a whole...  if you play with a bad line your stats will drop just by being out there and not personally responsible for a goal against.. and theres more to it still...  not that simple

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

thinking he was referring to "working tomorrow"  lol   I cud be wrong tho

Drinks were pouring tonight, waking up @ 6 AM will be tough haha, but I don’t care we won. Can’t wait too finally talk some smack, living in Calgary, imagine my pain!

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

Great game. The nah nah nah goodbye chant brought back some good memories. You lose 10 lbs when you are sick, you’re pretty damn sick, giving Ferland a few more games before I get worried. Boeser, late camp, right into concussion protocol, the family issues on top, he’s getting a pass from me right now.

• Upvote 3