The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks assign Adam Gaudette to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm glad he is going down, he can play a big role for Utica,  instead of sitting in the press box.

I think he is NHL quality, but we seem to have better for once.

It will benefit his all around fame, he isn't going to pout, he's a driven kid with a pro attitude.

He'll be back when the inevitable injuries happen.

4 hours ago, lmm said:

Hey Lois,

the team is winning and the PK is tops in the league, (or close to it)

Who are you going to remove from the line up to give Gaudette a chance?

Did you notice the first 4 games went like this:

Sutter 3C  Gaudette Press box

Gaud 3C Sutter 3W

Gaud 3C Sutter 3W

Gaud 3C - Sutter 4W

I am thinking after that 4th game Mr Big Balls goes to the coach and says "put me back at 3C and I'll show you I belong" Or something like that.

Which he has. 

That is preasure from below, and it worked great for lighting a fire under Sutter.

I gave you a laughing face (or whatever that stuff is called) not laughing at you, but because of "Mr Big Balls".

This theory, or fable, or whatever it is, is also interesting, imo.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Well it started a few pages back when Theo made a comment about utica. My sarcasmeter flared.

Then aGent gloated about being a broken record prognosticating upcoming depth and asking rhetorically "who?"

So, "who" from Utica currently on the team are Jake Jacob and Thatch   

Meanwhile we have depth because Jim signed Schaller, Beagel, Myers, Ferland, Fanta, Benn and traded for Pearson, Leivo, Miller and Motte.

These moves have pushed Goldy, Baer, Gaud and possibly soon Ericksson down into depth positions.

My points

1 aGent is blowing hard. Or is that blow harding?

2 Our depth is filtering down not up

3 Naming a bunch of picks is gunjumping because I am still waiting for White, Schroeder, Shrinkwrap, Rahimi and Ellington to show up.

I'm starting to agree with you, somewhat reluctantly, as you might know, but you gained another laughing face, again not at you, but for, well, "Shrinkwrap", for example, and your continued fine humour.

Your point of the depth filtering down from JB's trades and FA signings is pretty good, imo.

But "gunjumping' and "blow harding"?

That's GOLD Jerry, GOLD!

Leivo and Schaller are UFA's at the end of the season. 

Gaud will be an RFA, and they'll re-sign him. He will get his chances this year, or at worst case next year. 

It's also great insurance, as the season goes on with the wear and tear. 

If they could just get a buyer for Loui. Lol. 

I don’t know if anyone has said this yet, I also don’t think we called anybody else up when we sent Gaudette down. My thinking is everybody on the NHL team is healthy right now, meaning Gaudette wouldn’t be playing tomorrow against Washington, so their deciding to send him down to play 2 games in the AHL Friday and Saturday, then call him back up on Sunday (the Canucks don’t play again until Monday)

I could be way off but because I didn’t see them call anybody up, this is what they could be thinking. 

Edited by TheRealistOptimist

13 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

This times 1000.

Gaudette needs to play and he needs top line minutes.  Let him, Baertschi, Juolevi, and Goldobin tear up Utica.

One thing to be weary of if they're dominating the AHL is to not become complacent and take the foot off the pedal in terms of growth. IMO, Gaudette isn't going to Utica simply to light the league up offensively. He needs to work on his defensive game and be almost a shut down center and needs to get lots of faceoff reps. If he wants to supplant Sutter sooner than later, this is the part of the game he needs to work on. A lot of players dominate the AHL offensively, but cannot translate it to the NHL (see Goldobin), but by learning those key roles, he will at least find a spot in the bottom 6.

It'll be nice and all to see him be a PPG guy, but the offensive drive isn't where I'm concerned for him to take the next level. I'd like to see him being put in the tough assignments against top lines and on the PK and even if it doesn't help his point totals and may make his +/- look bad to start, this is the learning curve to B-line back into the NHL IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I don’t know if anyone has said this yet, I also don’t think we called anybody else up when we sent Gaudette down. My thinking is everybody on the NHL team is healthy right now, meaning Gaudette wouldn’t be playing tomorrow against Washington, so their deciding to send him down to play 2 games in the AHL Friday and Saturday, then call him back up on Sunday (the Canucks don’t play again until Monday)

I could be way off but because I didn’t see them call anybody up, this is what they could be thinking. 

It's very possible and I did mention that I thought it was more of a "conditioning stint". Maybe we are taking a page out of the KHL with Podkolzin's development where he gets bounced around leagues to get him minutes and reps while still learning from the top club. Obviously not quite to this extent as all of Podkolzin's teams in each league are relatively close together to make for easy travel, but this could be an option. Roussel may also be closer than we think to returning.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

IMO Benning was true to his word. Gaudette deserved to make the team out of training camp and they made room for him. What couldn’t be foreseen is just how our Bottom 6 would perform this season. The chemistry/results of this current lineup is undeniable. 

Ferland-Sutter-Leivo/Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

When healthy this is probably one of the best performing Bottom 6’s we’ve ever had. Tough to possibly disrupt that chemistry by inserting Gaudette into the lineup when we are currently performing so well, which is why we have seen Gaudette in the press box the last few games. Much better for Gaudette’s development to get some big minutes in Utica and then be first call up once the inevitable injuries hit.

Let’s also keep in mind that in the couple weeks that Gaudette was on the big club he would have made the equivalent of his entire AHL salary. Another way the Canucks have shown appreciation for a player that earned it. I’m sure Adam appreciates this and understands the business side of the game and holds no ill will toward the organization.

He’s a high character kid. He’ll go to Utica and perform at a high level and be back with the big club when the need arises. The sky is not falling here folks. This is the reality of the deep lineup we currently have. This is a good thing. 

Beauty post. +1. But when Roussel comes back? Now that's looking pretty dangerous.. looking forward to it! 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Do u remember who was on that team?

Some decent depth guys, Hansen, Raymond, Grabner...think Bieksa and Kesler were before too...we had a pretty good run of guys on that team that ended up playing on the best Sedin teams..

This is what happens on deep, successful clubs. Detroit did this for years, the Oilers didn't. Detroit is no longer the same powerhouse but the latest example would be Mantha. Mantha is a legit player now that he spent his time in the minors. Adam G is gonna be a stud. He's smart, skates well, has great character, and work ethic. His time will come soon. 

Edited by rekker

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

Well me too - but we would be kidding ourselves if we actually expected that to happen. Our annual history combined with Green's all-out playing style expectations pretty much assures we will see injuries soon.

I'm not so sure. I mean it's hockey, there will be injuries but a lot of what leads to injuries is lacking puck possession. That's a LOT less of a problem this year than its been in years. It's quite likely to lead to less injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not so sure. I mean it's hockey, there will be injuries but a lot of what leads to injuries is lacking puck possession. That's a LOT less of a problem this year than its been in years. It's quite likely to lead to less injuries.

Yes, fatigue and lack of puck possession. Our improved skill, size and depth are likely to continue to reduce our chronic injury woes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, fatigue and lack of puck possession. Our improved skill, size and depth are likely to continue to reduce our chronic injury woes.

And puck movement. Hughes especially but also Myers and even Benn have mad a HUGE difference in how much time we spend without the puck and/or in our own end. And the improvements at forward ensure once we get it back and at the other end, it stays there more.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Everyone has their favorite player or players. I understand the frustration if the team is losing but they are 6-1 in their last 7 games and moving up the standings. Gaudette is a young player and will get his chances to play. We all hope the team stays relatively healthy this season ... but it doesnt always happen.

AG could get called up this week or who knows. That's why we wanted depth at each position.Now that we have it some are not happy with what that means for their favorite young player. I get it.

Having a player as good as Gaudette or Baertschi or Goldobin in the minors means this team is better than it has been, deeper than it has been and having more success. This is what we have been missing for a few years. Good times ahead.

This is what I see many times on these boards players are looked at more then the team as a whole. From the "Lets gut the whole team so we can draft higher" to "This player deserves to be in the line up" its really about putting a 23 man roster together that gives you the best chance to win. 

People wanted the Sedins to play past their primes even though they had become serious defensive liabilities in their last couple of years playing. 

I said before that its really about balance and right now the team is the most balanced I have seen in years. The WCE lacked a goalie and the Sedins lacked toughness and character players such as a Linden or a Bo. 

Gaudette will play, its just a matter of when. He has improved but his play is not screaming, " He needs to stay in this line up" like a Petey or a Hughes, lets put things into perspective here. We need to be patient as his time will come.

• Upvote 1