The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Look at the Canucks all time coaching stats. AV, Marc Crawford, and Pat Quinn are the only coaches we've had that achieved a winning record. They also stuck around the longest. Most unsuccessful coaches are 2 and out. I really don't understand why people want to go against the grain and keep giving Green more chances. How long until enough is enough? 2 more seasons, 3??? In the coaching world you either get results or you get fired, there is no 'waitng for someone to develop" behind the bench.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/coaches.html

Yeah they did deliver better results than Green. 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, the grinder said:

you mean tortrella?

Good point but Babcock has more of a proven record than Torts. 

At the end of the day, do we have the player types to match Babcock's style? I don't think so. But it's still an interesting thought.

9 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Look at the Canucks all time coaching stats. AV, Marc Crawford, and Pat Quinn are the only coaches we've had that achieved a winning record. They also stuck around the longest. Most unsuccessful coaches are 2 and out. I really don't understand why people want to go against the grain and keep giving Green more chances. How long until enough is enough? 2 more seasons, 3??? In the coaching world you either get results or you get fired, there is no 'waitng for someone to develop" behind the bench.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/coaches.html

John Tortorella had a winning record :bigblush:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

cdc just loves to have a coaching carousel

1 hour ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Can’t fire some one every time the team falls into a funk the 3rd 4th line guys that played a 2nd line role were above there skills for the first month and now the luck ran out. Benning needs to find that 2nd line guy for Bo

green working with what he has got 

It isn't like Green is new or anything. This is his 3rd season.  We're not seeing any improvement in terms of systems. The only response Green has to adversity is throwing the lines in a blender.  He's in over his head and he was given a fair shot. It's time to show him the door.

It's like another poster said, the time is now because an elite NHL level coach is available now. Has nothing to do with a couple of losses. Honestly we should have done it when JQ was available but that ship has sailed. It's now or never.

• Wat 3

I am by no means a Green hater, but anyone who says they rather have Green over Babcock are absent minded. You can call Babcock overrated, but Babs is a proven winner in the NHL. Whereas, Green hasn’t won anything in any league.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I am by no means a Green hater, but anyone who says they rather have Green over Babcock are absent minded. You can call Babcock overrated, but Babs is a proven winner in the NHL. Whereas, Green hasn’t won anything in any league.

He won a championship as head coach in the WHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think I agree with this....however....every player that plays for Babcock hates him.

So he might not be the right guy for this team. Who knows though....who woulda thought Torts would ever coach again after his fiasco in Vancouver let alone him getting a team to play well.

Personally I think Babs is a overrated and definitely don’t think he would fare much better in Vancouver than Toronto but I do think in order to get the most out of this young core down the road Travis Green won’t be that guy. I firmly believe he was put in place as a stop gap to help usher the kids along in their development and then another established coach would come in and propel them over the hump into contention. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

babcock  hell no  how many times has his team folded like a cheap tent in the playoffs.   I don't think babcock can handle" the new nhl " players . we all know  Austin" moon man": Mathews  and,Wee Willie went crying to kyle dumbass  and got him fired .  looks good on Toronto when your gm lets the kids run the team   too bad they let dj smith go , they really sure could use him now  lol

• Upvote 1

Wow don’t understand how anyone could prefer green over Babcock. 

‘You People’ (hahaha) that want green have you even watched the Canucks play. Even at the start of the year they give up tons of odd man rushes. Which you could say that happens due to them pressing for offense. Ok well then why Does it seem the Canucks rarely get odd man rushes for. 
green has our stud first line playing grinder dump and chase when they’re skilled with the puck. Petey is one of the most gifted players when he has the puck on his stick not when he dumps and chases. Oh and not to mention how does having the third and fourth line centres panic the coach into playing Petey with Leivo and Pearson that was atrocious to watch might as well have healthy scratched petey. 
The power play yes has had great success. But could you imagine how good it’d be without that stupid breakout drop pass that everyone knows is coming and hinders there zone entries. Yes probably not all on green there but at some point head coach step up and change something. And yes Canucks are cap crunched but they got that way getting the players green wanted. 

Babcock isn’t perfect but look back to last year. He went TIL end of November without one of his top players in nylander say whatever u like about him he is one of Toronto’s top players. Tavares was hurt to start this season and the cap crunch the management has put the team in I’m pretty sure they aren’t the team Babcock wanted. 
not to mention Stanley cup and Olympic gold ain’t that bad. 

green needs to go or change the system cause it ain’t working. And don’t be afraid to play your best players together and the bottom six players in the bottom six and not on the pp

Edited by Bure1010
  • Upvote 1

Quoting myself from the firing thread 

The amount of hate towards Babcock from some of the posters in this thread is a bit surprising to say the least... Is it blind hate towards him because he's been the head coach of the most hated team on this forum, the maple leafs? He's won a cup with Detroit, gold medal with team Canada, he's taken Toronto further than they have been in decades and in the playoffs simply have not been able to slay the dragon (bruins), similar to how the canucks failed for many years to defeat Chicago... Dubas didn't address any of the team weaknesses and actually made them worse with the contracts he signed, sacrificing depth. 

In contrast, this blind loyalty towards Green is even more surprising. He's literally done nothing at the nhl level. As a person, I'm sure he's a great guy, but he can't hold a candle to Babcock at this point in his coaching career. 

I really don't see how one can argue that Babcock wouldn't be an improvement on Green. His experience alone is more valuable than whatever Green brings to the table. 

Its a bold move that I don't see benning doing at this point (unless we get blown out again in the next few games), especially considering the ridiculous unwarranted contract extensions given to the assistant coaches (except Ian Clarke, he deserves every penny). But if benning does go for it, I support the move 100%. Greens dump and chase and lack of adaptivity is gonna get him fired by the end of this seasonregardless.

To say this man has done nothing in Toronto is laughable. They've become relevant for the first time in decades. A winning record, but just like the canucks had early failures in beating Chicago, Torontos failed to beat the bruins.

Dubas didn't address the holes in the team, that's not on Babs.

I'm still waiting to see something of substance that would suggest green is in any way shape or form a better coach.

I wanted Trotz when he was available, we went with real gud Willy instead... At the time it was acceptable since we were at the very start of our rebuild and Willy was never going to stick around long term. But then we went with another rookie coach in green... We aren't gonna take the next step with him either.

Edited by Kushman
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Personally I think Babs is a overrated and definitely don’t think he would fare much better in Vancouver than Toronto but I do think in order to get the most out of this young core down the road Travis Green won’t be that guy. I firmly believe he was put in place as a stop gap to help usher the kids along in their development and then another established coach would come in and propel them over the hump into contention. 

TOR 2015–16 82 29 42 11 69 8th in Atlantic Missed Playoffs
TOR 2016–17 82 40 27 15 95 4th in Atlantic 6 2 4 .333 Lost in First Round (WSH)
TOR 2017–18 82 49 26 7 105 3rd in Atlantic 7 3 4 .429 Lost in First Round (BOS)
TOR 2018–19 82 46 28 8 100 3rd in Atlantic 7 3 4 .429 Lost in First Round (BOS)
TOR 2019 23 9 10 4 22 (fired)
TOR total 351 173 133 45     20 8 12 .400  

Look at Babcock's recent history. TOR went from last in their division to a playoff team. Of course there were trades and aquisitions by the GM that helped too but much of that turn around can be attributed to Babcock. 

In addition to winning a Stanley Cup he's also lost in 3 Finals  and he's only missed the playoffs twice in his long career. People saying he is overrated are fools. He has a proven track record. People who say his playing style won't fit with the team are misguided. He plays a style that focuses on puck possession and utilizing your skill guys. A great system for a team like ours with elite talent like Petterson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, and Hughes.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, khay said:

Good point but Babcock has more of a proven record than Torts. 

At the end of the day, do we have the player types to match Babcock's style? I don't think so. But it's still an interesting thought.

we have the players but they have been injured  Ferland and Roussel  those 2 players make a difference  and add motte to that list .  Ive said before   we replaced our grit with soft players , besides that isn't green signed for 3 years  ?  

10 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Look at Babcock's recent history. TOR went from last in their division to a playoff team. Of course there were trades and aquisitions by the GM that helped too but much of that turn around can be attributed to Babcock. 

In addition to winning a Stanley Cup he's also lost in 3 Finals  and he's only missed the playoffs twice in his long career. People saying he is overrated are fools. He has a proven track record. People who say his playing style won't fit with the team are misguided. He plays a style that focuses on puck possession and utilizing your skill guys. A great system for a team like ours with elite talent like Petterson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, and Hughes.

I think a lot of people are letting their hate for the leafs influence their view of Babcock as a coach.

He's an all time great with a resume to back it. I don't understand how people will throw him under the bus but maintain such blind loyalty towards Green, who has accomplished NOTHING as an nhl coach.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

and how long did Toronto suck for before they made the playoffs   ?   hmm a number one over all draft pick and a ton of other high draft picks    sure would help a coach  wouldn't it  ,  ya made the playoffs  and got bounced out the first round 3 years in a row  , twice by the same team   so would that be on the coach or the team ?  I would say that was coaching  ,  if you ask  why  two words jake gardiner .  in game 7  of the bostson series   jake got burned for 5 goals  wouldn't a good coach get him off the ice, just saying