The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Russia | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2020 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Retreat! Retreat!

i wasnt talking about a random meaningless game. Im commenting on how our whole country can blindly follow some kids playing a kids game, but cant seem to decide on anything other than that. 

Seriously, it is spectacles of entertainment like this that are ruining us. 

Random troll is random. Hey look I can decide that!  Go back under your bridge and complain to someone else. As I’ve asked leave me out of your confusion and gender issues. I am allowed to cheer for Canada and Podkolzin...you can worry about society somewhere else, I recommend the off topic section or maybe HF boards. 

Edit - some of us don’t consider a gold medal game at an international tournament to be a “random meaningless game” either

Edited by Amebushi
  • Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, the camera call was confusing for everyone, but they did follow the letter of the rule.  What other silly calls?

I think the call on the broken stick was questionable as to wether the player knew his stick was broken or not, just my opinion I’ve seen that not called more often by refs based on wether the play was a deterrent against the opponent. 

I’ll say this the refs were consistent they called  every play nothing wasn’t called. 

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

What a game. Most if not all penalties were legitimate, whether or not the refs could've had looser criteria for calling the game is a whole other debate.

Congrats on the kids for brining home the gold. Will be interesting to see who makes the cut in the big leagues as I still don't see much NHL star power here.

Well put. 

The sticks being knocked out of players' hands was memorable because in fact we call the same stuff in the NHL.  You can board a guy to the point of a concussion, but you shouldn't lift his stick when he doesn't have the puck. 

I think they should deal with the BIG stuff (boarding, reckless play, headshots, players in the crease) before getting to the tiny details like knocking a guy's stick a bit.

Re: Canadian players and making the NHL.  That Russian team was very good.  The Canadian team was very young.  Together that suggests there are some very good Canadian players who will play major roles in the NHL. I suspect that at least 7 of them will be household names in 3 years.  Probably 10 of them make the NHL, maybe more.  A lot of good skaters. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Well put. 

The sticks being knocked out of players' hands was memorable because in fact we call the same stuff in the NHL.  You can board a guy to the point of a concussion, but you shouldn't lift his stick when he doesn't have the puck. 

I think they should deal with the BIG stuff (boarding, reckless play, headshots, players in the crease) before getting to the tiny details like knocking a guy's stick a bit.

Re: Canadian players and making the NHL.  That Russian team was very good.  The Canadian team was very young.  Together that suggests there are some very good Canadian players who will play major roles in the NHL. I suspect that at least 7 of them will be household names in 3 years.  Probably 10 of them make the NHL, maybe more.  A lot of good skaters. 

Something else is that a defender can push (interfere with a forward, without him having the puck) but if it is not in front of the net it is called intereference

16 minutes ago, gameburn said:

You can board a guy to the point of a concussion, but you shouldn't lift his stick when he doesn't have the puck. 

Yeah it's getting frustrating watching the NHL these days.  Like the call on Roussel last night where he is trying to check a player and hits the opposition's stick with his own.  How is that a penalty? Guys up against the boards are always trying to lift each other's sticks.  I don't understand where they're drawing the line when it comes to using your stick to check someone with the puck.  I thought that the rule was that you couldn't slash their hands or hook them, so make contact with their body.  This whole stick on stick penalty calling is frustrating the fans and the players. 

54 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Something else is that a defender can push (interfere with a forward, without him having the puck) but if it is not in front of the net it is called intereference

Good point.  We're so used to that that we hardly notice it anymore.

I wonder sometimes if a basketball style rule would help, along with a "key" painted on the ice.  You can be close to the front of the net for 3 seconds only.  

48 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah it's getting frustrating watching the NHL these days.  Like the call on Roussel last night where he is trying to check a player and hits the opposition's stick with his own.  How is that a penalty? Guys up against the boards are always trying to lift each other's sticks.  I don't understand where they're drawing the line when it comes to using your stick to check someone with the puck.  I thought that the rule was that you couldn't slash their hands or hook them, so make contact with their body.  This whole stick on stick penalty calling is frustrating the fans and the players. 

Well put.

And those offside video replays... hard to put up with that.

Should be a rule: either the NHL deals with offside in 6 seconds or an appealing team has to.  Something.

A lot of the craziness in officiating is due to crazy rules, half of which are there because they want a visually pleasing game that increases scoring.  

Wait until China produces a 7 foot 4 inch goalie that literally fills every space in the net.  End of scoring.  They have to deal with net size and goalie equipment in my opinion.  A bigger ice surface should help with scoring if the nets are enlarged -- even 18 inches wider would help.

They should also look at much bigger arenas that have the potential to get 50 thousand fans in.  Would allow lower ticket prices and higher revenues.  Some of the European football clubs sell out at 75,000 fans every game.  Lets them sell tickets for 15 bucks lol.  And pay players 40 million a year.  

1 hour ago, Bertorama said:

I think the call on the broken stick was questionable as to wether the player knew his stick was broken or not, just my opinion I’ve seen that not called more often by refs based on wether the play was a deterrent against the opponent. 

I’ll say this the refs were consistent they called  every play nothing wasn’t called. 

Playing with a broken stick will get called every single time, especially when he actively tried to prevent a player going the other way

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Well put.

And those offside video replays... hard to put up with that.

Should be a rule: either the NHL deals with offside in 6 seconds or an appealing team has to.  Something.

A lot of the craziness in officiating is due to crazy rules, half of which are there because they want a visually pleasing game that increases scoring.  

Wait until China produces a 7 foot 4 inch goalie that literally fills every space in the net.  End of scoring.  They have to deal with net size and goalie equipment in my opinion.  A bigger ice surface should help with scoring if the nets are enlarged -- even 18 inches wider would help.

They should also look at much bigger arenas that have the potential to get 50 thousand fans in.  Would allow lower ticket prices and higher revenues.  Some of the European football clubs sell out at 75,000 fans every game.  Lets them sell tickets for 15 bucks lol.  And pay players 40 million a year.  

You know, I always thought that they should go the way of MLB and only allow wooden sticks, nothing else.  I know that it sounds backwards, however you can then go and mandate that goalies wear proper fitting equipment instead of what's going on now.  I know that the goalies need extra protection because with the modern sticks you can get a lot more flex and power into the shots.  

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

List of Canadian international heroes against Russia:

Paul Henderson

Mario Lemieux

Jordan Eberle

Akil Thomas

The TSN camera

Don't forget Mike Bossy.....should probably include Paul Coffey for breaking up the 2 on 1 as well....

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Selfish move for a cripple to occupy a key roster spot. 

There are excellent options to go in his place. 

Hope I’m wrong, but...

Guess my bias against the guy is showing.

Calling any person a cripple is tasteless. You can criticize without doing so. Do better.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Retreat! Retreat!

i wasnt talking about a random meaningless game. Im commenting on how our whole country can blindly follow some kids playing a kids game, but cant seem to decide on anything other than that. 

Seriously, it is spectacles of entertainment like this that are ruining us. 

lol wtf are you going on about.