The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Mikael Granlund Available

aGENT

From a Canucks perspective, he'd certainly fit the bill as the additional 'top 6 F' Benning stated he's looking for. And he'd almost certainly be one of the cheaper options. Seems to have just been a good player but really bad fit in Nashville.

Edited by aGENT

id think that he needs to go to a team with an older grouping of players

san jose springs to mind

but he is a rental with an almost 6 million cap hit

who is underperforming

not sure he is an asset, seems more like an anchor

i think he will net very little return

unless nashville is willing to retain contract on any move

but nashville is the sort of team

that really ought to be buyers or they seem likely to miss the playoffs

they need cap space to buy

and selling granlund at this time indicates they see he has very little value

Just now, Lancaster said:

Unless they're willing to take Baertschi plus a B prospect in return.... I doubt the Canucks are in a position to offer what the Preds are looking for.  

Baer and Stecher +/- ....?

Would be and upgrade on RD and youth for them over Weber/Irwin. Baer can likely put up similar number to what Granlund has in his time there... Cap's largely a wash.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would be and upgrade on RD and youth for them over Weber/Irwin. Baer can likely put up similar number to what Granlund has in his time there... Cap's largely a wash.

I’d do that actually. Granlund isn’t at the top of my potential trade targets but I’d definitely see what Nashville would want for him. 

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt Nashville wants to use Granlund's numbers as baseline as they want to get better not stay even.  

Rather than take that deal, Nashville is better off just keeping Granlund and being done with his contract at the end of the season, instead of already tying up cap space and losing flexibility in the off-season.  

Taylor Hall is going to be a free agent and he has a very good relationship with Hynes.  He wants to win and Nashville's window is now.  There's also Kreider.  If they take Baertschi - they are tying up over 3M in cap space instead of being able to upgrade on Granlund.  Nashville is a bit of a soft team and need some size and physicality - especially in their top-6.  Stecher doesn't bring size either.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

From a Canucks perspective, he'd certainly fit the bill as the additional 'top 6 F' Benning stated he's looking for. And he'd almost certainly be one of the cheaper options. Seems to have just been a good player but really bad fit in Nashville.

I sincerely wonder, and have been all season if he couldn't be a potential Pearson trade.

Where for whatever reason he just could not make it work in Nashville and will blossom somewhere else.

19 minutes ago, mll said:

I doubt Nashville wants to use Granlund's numbers as baseline as they want to get better not stay even.  

Rather than take that deal, Nashville is better off just keeping Granlund and being done with his contract at the end of the season, instead of already tying up cap space and losing flexibility in the off-season.  

Taylor Hall is going to be a free agent and he has a very good relationship with Hynes.  He wants to win and Nashville's window is now.  There's also Kreider.  If they take Baertschi - they are tying up over 3M in cap space instead of being able to upgrade on Granlund.  Nashville is a bit of a soft team and need some size and physicality - especially in their top-6.  Stecher doesn't bring size either.

What Nashville does or doesn't want may not be particularly up to them.

Let's not act like adding RFA controlled Stecher is nothing for Granlund (on top of Baer).

We could retain on Baer. They retain the same amount on Granlund for the rest of this season and voila. Baer at $1.6m+/- next year.

Are you suggesting they could get Kreider for Granlund? I think that's laughable :lol:

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Who the &^@# is TOT? Wikipedia says he split time with the Wild and Preds? Total?

TOT is likely an abbreviation of 'total' as in the 'total' between the two teams he split time between...

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I sincerely wonder, and have been all season if he couldn't be a potential Pearson trade.

Where for whatever reason he just could not make it work in Nashville and will blossom somewhere else.

I'd rather keep Pearson thanks.

Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Granlund wouldn't be a bad top 6 heading in to spring.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

What Nashville does or doesn't want may not be particularly up to them.

Let's not act like adding RFA controlled Stecher is nothing for Granlund (on top of Baer).

We could retain on Baer. They retain the same amount on Granlund for the rest of this season and voila. Baer at $1.6m+/- next year.

Are you suggesting they could get Kreider for Granlund? I think that's laughable :lol:

Granlund is of course not going to bring back Kreider.   I'm talking of the off-season.  Kreider is a UFA and they could go after him in the summer or they could go after Taylor Hall.  If they don't trade Granlund or trade him for picks/prospects - they will have more cap flexibility in the summer.   His full cap hit is off their books and they are not tying themselves to players who don't fill their need.  

Poile watched the Worlds were Stecher got overtaken by Fabbro - Stecher's minutes kept on disappearing in favour of Fabbro.  Poile said it's those games that convinced him  he could move Subban.  I would think Nashville is going to try and add size for their top-6 and possibly on D.  Brenden Dillon is a UFA this summer.  

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather keep Pearson thanks.

Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Granlund wouldn't be a bad top 6 heading in to spring.

He's not saying trade Pearson he is saying Granlund could turn into Pearson.

Nashville wouldn't want cap coming back as they have no space so really unlikely JB trades for him. I also don't think there is a spot for him in the top 6 currently. I'd only do this if Sutter was going the other way.

• Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

Granlund is of course not going to bring back Kreider.   I'm talking of the off-season.  Kreider is a UFA and they could go after him in the summer or they could go after Taylor Hall.  If they don't trade Granlund or trade him for picks/prospects - they will have more cap flexibility in the summer.   His full cap hit is off their books and they are not tying themselves to players who don't fill their need.  

Poile watched the Worlds were Stecher got overtaken by Fabbro - Stecher's minutes kept on disappearing in favour of Fabbro.  Poile said it's those games that convinced him  he could move Subban.  I would think Nashville is going to try and add size for their top-6 and possibly on D.  Brenden Dillon is a UFA this summer.  

$1.6m Baer is not likely to interfere with them going after Hall, Kreider or whoever.

They're unlikely to get solely picks/prospects for Granlund at his present value. Other playoff teams will want/need to send cap back.

Did I suggest Stecher would overtake Fabbro? :blink: Nope, I clearly suggested he would be an upgrade on Weber/Irwin. Both of whom expire this summer. Nor does Stecher necessarily stop them from going after Dillon this summer. Ellis, Fabbro, Dillon/Stecher would be a vast improvement on their right D from what they have this year.