The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, Primal Optimist said:

11. Primal Optimist!!!!!!:metal:

Jake doesn't have to worry about anything until Boes' gets back and he was outplaying him, significantly, prior to BB getting hurt.  The only reason BB was back with Petey is because he was invisible with AG and Jake can drive that line.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

Looking into my crystal ball, I think I can see the plan Benning might be going for:  Toffoli seems like a Green guy, and someone they would want to keep around if possible.  The only way that happens is if there are some other moves incoming to free up the cap.  So, maybe it's Leivo, Sutter, Tanev and Stetcher going out in favor of picks, promotions (Rafferty and Zach M; Gaudette to 3rd line C permanently, and Beagle/AHL forward covering 4th line duties) and additions (Trymakin).  That should enable the Canucks to sign Toffoli and cover bonuses, and then it's up to getting Loui to retire to cover raises and other costs.  Madden would never have played for the Canucks.  A Hunter S. clone, who would have been eaten alive at centre, and if he played on the wing, I think the Canucks have enough wingers coming to cover his loss.  Addition by subtraction.  Loved the Miller move, love this move!     

PLEASE!! YES!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Its oK you were wrong about Gudbranson  and Schaller.... LOL 

Ooooh a 4th liner didn't work out on a short term cheap deal... lol. 

Gudbranson turned into Pearson who is having a career year. 

Another swing and a miss for kingofthedump. LOL. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2

11 minutes ago, mj vic said:

Funny what a few hours (and a few beers) can do to change your mind.  I've gone from being pissed off about this deal to now feeling genuinely quite excited about the possibilities of this season.  Time to crack another beer and feel even better about the future...

Its a good trade, and even better if he resigns here.

Reminds me of the Higgins trade tbh.

Toffoli will go to war for us.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks haven't won anything with Miller yet..... 

First round picks are precious ....

The Millrt trade and this one were both fair value.  Some might say we stole Miller.  But IMO the timing for these types of trades (giving up future assets for support players) was too soon.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey might, but he's showing the effects of being a star, he's not going to light the league on fire in the next two seasons, so I think he gets a deal similar to Boes' in term, but around the $6-7m mark.

Hughes, might end up being the better, more expensive player of the two.

I think Hughes will sign less than Petey personally because I think Petey is the better player. Look at how Mackinnon and Eichel progressed. They weren't PPG players for a few years then exploded into top players.

Petey's already putting up a PPG now... He's not even filled his body out. Gotta be careful with that. He's gonna take that next step eventually and we don't want him coming off a contract when he does.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Ooooh a 4th liner didn't work out on a short term cheap deal... lol. 

Gudbranson turned into Pearson who is having a career year. 

Another swing and a miss for kingofthedump. LOL. 

I don't have time for your childish rants... 

You can't realy fairly judge the Miller deal until you see you is drafted in the pick.

Did you break all your crayons tonight ?

6 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

Admittedly, I was not a big fan of the JT trade when it happened......and I was wrong. I will own that. I am not so naive to think that I can not be wrong about this too.... I can't predict the future, I can only call a trade as I see it in real time. What made the JT trade so great was that he is locked up on a very reasonable deal for the foreseeable future.  There was team control. It was a gamble when JB made it, and it turned out great when it turned out we got an excellent player. TT, on an expiring contract, is the opposite of this situation. Team's pay a huge premium for team control. TT trade has no team control, and that is especially what I don't like that part of the trade. I don't see a scenario where he resigns on a bargain deal. I am willing to admit I could be wrong.

It's definitely a gamble, no argument there, but it's a pretty low risk gamble.  A second who wouldn't see Van for at least 5 years (likely never) and a very undersized cman behind a glut of better, bigger cmen in the org.  He also gets a guy that has proven chemistry with Bo's lw'er..........to me, it's about as low risk as you could ask for in a deal that brings back a TT level player.

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

Dude the leafs are a dumpster fire of a franchise. And the flames last year weren’t even supposed to make the playoffs. They have a young core as well and the inexperience killed them. But that’s how you learn. Ovi has been the best goal scorer in 2 decades and he didn’t win till he was 33. Team needs to learn how to play as a team and they are figuring it out. The playoffs would be the best thing for them because it’s a whole other level of intensity and we need to expose Petey and Hughes to those kinds of situation to refine their play, and play more responsibly. 

and teams need Bry Trotz

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

You, along with all the rest of us don't know if he's actually a rental. If Benning and the team can, they will try and re-sign Toffoli....you seem to think you know for sure this is a rental situation. Seeing as a rental for this team doesn't make much sense which I completely agree, my money is on re-signing him. I don't think Benning is done, I suspect he will dump some salaries wherever he can. We are against the cap yes, but teams fandangle their way around that all the time....God that Loui Eriksson contract is a pair of cement boots.....

I call him a rental because he basically is one. If he wants to test free agency he can easily wait to do so. In the event he does (most 27 year olds do) that means one of 3 situations can occur

1. He falls in love with the team and gives us what him and his agent deems to be a discount to extend before free agency (seems very unlikely to me)

2. We extend him before July 1 by paying him what his agent expects he can get as UFA (more less same as being a rental)

3. He leaves as free agent (rental)

If he was on a JT miller like contract, that wouldn't be a rental, because he is locked up for a long time.

• Wat 2