The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Damage? 

Litterally no sports writers/odds makers had the canucks even challenging for a wild card spot this year.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-power-rankings-super-16-july-18/c-308287302

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27239491/nhl-power-rankings-rating-every-team-heading-2019-20

How about Quinn Hughes shattering every rookie defenceman record for the nux?

How about Jake scoring 20? He will I already bought my 6 pack.

How about Pete shaking the softmore slump now that every team in the league knows how good he is?

Bo Horvat is now easilly considered one of the best defensive centerman in the league.

Not worried about the kids they are developing pretty flippin well.

Who predicted JT Miller at PPG+?

how about having 6-7 20 goal scorers? (Jakes gonna do it and Brock certainly would have as well Toffoli absolutely crushing it).

Its really easy to get wrapped up in the emotion of the moment but take a deep breath step back our team may be struggling through some adversity right now but regardless this season has been a huge step forward. I know its frustrating watching Loui, Sutter, Roussel, for the time being but remember their lightning rods to relieve some pressure from the kids. This city can be ruthless. 

great post!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Damage? 

Litterally no sports writers/odds makers had the canucks even challenging for a wild card spot this year.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27239491/nhl-power-rankings-rating-every-team-heading-2019-20

How about Pete shaking the softmore slump now that every team in the league knows how good he is?

Bo Horvat is now easilly considered one of the best defensive centerman in the league.

how about having 6-7 20 goal scorers? (Jakes gonna do it and Brock certainly would have as well Toffoli absolutely crushing it).

Its really easy to get wrapped up in the emotion of the moment but take a deep breath step back our team may be struggling through some adversity right now but regardless this season has been a huge step forward. I know its frustrating watching Loui, Sutter, Roussel, for the time being but remember their lightning rods to relieve some pressure from the kids. This city can be ruthless. 

Kumbaya ma Lord, Kumbaya!!!!! :lol::towel::frantic:

1 hour ago, NeilColville said:

Bo was on the sidelines with the refs watching it all go down. 

How dare you say that don't you know, "Bo Horvat is now easilly considered one of the best defensive centerman in the league." ::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You know it isn't just clear sailing for any team?  "FULL STEAM AHEAD".

The key players are coached by the same guy as the others so if you blame him for the team "not improving" then you can't just overlook those who are doing a great job.  

I think maybe some are carrying the Willie D mantra over and it's become a bit of a theme.  That when a team struggles, as teams do/will, that it's FIRE THE COACH TIME.

Might not be the one size fits all answer.  Of course he has an agenda....it's for his team to win.  

Players don't just move up a level  in increments like it's a video game....some do, some don't.  That's often their deal (too), not just coaching flaws and deficiencies.  

I'm not saying the team shouldn't consider a coaching change...some times things get stale.  But at the end of the season, after we see this thing through and a proper assessment can be made.  Not a reactionary one.  Because I feel the players trust this coach and if he goes they'll partly feel ownership for that.  Might mess with them as a big time distraction at a time when they ARE still learning as a group and need to be fully focused.

This is exactly right Deb, an assessment will be made and the excess will be trimmed. I am actually hoping we do get into the playoffs as it will separate the men from the boys and we can see who steps up and who is wasting our time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I take it you disagree?

I think people just miss having that Canadian captain who will stick up for anybody (Linden) finally we have Horvat hes a good captain and can only do so much. At least he can handle himself very nicely in 1 on 1 fights! all n all its very nice to have a Canadian captain again! :gocan:

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I love how Roussel has come alive with Zac as a partner. Gives me hope that his knee is close to being fully healed. 

Not looking forward to the CDC $&!# fit when Zac sits when Beagle comes back tho. 

Very happy for Demko, this should really boost his confidence. He'll clean up the sloppy goals allowed soon enough. Seems to happen to every goalie in their development, they can save the tough ones but the easy ones slip through.

I may be the only one, but Demko reminds me of Marky a few years back... some incredible saves, but seemed to always let in a soft one in the beginning of the games, or a few soft ones...

If Demko will follow the same improvement path as Marky, we're going to be golden.

Seems like he has already improved since his first game after Marky went down...We need him to play well the next few weeks.

Edited by spook007

12 hours ago, stawns said:

what's wrong with Sutter?  Injuries aside, he's played very well and even showed spurts of offense when put in that situation.  I love Mac and have been a big advocate of his since the day he signed, but he won't likely slot in ahead of established, experienced guys, imo

I think he has better hands than Sutter and brings a physical element to the forecheck as well. Sutsy kills penalties and is pretty good in the dot but as games get heavier and tighter down the stretch MacEwen might be a better fit on that third line. With Louie on Horvats wing and another spot needed for Jake Sutter is in tough on that last winger spot. 
JB called Mac an NHL player while interviewing at the deadline. 

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I liked last nights game because we were down Markstrom and Boeser and still pulled it off. I thought in general, we all played a playoff style game, and finished things off, all night long...…..

This game for some reason, has me thinking to the next couple of years. Why? Because we played heavier, which had a lot to do with MacEwen. So, as I go into my Faux GM mode...….

I see this...……….

Tryamkin...………..big, heavy, hits like thunder...………...huge improvement over what we have now

Podkolzin………….young, aggressive, high energy player, with a none stop motor

Lind...……………...NHL body, speed, with an edge...……….I hope he continues his improvements!

Hoglander………...Question mark?. Can he apply his high energy, physical play to an NHL game? Is he Galagher or is he Goldobin? Big, big difference!

Bailey...……………Does he understand his only route into the NHL is through full out, balls to the walls, physical play? His choice! Do or die!

To me, the only question is other than Woo???? where is another big physical Dman in the system? I would like to see that as I am taken back to last night, and a response

by Myers, on a player going into Demko. Myers response was decent, but I really want to see that guy with a mean edge to his game, with a memory, who when the guy is down, puts 3 or 4 shots into his head. I am not an advocate of this every game, but like Lucic, a guy that is known for a harsh reaction, does not have to do it every game, as well, guys just don't want to have to answer that kind of punishment......aka Lucic does not have to fight every game, but even the big guys know not will not be fun.

So, as I watched this game, enjoying most moments, that is what came to mind, as I see our team coming of age, and being able to play a playoff style game. Because...sure, they can play that way for 1 game, but can they maintain it? IMO, we are not there yet.....

Great game......with holes

The dream of a big, mean D-man, who plays well enough to be on the ice. 

It'll be interesting to see how Tryamkin does, when/if he comes back to VCR...While being big and strong, not sure he is Chara/ Proper or Webber nasty enough...

But yes it would be great to have someone back there, who could actually hurt the opposition...

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The dream of a big, mean D-man, who plays well enough to be on the ice. 

It'll be interesting to see how Tryamkin does, when/if he comes back to VCR...While being big and strong, not sure he is Chara/ Proper or Webber nasty enough...

But yes it would be great to have someone back there, who could actually hurt the opposition...

I don't think Tram has that 'nasty' element to his game. He likes to take the body, for sure, and is so big he knocks guys on their butt a lot. But he doesn't go looking for stuff outside of the flow of play. All of the rough stuff I remember of him was Tram landing a solid hit on someone, and shoving a guy to the ice who got in his face about the hit. He's strong and physical, but I don't think he's got that nasty edge.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

I don't think Tram has that 'nasty' element to his game. He likes to take the body, for sure, and is so big he knocks guys on their butt a lot. But he doesn't go looking for stuff outside of the flow of play. All of the rough stuff I remember of him was Tram landing a solid hit on someone, and shoving a guy to the ice who got in his face about the hit. He's strong and physical, but I don't think he's got that nasty edge.

Exactly my take on it as well....

Rremember WD wanted him to watch Pronger videos, probably the meanness was one of those things he wanted from Trym...

Believe you're either a natural mean/dirty bastard or you're not... Its a personality issue... Bo is a good example...

Think its clear that some of these D men 'like' to hurt others... 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

Damage? 

Add to that the second most goals per games ratio in the NHL...

there’s lots of positives... the glass is definite half full here, not half empty. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1