The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: If you HAD to move Podkolzin....

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Why in the world would we do that?  Podz hasn’t played a game in the NHL yet and isn’t known for his offense but hopefully will make it and improve in that area.   He’s a tenacious forechecker - ie likely a middle six player...as far as “keep signing these guys” go - well we’ve only got three marquee players so far and BB is one of them.  Was top 5 in scoring for R wingers when he went down - not sure what more your expecting from him and as far as 8 million goes I hope that is the case because if he gets that then good times for us.

Seriously think that he’s earned a top six spot at this point - he’s career PGP so far is impressive...and he’s going to get better and he’s showing that he’s not just about goals too.  Players don’t peak their rookie year - well ok it’s happened twice that I can think of but one of those was Selanne - the other Gomez- both keepers.    20/40 goal scorers don’t grow on trees you know.   How many years did it take Naslund, the Sedins, Nealy and Kesler to bloom?   Yes he’s had some fluke injuries - so did rocket Richard - bet MTL is happy they didn’t give up on him as quickly as too many fans on this site have. 

edit:  as far as TB goes - not sure what you mean by that - are you suggesting we trade BB for Palat or Johnson or one of their expensive vets and a pick back?   Kind of counterintuitive given what you say about the future of our cap right?

Trading BB might be the price the team has to pay for the 3 games over .500 and the cap problems, picks and prospects traded, he is IMO the best value player that could be replaced the easiest with the biggest return.

The Cap - Boeser 5.65 mil and his next deal is at least 8 mil + vs Podz @ entry level three years after he starts. Podz will be older so he will step right in IF he is any good, but scouts say he is.

The Tampa reference was to do with having to get under the cap the only difference is one team is a power house and the other not and Tampa is just as young. Vancouver is in worse cap trouble than Tampa. Tampa can trade some players, Vancouver hasn't got anyone that others would want except the under 24 guys., Miller would get a pretty good return after this season.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Both Markstrom and Toffoli get to decide where to play, so I wouldn't count on either being back. Out of the two I'd rather Markstrom stays, but it will be his choice, not mine.

Toffoli stays in LA with wifey and buddies

Markstrom, it will be hard for him to stay unless Benning sells the future and trades Demko and gives him a long term NMC contract in the 6 mil range.

After his performances the last two years there are teams that have cap space and are closer to winning a cup than the Canucks. Would you want a player that doesn't want to win a cup? Or doesn't care? JM can have the best of all worlds, stability and a cup contender. Maybe even Anaheim or San Jose.

Podz keeps the cap lower so the team can pay Pettersson and Hughes

10 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Toffoli stays in LA with wifey and buddies

Markstrom, it will be hard for him to stay unless Benning sells the future and trades Demko and gives him a long term NMC contract in the 6 mil range.

After his performances the last two years there are teams that have cap space and are closer to winning a cup than the Canucks. Would you want a player that doesn't want to win a cup? Or doesn't care? JM can have the best of all worlds, stability and a cup contender. Maybe even Anaheim or San Jose.

Podz keeps the cap lower so the team can pay Pettersson and Hughes

I love Pettersson and Hughes, but people have to understand that neither are top 10 players yet, so I think we probably over value their future contracts a little. There are plenty of clubs that have players above 8 million that also are more competitive than us.

It is probably out lower level players that are paid a little too much.

As for Boeser, I would be very tempted to trade "IF" the return was right. But it has to be a good return, and one that betters both team. But honestly, I would rather not sign Markstrom, and keep everyone else ( Benning has to move some others as well...aka Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Etc.

As for Toffoli…….I am not sold he is going back to LA or anywhere else. LA is probably 4 or 5 years behind us, in terms of having mature NHL talent. I am not sure Toffoli wants to go through that....

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 9:55 AM, J-Dizzle said:

for help on defence who would you target?  

Think there could be something to - again of course, if you’re being forced - work out around players like Provorov (would the Flyers even consider moving him?) or maybe Dobson?  

Our forward group is pretty strong, IF we could get a solid return on the back end it might be something to think about......

Moritz Seider 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, King Heffy said:

Manson but I'd want Anaheim to add and they'd want us to add.

He's already pushing 30

On 3/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, luckylager said:

Parayko

If I HAD to

Moritz Seider 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, komodo0921 said:

Mikhail Sergachev

Moritz Seider 

Big, young stud Dman.

Do it GMJB!

Next year

Hughes Myers

Edler Seider

Tryamkin Rafferty

OJ Benn

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Moritz Seider 

He's already pushing 30

Moritz Seider 

Moritz Seider 

Big, young stud Dman.

Do it GMJB!

Next year

Hughes Myers

Edler Seider

Tryamkin Rafferty

OJ Benn

Detroit drafted Seider 4 spots ahead of Podkolzin.  If they wanted Podkolzin over Seider they would have taken him then.  

On 5/8/2020 at 10:18 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I love Pettersson and Hughes, but people have to understand that neither are top 10 players yet

IMO, both are generational players. I think they will be Top 10 within 2 years.

And I'd rather trade Boeser than Podkolzin. Better return, and it buys a little time before Podz gets paid the big bucks. Canucks have a lot of forward depth right now.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, both are generational players. I think they will be Top 10 within 2 years.

And I'd rather trade Boeser than Podkolzin. Better return, and it buys a little time before Podz gets paid the big bucks. Canucks have a lot of forward depth right now.

I guess it depends what you call generational, Nucker

My definition of generational are guys like Orr, Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, ………….the very best of the best, and who only really come once every 20 years

Yours might be different......Generational in regards to the Canucks...yes! We have never had players like that, but we have had Sedin's and Bure, who were at the top of the league for a brief period....so I think IMO, they have to climb further before even being held in their company...…..but I get what you mean

As for trading Boeser….I have flip flopped several times on that one, and I guess it would depend on the return, and if Toffoli is signed or not.

I would not be trading Podkolzin at this point

• Vintage 1

Playing the game that the OP suggested.  Provorov is definitely on the list for sure, a guy with that sort of size and skill.  I wouldn't go for another smallish D to go along with Hughes.  I would be finding a guy to pair with him so we have a 25-30 minute a night top pairing.

Unfortunately you can't get an established young top pairing D man for a prospect, it just isn't likely to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Think there could be something to - again of course, if you’re being forced - work out around players like Provorov (would the Flyers even consider moving him?) or maybe Dobson?  

Our forward group is pretty strong, IF we could get a solid return on the back end it might be something to think about......

Lmao. 

I wouldn’t target anyone at this point. Trading unknown prospects  like podkolzin, Lind or any player who’s been drafted in the last few years at this point would be stupid. Not unlike some of these posts. 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:53 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I guess it depends what you call generational, Nucker

My definition of generational are guys like Orr, Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, ………….the very best of the best, and who only really come once every 20 years

Yours might be different......Generational in regards to the Canucks...yes! We have never had players like that, but we have had Sedin's and Bure, who were at the top of the league for a brief period....so I think IMO, they have to climb further before even being held in their company...…..but I get what you mean

As for trading Boeser….I have flip flopped several times on that one, and I guess it would depend on the return, and if Toffoli is signed or not.

I would not be trading Podkolzin at this point

I agree. Generational doesn't mean top 10.

By definition you can only have 1 or 2 generational players in a 10 year span?

Generational gets tossed around too easily.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about Podkolzin for Dobson?

Podkzolin is the higher touted prospect, but Dobson plays a more important position.  The Islanders already have Bode Wilde as a promising defensive prospect, and perhaps they’d also see a benefit in having a nice young piece in Podkolzin playing alongside Barzal.

The Canucks on the other hand, get a guy who could very likely be a top pairing “all situations” future Edler replacement.   We don’t have a guy in our system that will likely be able to do what Edler does for us now.  A Hughes-Dobson pairing could really end up being one of the top pairings in hockey for years to come.

Podkolzin has too much upside. This team will be stacked when we get him, Hoglander, and Tryamkin over. Juolevi will be a solid top 4 for us, we still have Hughes, and Tryamkin. Maybe Woo makes a jump. Were solod. No need for panic moves at all in any position. JB did an amazing job with his trades and drafting. We are set for a very long time if we keep drafting like this!

On 5/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, Chris12345 said:

I agree. Generational doesn't mean top 10.

By definition you can only have 1 or 2 generational players in a 10 year span?

Generational gets tossed around too easily.

The only generational players in the league right now are Crosby and Ovi...and probably McDavid.   They get drafted and almost immediately show why the hype.   And are at or near the top in their position year in year out.    The HHOF is full of “franchise” players that aren’t generational talents.    Usually these guys are a tier above the leagues stars and always one of the top player or two by position (first and second all-stars).   Crosby is 6th all-time in PGP...Ovi would have owned the record for 50 goal seasons on his own this season (48 - and has to have the most R Richard trophies at this point even if they always existed)....and has good odds at finishing 2nd behind WG before his contract is up ...   Both started their careers with 100 point seasons.   One was 18 though (Crosby).     McDavid broke his leg  but also played at 18 and did well enough ... then exploded his second year ... playing on some so so EDM teams he’s managed a lot so far and he hasn’t peaked or hit his prime yet either.     So yes - one or two per decade lines up pretty well.   Bure is the only Canuck so far that maybe could get that handle ... he was pretty special.   And scored more goals per games played then anyone from the time he started his career until it ended (during that span - Selanne was close though) ....  EP and QHs would have to have pretty big breakouts to become top players in the league.   It’s possible I suppose.  Sure would be great for us fans, but I’d be happy with “franchise players” too.