The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Could Coronavirus Lead to the Return of Compliance Buyouts?

6 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

I can see this being a very real possibility. One or two compliance buyouts per team so they can get under the cap. 

Hey, Louie! LOL

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/03/could-coronavirus-lead-to-the-return-of-compliance-buyouts.html

We should buy out Luongo.and Eriksson. :bigblush:

Almost no money owed to Lou. A Full $3 mill against the cap.

Baer currently costs us more real money. But his $2.3 against the cap next year (assuming he is still in the minors).  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

That's a good point, had considered it, and went with Baer eating up nhl cap in the AHL, and Ferland could go on ltir if need be. @mll makes a solid point against that, with call up eligibility, bonus overages etc... but because Ferland's injured, it might not be allowed under the cba. I feel that if he comes back next season and has to go on ltir again, I think that'll be it for him and he'll likely call it a career. Not sure if the cap hit goes away or not though, anyone know?

I believe if he outright retires, then he's off the books (see Luongo). If he LTIRetires, then we have to deal with the issues that @mll mentioned. I also believe if he outright retires, then he's giving up the rest of the money, so it's more financially feasible for Ferland to go on LTIR. Not sure if his contract is a insured one or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I could see this happening if the salary cap drops due to this virus. Not sure if they would add it if the cap was to stay the same tho. Also believe it would be 1 buyout only not 2.

We can pray for 2 tho!! Would never happen but I would like to free up 12m with LoserSSon and Myers gone. If it was 2 it would be LoserSSon for sure and then likely Sven, but I agree with another poster I would hold on to Sven for 1 year and consider someone with more term for the 2nd buyout

We really only need the one buyout.

You tend to use buyouts on untradeable pieces (or players that require sweeteners to move). I am willing to bet a team would take on Myers if he were available. Baertschi not so much and thus the buyout makes more sense for him if a 2nd buyout were available. We need the cap space the most for next season (although I think we wouldn't be in that much trouble anyway, but certainly the tightest against the cap next season), so moving on from Baertschi to give us that flexibility is probably is good for us and for him to get a chance to sign a cheap deal with another team to try and resurrect his career. We will have expiring players after and the cap will go up when all of this all blows over. Moving out term on players of value on the team doesn't make sense.

• Cheers 1

I would not be surprised if the NHLPA actually approached the league to allow 2 buyouts assuming the cap is projected to be lower. The NHLPA is already quite unhappy with the escrow retention and lower revenue/salary cap will only heighten their concerns.Every player in the league would lose salary if the escrow payments go up and I am sure the NHLPA would like the buyout option if it means the escrow payments don't go up. Players receiving the buyouts still get 66% of their salaries owed and could still sign another contract with any team resulting in their total salary going up. Why would the NHLPA not want this?

In the early days of the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA), players actually received their escrow back, plus a bit more. But the rising salary cap has enabled owners to dole out heftier contracts -- and revenues have not kept up. So players are losing in excess of 10 percent of their annual salaries.Sep 1, 2019

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, oldnews said:

why buy out a 3.4 million contract in the AHL when you can buy out the guy playing the 3rd most minutes on the team?

the player with the 2nd most combined hits and blocked shots?

your 2nd leading D goal scorer?  3rd in D scoring.

2nd most takeaways on the team?  (rare for a defenseman, btw) - I believe he's 12th among NHL D in that category.

second unit penalty killer.

Likewise with the proposals to buyout Beagle, or Sutter.  CDC gonna CDC.

I can understand Sutter solely based on removing the salary, if it meant that was the only way to re-sign Marky, sign Toffoli, etc. I like what he brings to the team but I could see a cap reason to do it. It would leave a gap tho. But you could make a similar argument to remove the combo of money and term and buyout Roussel. All depends on the md-term planning.

I think we'll be lucky if the league allows one single compliance buyout, and Aquilini is willing to do it. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can understand Sutter solely based on removing the salary, if it meant that was the only way to re-sign Marky, sign Toffoli, etc. I like what he brings to the team but I could see a cap reason to do it. It would leave a gap tho. But you could make a similar argument to remove the combo of money and term and buyout Roussel. All depends on the md-term planning.

I think we'll be lucky if the league allows one single compliance buyout, and Aquilini is willing to do it. 

The difference between Sutter 4.4 and Baertschi 3.4 is 1 million

Solely based on salary is a really poor, reductive way to look at it.

Baertschi is 'dead cap' in the AHL

Sutter is your #7 forward

Principal penalty killer

2nd lowest ozone starts on the team (to Beagle).

Positive goal diffentilal 5 on 5 in that role.

Lowest goals against per 60 (2.2) on the team

17 pts in 44 games

Even Baertschi - or Luongo recrap aside - there are other players I'd buy out before Sutter (who I'd name if pressed, but they aren't the point).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'd be surprised if there were 2 buyouts. Eriksson is a given obviously. If we were allowed 2 buyouts I like the Luongo recapture if the league would go for it. If not, I would probably choose to buy out Rousell. The term remaining, salary for what he brings, and the fact that he received plenty of reputation calls leads me to that decision.

Eriksson, Baertschi, and Sutter all dead cap. Someone else pointed out in a different thread that the Sabres have all of 4 forwards on contract for next season, and I'm wondering if they could be interested in Baer/Sutter for a pick. Hell, take anything back. Move one of those guys, and buyout Eriksson, and we're in good shape. If neither get traded, buy out another. The tricky part will be making sure to bank some of that excess cap for the season after the next one (can't used numbers seasons as who knows when it'll start), wherein we'll need to re-sign Hughes/Petey with Edler/Pearson also due. 

Why would we buy out Myers? I don't agree.

Over 21 minute a night mobile big D, helps get the puck up ice. Not without his flaws, could bury more chances, sure? The net impact is positive IMO.

Particularly if Tanev walks UFA. Our top 3 RHD become Stecher, Rafferty & Chatfield. And if we re=sign Tanev, what if he inevetibly gets hurt again?

All we would do is go out and sign another Myers RHD...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Like?

Only other guy it might make sense to drop instead, is Ferland. And they'd have to be pretty certain he wasn't going to recover in that case.

Like Beagle :)

Ferland can go on LTIR. Beagle plays 4C and has 2 more years remaining at 3 mill. Sutter has one year remaining after this year, he can play 4C and be that leader and faceoff guru. Plus he can still be an effective 3C in case of injuries. Sutter was playing 4C before games were suspended anyways. Sutter's contract expires at the end of next year when Hughes and Petey are due for a helluva contract, so you'd have both Sutter and Beagle off the books by that time.

That said, I highly doubt they'd give 2 compliance buyouts. One buyout per team is much more likely imo.

Good points @Canuck Surfer and @oldnews regarding Myers...…..I have to admit, I am not a fan, but your points were valid, and I may have to rethink my opinion.

It is that 6 million, I have trouble swallowing...……..

If we were looking at what these guys would cost...…..Myers (6.0 M), Tanev (5.25 M), Tryamkin (3.25 M) Rafferty (1.00 M) is that an acceptable cost for your RHD?

Is 15.5 Million for your RHD  low enough cost?

With a LHD of Hughes (7.0 M), Edler (6.0 M), Juolevi (1.0 M) and Fantenberg (1.0 M) = 15.0 M

That is 30.5 Million for your defense...………...I think that would be the highest in the league...……...and far from the best

So what gives?

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Ferland can go on LTIR. Beagle plays 4C and has 2 more years remaining at 3 mill. Sutter has one year remaining after this year, he can play 4C and be that leader and faceoff guru. Plus he can still be an effective 3C in case of injuries. Sutter was playing 4C before games were suspended anyways. Sutter's contract expires at the end of next year when Hughes and Petey are due for a helluva contract, so you'd have both Sutter and Beagle off the books by that time.

That said, I highly doubt they'd give 2 compliance buyouts. One buyout per team is much more likely imo.

Nope :)

You don't buy out perfectly capable and needed (PK and dzone starts), NHL players.

11 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

It'd be Loui and either Ferland/ Myers for me, hope we could lose Fergie before he becomes injured again.  At least Roussel stays healthy enough to provide grit.

Myers just needs the right partner on the blue-line, maybe Edler?  Though I'd be fine to lose Tyler since we have Stecher already (or maybe trade T.M.)?

Roussel doesn't know the meaning of the word grit. Useless fits him more.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Beagle>>>>>>>Sutter.

We also need PKers on the 4th line. Beagles been doing a good job at that.

32 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Good points @Canuck Surfer and @oldnews regarding Myers...…..I have to admit, I am not a fan, but your points were valid, and I may have to rethink my opinion.

It is that 6 million, I have trouble swallowing...……..

If we were looking at what these guys would cost...…..Myers (6.0 M), Tanev (5.25 M), Tryamkin (3.25 M) Rafferty (1.00 M) is that an acceptable cost for your RHD?

Is 15.5 Million for your RHD  low enough cost?

With a LHD of Hughes (7.0 M), Edler (6.0 M), Juolevi (1.0 M) and Fantenberg (1.0 M) = 15.0 M

That is 30.5 Million for your defense...………...I think that would be the highest in the league...……...and far from the best

So what gives?

Tryamkin isn't likely to cost that much IMO. I also have my doubts Tanev gets more than $4.5m +/- personally.

Also hard to say what that D looks like or how they compare to the 'best' either given many of them aren't even currently playing in the league...

Edited by aGENT

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

The difference between Sutter 4.4 and Baertschi 3.4 is 1 million

Solely based on salary is a really poor, reductive way to look at it.

Baertschi is 'dead cap' in the AHL

Sutter is your #7 forward

Principal penalty killer

2nd lowest ozone starts on the team (to Beagle).

Positive goal diffentilal 5 on 5 in that role.

Lowest goals against per 60 (2.2) on the team

17 pts in 44 games

Even Baertschi - or Luongo recrap aside - there are other players I'd buy out before Sutter (who I'd name if pressed, but they aren't the point).

i am the smart GIF by myLAB Box