The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Could Coronavirus Lead to the Return of Compliance Buyouts?

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We can just LTIR Ferland if it doesn't work out. Why waste a buy out?

LTIR limits a team's flexibility.  It's challenging to deal with when the team has several players on ELCs.  LTIR doesn't allow to bank cap space and creates bonus overages.  It also limits who can be recalled.  The Canucks are expected to continue to integrate ELC players.

It's also for planning purposes.  Ferland expects to play next season and they might not know whether he can before the start of next season.  Canucks can't just assume he will go on LTIR and use up his cap space.  In the off-season they are going to have to assume he is healthy to play.  If he can't go they must have an AHL option to replace him.  

If they buy him out then they have clarity and can build a roster using his 3.5M and without the uncertainty on whether he will play or not. 

Teams can't buy out an injured player so that might not even be an option.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I disagree with Beagle. But Baer only as 1 year left, would rather use it on someone with more term.

Like?

Only other guy it might make sense to drop instead, is Ferland. And they'd have to be pretty certain he wasn't going to recover in that case.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Like?

Only other guy it might make sense to drop instead, is Ferland. And they'd have to be pretty certain he wasn't going to recover in that case.

Don't have to use 2 buyouts right away, you can save one when the time is right to use it again.

If the Canucks want to clear the maximum amount of money through these buyouts I'd reckon you buyout:

Loui Eriksson

Brandon Sutter

That'll clear 10.375 mill off the books.

What I expect to happen if this becomes real:

Loui Eriksson

Sven Baertschi

Sutter and Baertschi both have contracts that expire next year. Sutter can still play in the NHL whereas Baertschi can only return to the NHL if he's on a minimum deal somewhere. There was a rumor that Baer was being targeted by CBJ. And I suspect other NHL teams would give him a chance if he was signed to a deal that was less than 2 mill a year. As it stands now, Baer's contract is worth 3.366 mill annually.

If you want to really save yourself from headaches down the line you'd buyout:

Loui Eriksson

Tyler Myers

Myers contract will age badly in years 4 & 5, I suppose. Get out now before you have to deal with that headache. This won't happen.

Also, I don't expect Ferland to be a Compliance guy. He seems destined to be an LTIR guy whose contract gets dealt around in the next few years.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

"but in the end they'd be saving a couple overpaid guys on every team "

They would be fighting to preserve the collective agreement that both sides signed.

"agree the owners/GM's would probably start mass demotions to the AH"

As long as they comply with the collective agreement, otherwise the league would likely lose and "unfair bargaining" lawsuit and a ton of money in settlement costs.

Like I indicated, the PA could justifiably oppose any unilateral changes to the CBA and likey win easily - it is, as you say, a mutually agreed binding contract,  but doing so would have some seriously negative consequences for their own members - not the least of which would be their most vulnerable,  lower-compensated short-career members.  

The PA recognized there was an issue last time they agreed to contravene the CBA for the compliance buyouts, this current situation is no different imo - speaking strictly financially that is.

I'm not saying the PA would be wrong in opposing any changes in the CBA,  just that if they chose that option they'd be hurting many of their own members.  There's a 'workaround' with precedence that they agreed to before, it has benefits for both sides.

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Like I indicated, the PA could justifiably oppose any unilateral changes to the CBA and likey win easily - it is, as you say, a mutually agreed binding contract,  but doing so would have some seriously negative consequences for their own members - not the least of which would be their most vulnerable,  lower-compensated short-career members.  

The PA recognized there was an issue last time they agreed to contravene the CBA for the compliance buyouts, this current situation is no different imo - speaking strictly financially that is.

I'm not saying the PA would be wrong in opposing any changes in the CBA,  just that if they chose that option they'd be hurting many of their own members.  There's a 'workaround' with precedence that they agreed to before, it has benefits for both sides.

The NHLPA would have no choice but to oppose changes to their collective agreement, if they just allow change then the players that just got shafted then have a lawsuit against the Players Association.

Legally binding agreements are not just wave a hand and make it disappear stuff.

Change is possible, but every body has to be taken care of, can't screw over  anyone.

Edited by gurn

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

The NHLPA would have no choice but to oppose changes to their collective agreement, if they just allow change then the players that just got shafted then have a lawsuit against the Players Association.

Legally binding agreements are not just wave a hand and make it disappear stuff.

Change is possible, but every body has to be taken care of, can't screw over  anyone.

not so sure about that

jimmy can provide better information likely

but seems to me this intervening coronavirus issue

might be adequate to support an argument that the nhlpa collective agreement has been frustrated

as i understand it, there is an intervening unforeseen event, that has made the carrying out of the contract in its contemplated terms impossible

but i leave that to the experts on this issue

(if this is correct, the nhlpa might not be enforceable)

otherwise, when the government shuts down non essential businesses

what happens to all the contractual obligations that these non essentials are required to perform?

you think they will all be successfully sued

when the government made them shut down for medical reasons

Edited by coastal.view
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Why are people wanting to buyout Myers? Who are you replacing him with? Pietrangelo isn't going to hit UFA (especially if St Louis can clear out cap space with compliance buyouts). Barrie will be looking at who pays him the most and he will be more of a liability on defense than Myers (Barrie is better offensively, but not needed at his price tag IMO). Then there's a drop off of players basically around Myers' level anyway. If we are looking to trade, then it's not going to be cheap. Myers fill a top 4 RD spot that we have been desperately needing for years. If we clear out cap and re-sign Tanev and add Tryamkin, that's a formidable RD group. With maybe Stecher and/or Rafferty as depth.

Loui is the no brainier option. Baertschi IMO is the other no brainier option. He's 2+ million of dead cap right now. No one wants him at his price tag and we don't want to give up assets to move him. Give him an opportunity to sign a cheap deal with another team to try and re-establish himself rather than bury his career (he's been relatively good to us even though he's been demoted, so he's deserving of the chance). Sutter, Beagle (PK centers, with the hopeful development of Michaelis to replace Sutter in a year) and Roussel still provide value to the team (Roussel is tradable value if needed). Ferland may not be able to be bought out of he's injured and if he is then he goes on LTIR, but if he can get back on track, he could still hold value.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

I hear you,  but then how did the compliance buyouts work last time then.....players got screwed as you put it and nobody,  to my knowledge, successfully sued the PA.

My 2 would be Loui and Sutter...I'm beyond sick of seeing Sutter on this team!!!

Gaudette is a better 3rd center option and Beagle is a better 4th so no room for this floater!!

Edited by goog16
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Another interesting issue is compensation for the TDL moves- teams like the Canucks who gave up assets to get into/play in the playoffs have a fair argument as far as they got robbed of the time/opportunity they paid for.  

I also wonder if teams like Detroit are going to get robbed to because technically there were no playoffs, and therefore the lottery draft odds may be stretched to the whole league based on standings.

Where do you make the cut off for the draft lottery?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Ferland would make more sense over Baer unless he plans on retiring. Baer has one year left Ferland has like 3 years and the same health concerns.

That's a good point, had considered it, and went with Baer eating up nhl cap in the AHL, and Ferland could go on ltir if need be. @mll makes a solid point against that, with call up eligibility, bonus overages etc... but because Ferland's injured, it might not be allowed under the cba. I feel that if he comes back next season and has to go on ltir again, I think that'll be it for him and he'll likely call it a career. Not sure if the cap hit goes away or not though, anyone know?

I could see this happening if the salary cap drops due to this virus. Not sure if they would add it if the cap was to stay the same tho. Also believe it would be 1 buyout only not 2.

We can pray for 2 tho!! Would never happen but I would like to free up 12m with LoserSSon and Myers gone. If it was 2 it would be LoserSSon for sure and then likely Sven, but I agree with another poster I would hold on to Sven for 1 year and consider someone with more term for the 2nd buyout