The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks can only sign two of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom

Rate this topic

Me_

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

They have a signed CBA that designates 50% split of revenue. If Revenue falls by 40%, they either rollback salaries, or they increase escrow to accommodate.

Players are already not happy with current Escrow levels, so it would be more likely that they would accept a rollback as its already built into the current CBA, that if league revenues rebound more than expected, the players automatically receive the additional revenue share to bring them back up to 50%.

This is how the current CBA works, they would realistically, only have those options unless someone can figure out how to restore the additional revenue.

The NHL annual revenue is 5.09 billion.

This shutdown has already cost the NHL more than a billion and climbing.

Not difficult math to do to come up with a number, the balancing has to come from somewhere.

“If revenue falls by 40%”

Thats a big if at this point and I doubt they’re going to set the cap based on that.

Everyone knows a new deal with NBC is going to be signed soon which will likely see 3-4 billion dollars coming the leagues way over the next 10 years. 

That there is enough motivation for the league to make sure there’s no work stoppages. Players will not eat it that much, the owners can though.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

“If revenue falls by 40%”

Thats a big if at this point and I doubt they’re going to set the cap based on that.

Everyone knows a new deal with NBC is going to be signed soon which will likely see 3-4 billion dollars coming the leagues way over the next 10 years. 

That there is enough motivation for the league to make sure there’s no work stoppages. Players will not eat it that much, the owners can though.

This is a realistic estimate based on where everything is at right now. The Cap is set by that, this is established in the CBA, its a legal contract.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I don’t see a way they allow that to happen with CBA negotiations coming up.

I could see it going down to something like 75 million with the salary floor being lowered more than usual in order to accommodate weaker markets. A 50% rollback would be too drastic, you might as well fold the league if it gets to that point.

It would be okay if the allow each team 3 buyouts??? Erickson 6 million, Luongo 3 million, Beagle 3.3 x... So that would be 12 million for Vancouver..

These UFA's this summer will not be making the big Dollars, will force team to watch there spending..

Edited by wildcam

What would be the financial gain if LE et. al. are sent to the minors?  They still get paid the same and we get to take those bad contracts off the Canucks books thus leaving more room to sign all three.

That all said, each player will have to ask themselves, like Burrows, Kesler, and the Sedins did pre 2010-2011, do you want to play for a team on the rise with a chance to win or do you want money? If money is your sole ambition, then they are not team players.  All parties need to make things work if this all happens.  And I think we can get it done. 

Edited by The Colt 45s

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Contracts can be renegotiated.

That's what they are doing right now with the future CBA.

The players and the owners chose not to exit the current CBA early.

We will see how it plays out, but unless they can find a way to increase revenue, CBA is what it is, and its very clear on 50% share of hockey related revenues. The NHL hasn't been exactly open to negotiating this. Unless the owners suddenly decide that they are okay paying the players 70% share of revenue for a season, Cap will fall to whatever 50% of revenue share actually represents. To think that it won't is wishful thinking.

However, this means that contracts will be adjusted down as well in a rollback, and its not just the NHL that is looking at doing this, its all leagues.

What might be negotiable would be that both sides would likely agree to would be that the whatever the rollback turns out to be, it would be sliding scale; fluid from one season to the next. So example would be, if revenues fall by 2 billion (40%) players agree to a 40% rollback of current salaries. If it bounces back by 1.5 billion the following season, then for that next season, their rollback is only 15%. This would effectively be a hybrid escrow model.

Regardless, the only way there won't be a rollback is if the owners suddenly feel generous and increase the players share of Hockey revenue for a couple of seasons and commit to taking the losses.

Again, all leagues are currently dealing with this question, will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nik is great, but he's no Tanev defensively. We'd still need to bring in someone who can eat up the hard minutes Tanev does, so I don't know that we'd really have any cost saving by letting Tanev walk, maybe  $1 mil or so? 

From a goals against pov, it might be better to keep Tanev and bring in Nik to replace Stecher, and let Toffoli go if we cant buy out Loui. That would suck but TDL moves are often more expensive than they're worth. 

Boeser, problem solved

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Boeser, problem solved

yeah thats one where you and i have to agree to disagree. There was an analysis this am showing how Petey is top 4 in the league in p/60. Guess who was #9? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats one where you and i have to agree to disagree. There was an analysis this am showing how Petey is top 4 in the league in p/60. Guess who was #9? 

There's nothing Boes can do that Toffoli can't and the return for Boeser goes a long way to the future.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Remember, the most commonly speculated plan for completion of this season is TV only. That restricts revenue that's possible for playoffs.

On a positive note, people are still going to be highly restricted in going out/gathering in any numbers (hence spending more time at home) and there will be desperate, pent up demand for sports and entertainment. TV ad revenues will likely go up compared to normal in this scenario, covering some of that difference.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boeser, problem solved

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@stawns has got a real dislike for Brock as a future part of this team lol.... I still don’t get it, I’m 100% with jimmy on this, keep Boeser guy’s a player.  

....it’d be real nice if we could keep both; good time for OJ to suddenly break out and fix the problem on Defense :bigblush:

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

On a positive note, people are still going to be highly restricted in going out/gathering in any numbers (hence spending more time at home) and there will be desperate, pent up demand for sports and entertainment. TV ad revenues will likely go up compared to normal in this scenario, covering some of that difference.

Doesn't help when the contract isn't up for renewal.

Edited by King Heffy

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This exactly. They need to get creative on how they generate revenue out of this.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Doesn't help when the contract isn't up for renewal.

I don't think anything is written in stone after this (player contracts expiring in July for example). We've never experienced anything like this before and corporations, unions etc are going to have to work together to figure out mutually beneficial ways to bend existing contracts to suit this new reality.

Edited by aGENT

25 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

@stawns has got a real dislike for Brock as a future part of this team lol.... I still don’t get it, I’m 100% with jimmy on this, keep Boeser guy’s a player.  

....it’d be real nice if we could keep both; good time for OJ to suddenly break out and fix the problem on Defense :bigblush:

You don't have to dislike a player to think it solves a lot of problems if traded

You have to get a good return to make it a good trade...that is it!

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What is the return Jimmy...…….that is what is important

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think anything is written in stone after this (player contracts expiring in July for example). We've never experienced anything like this before and corporations, unions etc are going to have to work together to figure out mutually beneficial ways to bend existing contracts to suit this new reality.

I don't foresee sports networks being in a position to pay more money though.  There's a limit to the revenue they're getting from showing re-runs of games and highlight packages.

I think Toffoli wants to be here. There is a special team here with loads of talent. His bestie Pearson is here and I believe he is hungry to win the cup still. There is great opportunity for him here. Vancouver is also a great city, and is similar to LA. Not many NHL cities have those qualities going for them except for SJ and ANA. The difference is those teams are dumpster fires.

We also need to keep him to solidify our top 6.